PDA

View Full Version : Are people born gay or is it a free choice?

.Joshua.
20-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Are people born gay or is it a free choice?

So, the questions are;

- Are people born homosexual, or is it a free choice?

- Why are people homophobic, are they hiding their own sexuality?

- Is it socially acceptable to be homosexual?

[Remember, this is your opinion!]

Homosexuality was illegal in the UK until 1967. it was made legal when parliament passes the law "Sexual Offences Act 1967". Just thought i'd add that.

Also in many countries, e.g. Pakistan, homosexuality is still illegal, hence why in Eastenders, Syed, doesn't want to return to Pakistan, because of his sexuality. Just though i'd add that too.

Alough the Bible says that sexual intercourse was made for procreation (the making of new life) that's why Catholics are against contraception and homosexuality.

Thread moved by Lee (Forum Moderator): From 'Health, Life and Relationships'.

Samantha
20-07-2012, 07:32 PM
I think everyone could be born with tendancies to like the other sex but I also think it's activities and events in your life that would influence you more, people online may get those urges more than those who aren't online all the time if that makes sense. I feel you're more pressured in educational places such as school and colleges to be heterosexual instead of homosexual and that you can't really be sure (in some cases) until that milestone has ended (I know in cases too you can be sure as it takes everyone a different time frame to decide).

I'm not sure why people are homophobic, they may not be used to someone of another sexuality therefore unsure what to think or do. I remember when my friend told me she was bisexual about 3-4 years ago I was scared, not because I was against it but I just hadn't known anyone who put that much trust in me and she was the first one to tell me about her sexuality. Luckily, the scaredness ended after a couple of days and that could be why some people are homophobic too; I think there are many reasons and only you may know why you feel like that or you may not know at all.

I find it perfectly acceptable to be homosexual, others may disagree and think it goes against so and so but you can't help who you like really, it doesn't matter if it's a person of the same sex - you can adopt so really you can 'procreate' as you are giving that child a second chance at live aren't you?

Empired
20-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I reckon being gay depends partly on your genes, how you were brought up, your personal (although often subconscious) choice and the environment you're in.
Having it in your genes is technically being "born gay", but I think other things in life can change your sexuality (especially as a young child, although you don't realise anything yet) a lot. If you're brought up to despise homosexuals, then you are much less likely to become one. However it would seem people with gay parents are less likely to become gay too. Don't really know the reason for this :S Something to do with wanting to be brought up "normally" or something? (Just a guess.)
The environment you are in means like there are some countries/towns/communities with more gay couples than others. If you are in one of these environments, you're more likely to accept or at least get used to seeing a gay couple rather than someone who has never even had the idea cross their mind because if you haven't seen it, why would you think of it?
Your personal choice is obviously affected by all of these things, but there's still a little bit down to you too :)

I definitely don't believe all homophobic people are this way because they are hiding their own sexuality. I think most of them just struggle to deal with the idea of people being "different" and many religious people disagree with gay couples because it's been forbidden in their Holy Books. Also, as Samanfa said, lots of people are afraid of somebody who is brave enough to stand out and be different!

Of course it's "socially acceptable" to be openly gay! In my opinion, that's like asking "is it socially acceptable to be bald". If you want to be something, nobody should be allowed to stop you. Every human has the right to make their own choice about life and, to be honest, I don't see why so many people get upset. Homosexuals are almost always more peaceful than those fighting for gay marriage to be banned. They get on with their lives like ordinary people because they are ordinary people. Why should your sexuality influence what jobs you can get or who wants to be your friend or where you can stay with your partner on holiday? It shouldn't!

MKR&*42
20-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I think for the majority of it, it is down to the way you are born. You cannot suddenly decide at 30 "Oh I'm going to be gay". I think the only exception to when changing of sexuality is 'acceptable' is in the adolescent/young adult years. Because a lot of people are going to grow up and realise where their romantic/sexual feelings are truly heading towards (gender wise). Although there will be a rare occurrence when an adult truly realises their sexuality in such a stage at life, it is more likely to occur in teenage/young adult years.

Hm. I'm not sure if you're environment affects your sexuality. Don't get me wrong, I grew up literally surrounded by women and a lot of my friends are women, which is probably led to my "camp" personality lol (I am extremely effeminate irl haha) but I don't believe that influenced my sexuality in any way, shape or form. If anything I'm a lot more likely to lean towards men romantically than women which should have been the opposite if I was raised up around a lot of women? No?.

I believe that unless somehow you are "brainwashed" (not literally... I suppose) from your years of being a child into believing that you should be gay/bi/les whatever, that it is entirely by birth. A lot of masculine, straight men hang around with other men as they grow up through the teenage years and most of them 'claim' to be straight. I suppose it's a difficult situation because they may find it hard to 'come out' to other masculine men if they really are homosexual.

As for the online world, whether that has an impact. Hm. I don't know tbh.

I'm not sure why people are homophobic. 'Tis like asking why is someone a racist, why is someone sexist etc. Everyone has their reasons and they probably do have intense dislike towards people who are gay because maybe they have a fear of becoming like that? Not entirely sure. But I did have a homophobic friend (which is honestly one of the worst things I've had haha, bi + homophobic friend did not work out for me) and his reasoning behind being homophobic was that he had such a fear of gay men touching him up/coming onto him. Which ngl, is a fair reason.

Yes it's socially acceptable to be homosexual. Compared to about 100 years ago, the whole issue of being gay/bi/les whatever is a lot lot lot smaller. It's improved dramatically. It just seems to be a struggle in state schools though haha. Which is why many men I've asked haven't come out until they were 16/17 (out of school) :P

Cerys
20-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I think the main factor is how you were brought up. Eg if you're a boy brought up to do tap dancing or something, then the chances are you'll end up gay.
I personally believe that homophobia is also partially how you were brought up. Parents teach kids loads without actually realising it. I think it's also due to them being uncomfortable around gay people. Perhaps because they are in denial themselves, or because the gay people are happier than the homophobic person, so they're jealous.
Apparantly there's some sort of gay gene that scienctists are investigating. Not too sure if they've proved/disproved this yet, but I'd be interested to find out!
Of course it's acceptable to be homosexual. If it makes you happy, then who really cares? If people judge you for being homosexual, then skrew them, is what I say!

Empired
20-07-2012, 11:13 PM
I think the main factor is how you were brought up. Eg if you're a boy brought up to do tap dancing or something, then the chances are you'll end up gay.
I'm sorry, I fail to see how doing tap dance when you're male automatically makes you gay.

Are all female footballers lesbians?

Cerys
20-07-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm sorry, I fail to see how doing tap dance when you're male automatically makes you gay.

Note the 'Chances' Ok? What I am saying is, the way you're brought up effects it. Is this okay with you?

+ I clearly remember I told you not to talk to me.

Empired
20-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Note the 'Chances' Ok? What I am saying is, the way you're brought up effects it. Is this okay with you?

+ I clearly remember I told you not to talk to me.
Tap dancing has nothing to do with sexuality and I'm not really sure how you managed to get to that conclusion to be honest. Before stating 'chances', I suggest you make sure there is at least a little bit of truth behind it. That would be okay for me.

Cerys
20-07-2012, 11:31 PM
I clearly remember I told you not to talk to me.

just so you've definitely seen it xox

Edited by Sky (Forum Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly!

dbgtz
20-07-2012, 11:41 PM
In my opinion, you are not born or nor is it a free choice. It depends on a persons environment & their nurture.

sex
20-07-2012, 11:45 PM
I personally believe that homophobia is also partially how you were brought up. Parents teach kids loads without actually realising it. I think it's also due to them being uncomfortable around gay people. Perhaps because they are in denial themselves, or because the gay people are happier than the homophobic person, so they're jealous.
Apparantly there's some sort of gay gene that scienctists are investigating. Not too sure if they've proved/disproved this yet, but I'd be interested to find out!
Of course it's acceptable to be homosexual. If it makes you happy, then who really cares? If people judge you for being homosexual, then skrew them, is what I say!

are you actually serious LMAO
doing things does like make you gay
just because you do tap dancing doesnt mean you are going to be suddenly attracted the men
this is so stupid it hurts lol

Cerys
20-07-2012, 11:47 PM
just because you do tap dancing doesnt mean you are going to be suddenly attracted the men

That was only an example - don't take it to heart. What I'm saying is it's the environment that effects it. I was just giving a stereotypical example so even the dumbest of people could understand. Clearly there's people dumber out there.

sex
20-07-2012, 11:52 PM
That was only an example - don't take it to heart. What I'm saying is it's the environment that effects it. I was just giving a stereotypical example so even the dumbest of people could understand. Clearly there's people dumber out there.

Yes and you must be one of them, im not taking it to heart i just found it hilarious that you think this. I was brought up the exact same way as all my brothers yet they are not gay. please stop ur wrong lol

Cerys
20-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes and you must be one of them, im not taking it to heart i just found it hilarious that you think this. I was brought up the exact same way as all my brothers yet they are not gay. please stop ur wrong lol

Wait! What's that? Oh look. On the first post it says '[Remember, this is your opinion!]'
So ya know... I'm not gonna stop. :3

sex
20-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Wait! What's that? Oh look. On the first post it says '[Remember, this is your opinion!]'
So ya know... I'm not gonna stop. :3

well in this case your opinion is wrong. i dont care what you say lol

LiquidLuck.
21-07-2012, 12:02 AM
I think enviroonment doesn't really matter as I know someone that for example, had all the family not really liking bi or gay people, and his own friends too, and he turned out to be bi.

I always thought as me being 100% straight, until my girl friend kissed me out of the blue, and I'm not sure anymore. But until that, I was always ONLY into guys. Still am, I guess. S: You aren't born with anything telling you to be straight or gay. Life will let you find out.

Cerys
21-07-2012, 12:04 AM

Well I really don't give two craps then :) xox

Empired
21-07-2012, 12:08 AM
I think enviroonment doesn't really matter as I know someone that for example, had all the family not really liking bi or gay people, and his own friends too, and he turned out to be bi.

I always thought as me being 100% straight, until my girl friend kissed me out of the blue, and I'm not sure anymore. But until that, I was always ONLY into guys. Still am, I guess. S: You aren't born with anything telling you to be straight or gay. Life will let you find out.
This is an interesting point actually. Experience must play a factor as well. Like someone saying "I hate singing in public" when they haven't even done it before couldn't really say that because they have no real idea, but then if they went out to sing in front of hundreds of people but then all of a suddenly it went fantastically, of course their opinion would change. I'd never thought of this before :)

dbgtz
21-07-2012, 01:09 AM

I'd say she's sort of right. Considering most tap dancers are likely be girls, I think the influence from them could influence your sexuality in future. Saying that if all tap dancers were boys, I think you would most likely be straight. That's my opinion any way.

The Don
21-07-2012, 01:32 AM

ignore cerys, she can't admit when she's wrong/lied

Edited by Sky (Forum Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly!

Eric
21-07-2012, 05:19 AM
In my opinion, i don't think people are gay because of their nuture and environment. I reckon it depends on the genes and DNA of a person. I was born gay and i think most of the homosexuals do too. For example, did you choose to have your natural hair colour? No. Homosexuality is illegal in my country and it's a crime. Homosexual acts could lead to penalty : 20 years jail, fines and whippings (horrible stuff), and there are laws made against homosexuality. I think it's fine to be homosexual. Some of them may disagree and some of them may accept it but in my country it's totally unacceptable. But gays are gay, you can't do anything to turn them into straight :P I'm fine with homosexual friends so yeaa

GoldenMerc
21-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Personally i think its just a preferance

FlyingJesus
21-07-2012, 01:36 PM

Neither, it (along with EVERY OTHER PREFERENCE) is down to the entire culmination of events and reactions experienced in a person's life. No one single thing will "turn" a person, but it's not a choice any more than one could choose to enjoy a certain food or sport

Mostly it's just ignorance. I don't like the whole "homophobes are just insecure and probably repressed gays!!!!" argument, since generally it's not true at all, it's simply that so many people are brought up told that it's something wrong or bad, and half the time never think to question this

Generally, but it still puts you at massively disproportionate risk of bullying and abuse, again due to ignorance

You cannot suddenly decide at 30 "Oh I'm going to be gay". I think the only exception to when changing of sexuality is 'acceptable' is in the adolescent/young adult years.

I don't see why not, especially since people in generations before ours had such stricter taboos on homosexuality. My best friend's mum came out as gay in her 40s having had 3 kids with a guy, these things sometimes are just very heavily repressed

I personally believe that homophobia is also partially how you were brought up.

Yeah like being brought up to believe that any traditionally feminine activity makes a man gay...

Liking fried chicken makes you black, but don't take it to heart.
If you work with kids you're a paedophile, but don't take it to heart.
Having sex means you're going to hell, but don't take it to heart.

What you said was homophobic AND sexist, and the fact that you don't even seem to realise that makes it even worse. Using a "stereotypical example" just reinforces these stereotypes and marginalises people even further, congratulations

I'd say she's sort of right. Considering most tap dancers are likely be girls, I think the influence from them could influence your sexuality in future.

Not sticking with ridiculous gender roles =/= being gay

Samantha
21-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Kikali31; you could be in a phase of being bi curious, I know when someone tells you something/does something like that it makes you consider the thing more. In this case it was your friend kissing you, in mine it was my friend coming out to me it will effect people differently but I don't feel it makes you any less human.

Also @Cerys:; sadly if you post your opinion on Habbox regardless of whether you've told someone not to talk to you they will reply to you if they agree/disagree with something you said.

chantellehugs
21-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Hmm, maybe it's both? Some people say they've felt attracted to the same sex their whole life, whereas you get people who decide many years later that they want to try dating someone of the same sex. If you could take a homosexual person and change their childhood upbringing multiple times and see whether that affected their sexuality later in life we'd find out if the environment played a role. However until someone invents time travel we'll just have to keep guessing :(

Fear of the unknown.

Who cares if it's socially acceptable? Do what makes you happy :)

MKR&*42
21-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Neither, it (along with EVERY OTHER PREFERENCE) is down to the entire culmination of events and reactions experienced in a person's life. No one single thing will "turn" a person, but it's not a choice any more than one could choose to enjoy a certain food or sport

Mostly it's just ignorance. I don't like the whole "homophobes are just insecure and probably repressed gays!!!!" argument, since generally it's not true at all, it's simply that so many people are brought up told that it's something wrong or bad, and half the time never think to question this

Generally, but it still puts you at massively disproportionate risk of bullying and abuse, again due to ignorance

I don't see why not, especially since people in generations before ours had such stricter taboos on homosexuality. My best friend's mum came out as gay in her 40s having had 3 kids with a guy, these things sometimes are just very heavily repressed

Yeah like being brought up to believe that any traditionally feminine activity makes a man gay...

Liking fried chicken makes you black, but don't take it to heart.
If you work with kids you're a paedophile, but don't take it to heart.
Having sex means you're going to hell, but don't take it to heart.

What you said was homophobic AND sexist, and the fact that you don't even seem to realise that makes it even worse. Using a "stereotypical example" just reinforces these stereotypes and marginalises people even further, congratulations

Not sticking with ridiculous gender roles =/= being gay

Sorry I appear to have phrased my paragraph incorrectly haha. I didn't mean "cannot" but I meant that the likelihood of it happening is a lot less for a person in their 30s/40s/50s/etc. Of course some people will take a very long time to discover their true sexuality but it tends to be that people discover theirs whilst in the late teens/20s I think. Not sure if there's actually any statistics on this... doubt it... but it seems to be portrayed as the common pattern? :P

--

Hmm I'm sure I had to say something about bi-curious but It's completely slipped my mind =/

LiquidLuck.
21-07-2012, 07:12 PM
@Kikali31 (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=84526); you could be in a phase of being bi curious, I know when someone tells you something/does something like that it makes you consider the thing more. In this case it was your friend kissing you, in mine it was my friend coming out to me it will effect people differently but I don't feel it makes you any less human.

Also @Cerys:; sadly if you post your opinion on Habbox regardless of whether you've told someone not to talk to you they will reply to you if they agree/disagree with something you said.

About what you said to me, I never said it was making me less human, and I agree with you. It's those types of things that make you wonder. Although, I'm pretty sure I'll keep being into guys since that was something I never doubted about.

About what you said to Cerys, couldn't agree more.

Conspiracy.
21-07-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't think people choose to be gay at all. Why would a person raised by a conservative/homophobic family choose to be gay? My cousin is gay and my aunt and uncle are both strong Jehovah's Witnesses. My aunt and uncle are making his life as difficult as hell. I don't see why he would choose that. He also believes that being gay is a sin (mostly due to being conditioned as a child, but that's a whole other debate)

I didn't wake up one day and decide to start liking guys and girls :| I've never made a conscious decision to be attracted to anyone.

-:Undertaker:-
22-07-2012, 03:22 AM
I think that it is caused by genes (perhaps a genetic mutation which kicks in to prevent population growth, or just a random mutation). The nurture argument is interesting agreed, but I actually think that your personality or likes can be influenced by your genes/chemicals anyway - hence why some people are just more naturally inclined to be good at Maths and others good at English.

In terms of is it a choice, of course not - although it is a choice to engage in it. I don't accept the Kinsey argument that everybody is naturally inclined to both sexes because some people (men in this case) just haven't ever been attracted to women and the same the opposite way around.

Why would a person raised by a conservative/homophobic family choose to be gay?

The word 'homophobic' (questionable itself) shouldn't be put alongside conservatism which is an ideology. Whilst conservative thought may be disapproving of homosexuality, this in no way does it mean conservative thought advocates making homosexuality illegal or punishable.

FlyingJesus
22-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I think that it is caused by genes (perhaps a genetic mutation which kicks in to prevent population growth, or just a random mutation). The nurture argument is interesting agreed, but I actually think that your personality or likes can be influenced by your genes/chemicals anyway - hence why some people are just more naturally inclined to be good at Maths and others good at English.

I agree that there are some natural predispositions that we have - intelligence and certain skills do tend to seem inherited traits to some degree - but if there is some actual genetic mutation involved I think it would have to be a random one rather than DNA that regulates population, as there's no way a cluster of cells can know what the current population status of humans is :P unless you can use that to justify some sort of fertility deity's involvement, which is possible considering the rate of homosexuality (in other animals too, notably rabbits) supposedly does increase with overpopulation.

In terms of is it a choice, of course not - although it is a choice to engage in it. I don't accept the Kinsey argument that everybody is naturally inclined to both sexes because some people (men in this case) just haven't ever been attracted to women and the same the opposite way around.

Yeah Kinsey is an idiot... pretty sure it was them who also brought about the 6" myth by simply ASKING men how big their junk was and having no scientific involvement whatsoever

MKR&*42
22-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah Kinsey is an idiot... pretty sure it was them who also brought about the 6" myth by simply ASKING men how big their junk was and having no scientific involvement whatsoever

Really? My God. I knew the average wasn't 6" (I'm sure it's more like 5" or so in the UK) but I had no idea he came to that conclusion by asking males to tell him their size... How does one not see the flawed logic in that?

MatthewRMG
22-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm pretty sure I was born gay - I can see the viewpoint of "Do you decide to be gay?" but in my case, it doesn't apply: I didn't choose to be gay. :P

GommeInc
23-07-2012, 12:46 AM
My opinion seems to vary all the time. I find it a mixture of both. A friend of mine was straight when he was younger at school and college (he went out with girls, had sex - standard Essex) but realised he was gay when he went to University and literally has no interests in girls at all. I suppose you could say he was fine with girls because they were something he knew and he didn't know better and experimented later on to find out what he really liked.

But I also have met people who instinctly known they were gay and gone into having sex with the same sex and have no urges to sleep with the opposite.

It's a discussion which really does justice to the whole "the world isn't black and white" quote. Some people experiment and then choose what they prefer, which some argue is sort of like bisexuality, but then you get the argument of is that just a form of having a choice that changes depending on mood or happy to sleep with anything regardless of mood, although personally I think sexuality is chosen based on what you have chosen to stick with either by choice or simply because anything else feels wrong.

It's a topic that is talked about too much really that it's literally talked about ad nauseam (to the point of nausea, use it in essays - you will be loved for it ;) ).

GirlNextDoor15
23-07-2012, 09:18 AM
http://www.truth-and-justice.info/2007/born-gay.html

GommeInc
23-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I love it when seemingly educated people like the writer seem to forget the odd thing. They mention that the only correct use of the anal passage is the removal of products, yet anal sex is enjoyable to both heterosexual and homosexual couples. If it was designed purely to eject waste, why on earth do people feel happy to have sex in that style? Surely if it was wrong, it would feel wrong or lack any sort of pleasurable sexual experience? Like having sex with an ear. Do they discourage oral sex too, which is also the "incorrect use of reproductive organs" as they are literally only meant to slot something into something, like a simplistic IKEA instruction manual of slot part A into part B?

They just come off as not getting any, or naive.

PiippBB
23-07-2012, 04:57 PM

Completely agree. I'm gay myself and believe me, my upbringing did nothing to 'make me gay.' I've always known I was gay; I remember being at school at the age of five and I just knew even then that I didn't like girls at all. Of course, during my childhood I had no idea about sex, etc, but I always knew that I wouldn't even have a wife and children because I knew I liked boys, even at that young age. I think people are definitely born gay. Yes, some people may not realise this, and influences in their life may make them realise their sexuality, that's always going to be the case in a society where you are brought up to know that you should like the opposite sex. But I don't think you can be 'made' gay by anything, I don't think you can suddenly realise you are gay; I think it's always there to start with, you just didn't know it or, in many cases, tried to deny it to yourself. It's certainly not a choice; you either like the same sex or you don't, same as being straight. If you don't like it, you don't like it, there's no way to make yourself like it.

---------- Post added 23-07-2012 at 06:00 PM ----------

I love it when seemingly educated people like the writer seem to forget the odd thing. They mention that the only correct use of the anal passage is the removal of products, yet anal sex is enjoyable to both heterosexual and homosexual couples. If it was designed purely to eject waste, why on earth do people feel happy to have sex in that style? Surely if it was wrong, it would feel wrong or lack any sort of pleasurable sexual experience? Like having sex with an ear. Do they discourage oral sex too, which is also the "incorrect use of reproductive organs" as they are literally only meant to slot something into something, like a simplistic IKEA instruction manual of slot part A into part B?

They just come off as not getting any, or naive.

Men enjoy anal sex because it stimulates the prostate; a very sensitive gland reached only through the anus. Another problem with the Catholic stance; if you were to follow that completely it would only ever be acceptable to stimulate ones self through vaginal sex with a woman (without contraception too).

PS: I hope this post isn't going too far. If it is, then MODs, please delete it. Don't wanna get in trouble, just discussing the debate.

GommeInc
23-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Men enjoy anal sex because it stimulates the prostate; a very sensitive gland reached only through the anus. Another problem with the Catholic stance; if you were to follow that completely it would only ever be acceptable to stimulate ones self through vaginal sex with a woman (without contraception too).

PS: I hope this post isn't going too far. If it is, then MODs, please delete it. Don't wanna get in trouble, just discussing the debate.
Indeed, but these people who write this sorts of articles clearly do not know anything about the human body and seem rather naive about sex. Anal and oral are both enjoyable and natural, yet for some reason they're blissfully unaware of this and just label homosexual or non-reproductive sex as wrong and unnatural. If they were, it wouldn't be enjoyable or possible, like having a go with someones nose or ear.

And I think we're fine as long as we do not go into too much detail (anal, oral etc are unfiltered for these reasons).

FlyingJesus
23-07-2012, 10:55 PM

What a ridiculous response they give, especially this part: "In prisons some people become sodomized because of losing a game of cards - they gamble away their last, and sometimes the only, "asset" - the anal passage. Once this happens, previously "straight" people become "bent" or "gay"."

No, people in prisons primarily get sodomised because they are physically weaker and therefore get RAPED, which does not make one gay, it makes one a rape victim. The pain and trauma of that alone is more than anyone should ever have to handle, but comments like this then add shaming and character debasement to the victim. Furthermore, having a homosexual experience does not make one gay necessarily, any more than having a heterosexual one makes one straight.

They mention that the only correct use of the anal passage is the removal of products, yet anal sex is enjoyable to both heterosexual and homosexual couples. If it was designed purely to eject waste, why on earth do people feel happy to have sex in that style? Surely if it was wrong, it would feel wrong or lack any sort of pleasurable sexual experience? Like having sex with an ear. Do they discourage oral sex too, which is also the "incorrect use of reproductive organs" as they are literally only meant to slot something into something, like a simplistic IKEA instruction manual of slot part A into part B?

Didn't you know that anything other than sober vaginal intercourse in missionary with a committed spouse is the wrong way to do it and can't possibly be of interest to anyone other than a perverse and godless barbarian? Gosh Ryan read a book ;||||||

Dean
24-07-2012, 08:57 AM
No, people are not born homosexual. Homosexuality is an effect of your environment, surroundings and people really. I guess a lot of factors can determine wether or not you'll be homosexual or not later on in life. I would say it's similar to learning as no one really knows anything from birth, so what you do as a baby/child will probably impact your views on life and what people you desire. Some may disagree but that's the only logical reason in my mind.

GommeInc
24-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Didn't you know that anything other than sober vaginal intercourse in missionary with a committed spouse is the wrong way to do it and can't possibly be of interest to anyone other than a perverse and godless barbarian? Gosh Ryan read a book ;||||||
Forgive me Jesus for I have sinned :( I only ever read Nuts or whatever those top shelf magazines are with the colourful and imaginative positions :'(

What a ridiculous response they give, especially this part: "In prisons some people become sodomized because of losing a game of cards - they gamble away their last, and sometimes the only, "asset" - the anal passage. Once this happens, previously "straight" people become "bent" or "gay"."
It makes you wonder what their limits are on the understanding that the anal passage is the last and only asset we have. Is it necessarily limited to prisons or can we use it to barter in auctions or markets as well, or as a type of insurance? It'll make for an interesting shopping trip abroad.

PiippBB
24-07-2012, 06:48 PM
No, people are not born homosexual. Homosexuality is an effect of your environment, surroundings and people really. I guess a lot of factors can determine wether or not you'll be homosexual or not later on in life. I would say it's similar to learning as no one really knows anything from birth, so what you do as a baby/child will probably impact your views on life and what people you desire. Some may disagree but that's the only logical reason in my mind.

You can't really state that as fact; because it's not. The truth is no one really knows; it could be both. But I am gay and I can say for certain I have always been so. I therefore accept I WAS born homosexual. My environment had nothing to do with it. My Brothers grew up in exactly the same environment as myself and they aren't gay. You either like the same sex or you don't. With your argument you could just as easily say no one is born hetrosexual and it is the environment they grow up in that makes them straight.

Futz
24-07-2012, 07:03 PM

I'd say if they are truely gay and not going through a phase like most these teen girls saying they're bi then they're born like it, messed up testosterone and oestroggeowggg levels

Probably raised around an idea like religious tools

This generation I guess people are accepting it, it's more of the older/religious people who are homophobic and chavs

sex
24-07-2012, 07:05 PM
why would people who grow up in such homophobic country's where being gay is punishable by death choose to be gay, surely their environment wouldn't make they gay either since there is a strong stance against it?

buttons
24-07-2012, 07:23 PM

I'd say she's sort of right. Considering most tap dancers are likely be girls, I think the influence from them could influence your sexuality in future. Saying that if all tap dancers were boys, I think you would most likely be straight. That's my opinion any way.
so girls who play football are lesbians
guys who cook are gay
what? neither of these activities involves being brainwashed into believe you're gay or carrying out homosexual activities so how can it make you more likely to be one? enjoying something that isn't homosexual sex doesn't make you homosexual..?

but yeah i agree with people who ask why you'd choose to be gay? it's usually the people who aren't actually gay that will say it's a choice but whose logic would make more sense, the heterosexuals or the homosexuals?

all my first crushes were girls and i've always did generally feminine activities. i didn't fancy guys until i was 14 then i was obsessed with them for quite a while. sometimes i go through phases of preferring females only or preferring males only. it's not like "oh a guy was a **** to me so i'll go back to girls" it's just something that happens but in general i'm equally attracted to both but i definitely started off fancying girls.

i think it can be a mix of both. i was brought up with boys and hung out with girls so that could have 'started' the homosexual tendencies but i still like boys and i know plenty people who have been brought up the same way and remain straight. maybe there's some sort of psychological meaning behind bisexuality (why does no-one ever ask what causes bisexuality? i'm curious lol pun not intended ;l) or homosexuality but meh. i don't see it as a problem. i see it as most likely genetics though, it's seen in animals too so yeah.

i've also read like left handed people or people with a certain index finger:ring finger ratio are more likely to be homosexual. your dominant hand can be caused by genetics or complications in pregnancy, a bit like how some schizophrenia can be caused by the mother having the flu while she's pregnant. sorta makes sense like a bad pregnancy leads to problems with the child - talking about schizophrenia being a problem, not homosexuality as i don't believe it is. so if pregnancy complications leads to left handedness it could also lead to homosexuality and so it's not actually inherited but not from upbringing either, just from pregnancy. wow im bad at explaining

dbgtz
24-07-2012, 07:24 PM
so girls who play football are lesbians
guys who cook are gay
what? neither of these activities involves being brainwashed into believe you're gay or carrying out homosexual activities so how can it make you more likely to be one? enjoying something that isn't homosexual sex doesn't make you homosexual..?

but yeah i agree with people who ask why you'd choose to be gay? it's usually the people who aren't actually gay that will say it's a choice but whose logic would make more sense, the heterosexuals or the homosexuals?

all my first crushes were girls and i've always did generally feminine activities. i didn't fancy guys until i was 14 then i was obsessed with them for quite a while. sometimes i go through phases of preferring females only or preferring males only. it's not like "oh a guy was a **** to me so i'll go back to girls" it's just something that happens but in general i'm equally attracted to both but i definitely started off fancying girls.

i think it can be a mix of both. i was brought up with boys and hung out with girls so that could have 'started' the homosexual tendencies but i still like boys and i know plenty people who have been brought up the same way and remain straight. maybe there's some sort of psychological meaning behind bisexuality (why does no-one ever ask what causes bisexuality? i'm curious lol pun not intended ;l) or homosexuality but meh. i don't see it as a problem. i see it as most likely genetics though, it's seen in animals too so yeah.

i've also read like "left handed people are more likely to be homosexual" or they're more likely to have some sort of ratio from their ring finger and index finger so it could be due to complications in pregnancy just like how schizophrenia can come from flu during pregnancy. so it's not actually INHERITED but not from your upbringing either.

No, I was trying to say that the influence of a gender and their interests would influence your own.

FlyingJesus
24-07-2012, 07:27 PM
why would people who grow up in such homophobic country's where being gay is punishable by death choose to be gay, surely their environment wouldn't make they gay either since there is a strong stance against it?

THAT SAID, I JUST SAW SOME GIRL'S TUMBLR WHO CLAIMED SHE HAD "RENOUNCED" BEING WHITE AND IS NOW GOING TO LIVE A LIFE OF OPPRESSION. NOT EVEN A TROLL ACCOUNT

No, I was trying to say that the influence of a gender and their interests would influence your own.

And again, breaking gender roles =/= being gay

dbgtz
24-07-2012, 08:04 PM
And again, breaking gender roles =/= being gay

Sorry I didn't realise your opinion was fact.

FlyingJesus
24-07-2012, 08:14 PM
That isn't an opinion... a male doing something that's typically viewed as being "feminine" definitely does not make him gay, by definition.

brb telling all girls who wear trousers that they're lesbians

GommeInc
24-07-2012, 09:03 PM
What if it's a boy? Short hair amongst women is in at the moment, it all gets rather confusing with this stereotype business :(

What do people label as homophobic? I think hah mentioned it and it got me thinking. Would you say it's any comment or literally when things turn a bit violent and overly hateful? I guess it depends if you believe in passive-homophobia (if such a term makes sense).

FlyingJesus
24-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Depends if you take it by its intended definition of discriminatory ideas and behaviours towards homosexuals/homosexual acts, or if instead you turn into Dan and focus solely on the word roots of "phobia" and declare it void in order to allow the total dehumanisation of people who do things you don't like doing

Kardan
24-07-2012, 09:25 PM
People are not born homosexual, because to be born homosexual, you would be homosexual at birth, and frankly, at birth you are neither homosexual or heterosexual. Things at birth are genetic, and personally I believe that homosexuality isn't genetic, it's all to do with environment, up-bringing etc.

mrwoooooooo
24-07-2012, 09:27 PM
guy does ballet > hears girls talking about girl stuff what boys they fancy > starts to think the same thing because young and impressionable. etc etc

obviously everyone is different though

peteyt
27-07-2012, 04:06 AM
I don't think your born gay. I think it just depends. Some people love Chicken some people hate it, where we born hating/loving it or did we not decide it ourselves?

Interestingly the idea your born either gay or straight gets confusing when you look at bisexuals. I just think some people prefer one or the other but some aren't picky. Homophobia depends on how you where brought up - if you where brought up by a family who hates gays or maybe their religion didn't agree with them there's a chance you'll have the same views or if you don't it might be because you don't believe in their beliefs or some and kind of want to rebel. Some people who are homophobic could be hiding their own sexuality but many just hate the idea of two guys instead of a guy and a girl

dbgtz
27-07-2012, 12:25 PM
That isn't an opinion... a male doing something that's typically viewed as being "feminine" definitely does not make him gay, by definition.

I never said that. If you read what I put, I said it would be influenced by the people around the person.

GirlNextDoor15
27-07-2012, 12:28 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=724465&highlight=born+gay
was hil

The Don
27-07-2012, 02:15 PM
It isn't a choice. For example, why would people choose to be gay in Uganda? Anyone who thinks it's down to freewill needs their heads examined

Ardemax
28-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Anyone who thinks it's down to freewill needs their heads examined

Or better put: "Anyone with a different opinion needs their heads examined", which is basically what you are saying.

I personally don't think you can be "born" gay and I don't believe in a "gay" gene. All the pro-evolutionists in this thread should also agree that this idea seems flawed...

Alas it's an old debate that will probably never have a definite answer.

The Don
28-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Or better put: "Anyone with a different opinion needs their heads examined", which is basically what you are saying.

I personally don't think you can be "born" gay and I don't believe in a "gay" gene. All the pro-evolutionists in this thread should also agree that this idea seems flawed...

Alas it's an old debate that will probably never have a definite answer.

because my opinions correct

Ardemax
28-07-2012, 07:08 PM
because my opinions correct

Also for the point regarding "why would people choose to be gay in Uganda?": because they feel what they are doing is right/normal?

For example, you cannot be born a Christian, yet many people choose to be one in such places like China and are persecuted daily for it.

The Don
28-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Also for the point regarding "why would people choose to be gay in Uganda?": because they feel what they are doing is right/normal?

For example, you cannot be born a Christian, yet many people choose to be one in such places like China and are persecuted daily for it.

Religion and Sexual orientation are two completely different things and you can't really compare the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMjXucTFaM

I advise you watch "Worlds Worst Place To Be Gay", doesn't look like they feel what they are doing is right/normal.

GommeInc
28-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Religion and Sexual orientation are two completely different things and you can't really compare the two.
Backing up this claim: Some people grow out of religion, or find it isn't right for them (expectations, world, counter-beliefs etc etc). Sexual orientation is on the opposite end of the scale. It's difficult/impossible to change your orientation, it's part of your personality.

The born with or grown up with argument is interesting, as there is no hard, scientific evidence to support either of them. You could say that sexual orientation is not something you are born with, but is something that you understand fully when you reach the right age where you understand sexuality - but not in a society/growing up sense where the environment effects who you are and what you do. A sort of middle area where both age and genetic/impulses collide.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!