PDA

View Full Version : Have I ruined my chances...?

Zak
25-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Just want your honest opinion on things here.

In March maybe? February? I was arrested - charge brought against me was assault.

Although I was not formally charged (i.e. letter to go to court etc), therefore not convicted. I still had to have my fingerprints, dna, photograph taken. Not going into it too much but it was self defence, though because the injuries I had caused him and due to minor injuries on me ... and me being a kid (lets face it) I was arrested and not him. (He was 40, I was 20 at the time).

I want to be a teacher, 16+. I'm not sure if that requires an e-CRB. I will pass a CRB check because I have never been cautioned, warned, convicted or charged with anything. But in the likely event I need an enhanced CRB check it is more than likely to show up, that I've been arrested - what for - and what action was taken.. Any notes made by the constable etc.

So, on to the question. Think I'm screwed or not?
Thanks in advance, try not to rain down your judgement too harshly as it really wasn't my fault.

lawrawrrr
25-07-2012, 11:50 AM
You'll probably need an advanced CRB check to be a teacher. Does the record say it was in self defence? But as you were never charged then it probably won't really affect it I wouldn't think - if you were guilty they'd have charged you.

Oleh
25-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Shouldn't affect you. One of my old teachers was arrested for cocaine possession and still has a job.

Zak
25-07-2012, 02:25 PM
You'll probably need an advanced CRB check to be a teacher. Does the record say it was in self defence? But as you were never charged then it probably won't really affect it I wouldn't think - if you were guilty they'd have charged you.

I don't think I have a criminal record because you have to be warning, cautioned, charged or convicted to receive a criminal record.. i think.

I have an arrest record - because i was arrested.
Obviously I'm on file - because you have to be booked in.
And I think non-convictions show up on e-CRB's (i.e. anything you've been done for but received nothing)

If the constable who interviewed me noted down anything at all - I should hope he put down self-defence. He certainly didn't think it was my fault - and CCTV was even captured of half the incident.

Jarkie
25-07-2012, 02:29 PM
You'll be fine. My old head teacher had a criminal record. I think if it says 'self defence' in your notes, then all be ok! :)

FlyingJesus
25-07-2012, 02:43 PM
An arrest record shouldn't go against you for anything - after all, you can literally tell the police that anyone has committed a crime that requires questioning and they'll have to technically arrest them (even if it's just for an hour) as an official part of the investigation, regardless of whether or not anything's actually happened

the.games
25-07-2012, 04:02 PM
You'll be fine. You will definitely have to have a enhanced check, but this will NOT have ANY impact on your standing as a teacher. Only official warnings, cautions, convictions and protective orders would have an impact on your job.

Zak
25-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. You have really made me feel better about the situation :) I have been very worried as it was something stupid that should never have happened.

flatface
25-07-2012, 06:07 PM
I had to have an enhanced criminal record check for my job, reading my copy I can tell you it discloses the following:

- Police records of convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings
- Information from the list held under section 142 of the education act 2002
- ISA children's barred list information
- ISA vulnerable adult's barred list information
- Other relevant information disclosed at the chief police officer(s) discretion

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!