PDA

View Full Version : Paralympic Games - London 2012

Mathew
29-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Anyone going to be watching? The Opening Ceremony begins at 8:30pm BST on Channel 4. :)

Hiding
29-08-2012, 07:11 PM
might watch it since nothing good is on tv

santa-my-nana
29-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Im loving to watch it, im tuned in now. BTW mat it started at 8 not 7:30 LOL

Mathew
29-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Im loving to watch it, im tuned in now. BTW mat it started at 8 not 7:30 LOL

Oh I meant 8:30pm, oops! :P 5 minutes to go!!

santa-my-nana
29-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Oh I meant 8:30pm, oops! :P 5 minutes to go!!

Stares at the screen, *this should be good :)*

Jurv
29-08-2012, 07:29 PM
i'm probably going to watch it later on. apparently birdy is performing later; her voice is fantastic.

xxMATTGxx
29-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Stephen Hawking is awesome.

Mathew
29-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Hawking's appearance was just perfect.

David
29-08-2012, 07:35 PM
they like butchering songs

dirrty
29-08-2012, 07:56 PM
watching it until 9 and then turning over the big brother. haven't really found it interesting and the ceremony has been a bit meh tbf. i personally don't think so many 'able-bodied' people should have been in the ceremony tbf. they should be highlighting the talents of those with disabilities more, instead of having loads of 'able-bodied' people (i may be wrong, hope i am really). i do hope the majority of performers were with disabilities though.

CaptainAce
29-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Theres more then one type of disability. Able bodied people can be disabled in a different way that to a persons eye you cannot see. In other words you can be able bodied and disabled.

xxMATTGxx
29-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I have a feeling this would have been better covered on the BBC. But maybe I just like them more than Channel 4 :P

CaptainAce
29-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Channel 4 has too many breaks.

dirrty
29-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Theres more then one type of disability. Able bodied people can be disabled in a different way that to a persons eye you cannot see. In other words you can be able bodied and disabled.
yes, i know that. i probably didn't use the best word. by able-bodied, i meant someone with no disability what-so-ever. that's why i put 'able-bodied' opposed to able-bodied if that makes sense. so i meant that i hoped every performer had some sort of disability, to showcase their talents opposed to someone without. i did hope that was obvious, but i guess i should of phrased the sentence better.

edit; btw does anyone know whether there is a legit reason why BBC aren't covering it? just seems kind of backhanded that the BBC covered the olympics, but not the paralymics. especially since the BBC supposedly cater for 'everyone' with their PSB agreements.

CaptainAce
29-08-2012, 09:10 PM
yes, i know that. i probably didn't use the best word. by able-bodied, i meant someone with no disability what-so-ever. that's why i put 'able-bodied' opposed to able-bodied if that makes sense. so i meant that i hoped every performer had some sort of disability, to showcase their talents opposed to someone without. i did hope that was obvious, but i guess i should of phrased the sentence better.

Oh ok. Well I don't think they hunted for disabled people alot? So they used normal people to fill in the gaps.

Kardan
29-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Channel 4 coverage is shocking.

Not only are there adverts during the ceremony, but during the athlete's parade, so we're missing out whole countries, even China.

And Jon Snow's commentary earlier was awful, all we got was a run down on each war that each country has ever took part in...

And Channel 4 won broadcasting rights, that's why the BBC don't have it.

dirrty
29-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Oh ok. Well I don't think they hunted for disabled people alot? So they used normal people to fill in the gaps.
well i understand there'll only be enough demand for performers, but it doesn't sit right with me tbf. the whole point of the paralymics is to showcase the talents of those with 'disabilities', and pushing that aside for the sake of having a grand opening ceremony just doesn't seem right, if you get me? from watching the hour that i saw, it looked to me as if they had 'able-bodied' performers, and then threw in those with physical disabilities every so often.

xxMATTGxx

edit; btw does anyone know whether there is a legit reason why BBC aren't covering it? just seems kind of backhanded that the BBC covered the olympics, but not the paralymics. especially since the BBC supposedly cater for 'everyone' with their PSB agreements.

I believe a lot of the time these contracts are won and therefore Channel 4 must have won the coverage for this.

sex
tbh i didnt like how they explained everything foe the blind people it ruined it imo

dirrty
29-08-2012, 09:18 PM
I believe a lot of the time these contracts are won and therefore Channel 4 must have won the coverage for this.
yeah, i thought so. i guess the BBC spent the majority of their budget on the olympics then haha

Kardan
29-08-2012, 09:18 PM
tbh i didnt like how they explained everything foe the blind people it ruined it imo

You must be watching More 4 then?

As far as I'm aware, More 4 is audio commentary for the blind, and Channel 4 is the regular (and awful!) commentary.

sex
29-08-2012, 09:19 PM
You must be watching More 4 then?

As far as I'm aware, More 4 is audio commentary for the blind, and Channel 4 is the regular (and awful!) commentary.

oh opps didnt know i just seen it and turned it on :( wish i had known now

CaptainAce
29-08-2012, 09:21 PM
well i understand there'll only be enough demand for performers, but it doesn't sit right with me tbf. the whole point of the paralymics is to showcase the talents of those with 'disabilities', and pushing that aside for the sake of having a grand opening ceremony just doesn't seem right, if you get me? from watching the hour that i saw, it looked to me as if they had 'able-bodied' performers, and then threw in those with physical disabilities every so often.

Yeah its not good that they are doing that. They should of told people they wanted people with physical and mental disabilities but they obviously didn't. There are lots of disabled people in the world, just people gotta look round for them and I guess they didn't have time or couldn't be bothered.

santa-my-nana
29-08-2012, 09:21 PM
This is not true, Channel 4 have always had the rights to broadcast the paralympics. They have always done such a good job it has never needed to go any where else.

Kardan
29-08-2012, 09:26 PM
This is not true, Channel 4 have always had the rights to broadcast the paralympics. They have always done such a good job it has never needed to go any where else.

Channel 4 won it in February 2010:

The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) has awarded the UK broadcast rights of the Paralympic Games to Channel 4 following a highly competitive tender process.

The deal with Channel 4 will provide the Paralympic Games and Paralympic sport with the strongest pre-Games broadcast coverage and marketing support it has ever received on UK television.

“The eyes of the world will be focussed on the Paralympic Games - the world’s second biggest multi-sport event - in London in 2012,” said Sebastian Coe, Chairman of LOCOG.

“We will deliver a spectacular sporting showcase for the world’s greatest Paralympic athletes, and will use the power of Paralympic sport to raise awareness, challenge stereotypes, inspire understanding and communicate the Paralympic values of determination, courage, inspiration and equality.

“We are absolutely delighted to appoint Channel 4 as our broadcast partner in the UK. Channel 4 shares our vision for the Paralympic Games, has a very strong appeal to young people, and will play a hugely important role in increasing public engagement and involvement in Paralympic sport in this country.

“We are confident that the quality and depth of the broadcast coverage provided by Channel 4 not just for the 12 days of sport in 2012, but in the two and a half years leading up to the Games, will inspire disabled people of all ages to take up sport and be a catalyst for continued change in public attitudes towards disability. The commercial value of this deal has raised the bar financially for the Paralympic movement.”

Channel 4 will produce and screen two peak time 10 part documentaries in 2011 and 2012, building the stories of the athletes and their journey to the London 2012 Paralympic Games.

It will also include dedicated coverage of the Paralympic Torch Relay and will be supported by the biggest marketing campaign in the broadcaster’s history.

Channel 4 will also cover key disability sports and sporting events, in the run up to the Paralympic Games in 2012.

At Games-time, Channel 4 will deliver over 150 hours of coverage of the Paralympic Games, with over 130 hours on their core channel (Channel 4).

The coverage will be led by a flagship peak-time show, and extensive coverage will also be provided on mobile and online. Subtitling and audio description will form part of all the programming, ensuring the widest possible audience can enjoy the Games.

LOCOG will begin the tender process for the international broadcast rights to the Paralympic Games later this year.

Also, I don't know if Baloo and dirrty are watching, there have been many disabled performers already.

santa-my-nana
29-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Hmmmm, but they broadcasted the 2008 Paralympics too :S I'm sure of it

xxMATTGxx
29-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Nope, the BBC provided the coverage for that.

Kardan
29-08-2012, 09:35 PM

Probably, but they would've won them too. One channel doesn't host something forever, broadcasters bid and outbid each other for the rights to air it.

For example, Neighbours (BBC1 -> Channel 5) and Formula One (BBC -> ITV -> BBC -> BBC/Sky) and Glee (Channel 4 -> Sky)

xxMATTGxx
29-08-2012, 09:53 PM
This is also probably one of the first times for the Paralympics where nearly all of the tickets have been sold.

GommeInc
30-08-2012, 01:08 AM
I have a feeling this would have been better covered on the BBC. But maybe I just like them more than Channel 4 :P
I preferred it because the BBC weren't covering it :P The C4 lot seem to know when to shut up and what is happening, while the BBC presenters kept talking about stuff nobody cares about. The only benefit of having the BBC is no adverts.

Sir Ian McKellen and Stephen Hawking were both amazing. It was great to see a story played out and great dancing/music. In a way it was better than the Olympic Opening Ceremony because the Paralympics didn't feel compelled to chuck in a load of singers who can't sing. Jessie J and Paul McCartney ruined it for me :/

Shar
30-08-2012, 12:05 PM
This is also probably one of the first times for the Paralympics where nearly all of the tickets have been sold.
The estimate was for 2 million tickets to be sold compared to Beijing's 1 million or something like that.

xxMATTGxx
30-08-2012, 05:52 PM
So far we have the following:

Gold: 1
Silver: 3
Bronze: 1

dbgtz
30-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I think people should get over the lack of disabled people in the ceremony, whether anyone likes it or not they have more restrictions etc. so it probably wouldn't have made sense to include them at points. Either way I got bored and went on BF during Lord Coes speech.

Stephen
31-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Feel sorry for Jody Cundy

See how fast them spanish ***** got onto the officials? Cowards knew they would have lost the gold if he got a restart

geo
31-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Went and watched the basketball yesterday, it was really nice. :) I really haven't been watching so much of it though, I just haven't got into it like I did with the Olympics. :P

xxMATTGxx
02-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Paralympics GB Medal Count:

Gold: 15
Silver: 22
Bronze: 12

Current Rank: 2nd.

xxMATTGxx
03-09-2012, 06:40 PM
We are up to 19 gold medals now thanks to Mickey Bushell in the Men's 100m T51.

lawrawrrr
03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Went to the Olympic Stadium last night to see them, was so amazing, especially with Weir's win and Pistorius' defeat. Atmosphere was absolutely electric, everyone screaming SO MUCH. Got such a sore throat but was SO worth it.

dbgtz
03-09-2012, 08:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nMtSJDrGc
Lol.

xxMATTGxx
03-09-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nMtSJDrGc
Lol.

Haha that's great. I love how it quickly changes to cheers for the BMW guy :P

xxMATTGxx
03-09-2012, 09:21 PM
You know what makes this even better? Gordon Brown getting cheers at the Paralympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnO1dLeQ_YA

Kardan
03-09-2012, 09:24 PM
You know what makes this even better? Gordon Brown getting cheers at the Paralympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnO1dLeQ_YA

David Cameron also got heavily booed at an awards ceremony, classic :)

GommeInc
03-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Who on earth thought having politicians give out medals could be a good idea? It's the UK, we don't like politicians!

dbgtz
04-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Who on earth thought having politicians give out medals could be a good idea? It's the UK, we don't like politicians!

Politicians aren't necessarily bad, but greedy ***** like George Osbourne shouldn't. I mean Gordon Brown was stupid with what he done, but I never thought he was a greedy person and he stopped us getting into bigger **** :P. But yeah, there could have been better people.

xxMATTGxx
04-09-2012, 09:40 AM
It was pretty good of them to let that guys mum give him his medal.

xxMATTGxx
04-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Just watched David Weir get his 2nd Gold Medal - What a man.

lawrawrrr
04-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Weir is incredible, when he won the 5000 it was just amazing the reception he got!

xxMATTGxx
05-09-2012, 09:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTrBCyU9zgs

xxMATTGxx
06-09-2012, 06:50 PM
From before but Josef Craig did a fantastic swim - Got a Gold Medal. Did anyone just seen Hannah then? Wow at the performance she had.

http://paralympics.channel4.com/video/gb-medal-winners/videoid=1236376/index.html#15-year-old-josef-craig-smashes-the-wr-to-take-gold

Mathew
06-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Just caught a few minutes of the Wheelchair Rugby whilst our neighbours were over. I never even knew the sport existed but it's probably something I'd watch again. Very impressive.

xxMATTGxx
06-09-2012, 08:18 PM
David Weir is AMAZING.

Mathew
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
The man is unbeatable. Absolutely fantastic.

xxMATTGxx
06-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Gold Medal for Jonnie Peacock!

Mathew
06-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Omggggg... simply amazing.. he was SO fast right from the start. Oscar's interview after the race was really nice too.

GommeInc
06-09-2012, 11:29 PM
My favourite moment from the entire Paralympic Games has to be the Malaysian wheelchair fencer taking a smack to the crotch from the Greek fencer he was against. The reaction was amazing :P

It was a great day yesterday (Thurs). Possibly the best :)

lawrawrrr
06-09-2012, 11:52 PM
My favourite moment from the entire Paralympic Games has to be the Malaysian wheelchair fencer taking a smack to the crotch from the Greek fencer he was against. The reaction was amazing :P

It was a great day yesterday (Thurs). Possibly the best :)

Mine was the Greek fencer CONTINUING to 'poke' him after!

Yesterday was amazing, have we overtaken Russia yet??

xxMATTGxx
07-09-2012, 12:05 AM
1. China with a total of 183 medals
2. Great Britain with a total of 108 medals
3. Russia with a total of 85 medals

lawrawrrr
07-09-2012, 12:37 AM
1. China with a total of 183 medals
2. Great Britain with a total of 108 medals
3. Russia with a total of 85 medals

done on golds not total though isnt it :/

tied with russia on 31 golds!

xxMATTGxx
07-09-2012, 12:39 AM
done on golds not total though isnt it :/

tied with russia on 31 golds!

Yeah true.

xxMATTGxx
07-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Did anyone just watching the swimming then? They were just .03 behind the Australian for the Gold. Good job we got the silver though!

xxMATTGxx
08-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Ellie Simmonds just got another medal in the swimming - This time it's a silver. She was catching up to the person infront but sadly didn't have enough time. Big well done to her though of course!

xxMATTGxx
09-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Locog say: 251 World, and 421 Paralympic records at the games. 2.7 million tickets sold. 3/4 of GB population have followed games.

Demi
09-09-2012, 10:57 AM
They're doing a brilliant job :)

xxMATTGxx
09-09-2012, 12:01 PM
David Weir has just won his 4TH Gold Medal! What an amazing person.

xxMATTGxx
09-09-2012, 03:34 PM
The Paralympics: In the words of the athletes:

http://paralympics.channel4.com/video/key-moments/videoid=1236958/index.html#the-paralympics-in-the-words-of-the-athletes

Quite a nice video!

lawrawrrr
09-09-2012, 03:41 PM
those marathons were amazing!! bit of a shame it's over but really looking forward to the closing ceremony tonight :)

xxMATTGxx
09-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Paralympics GB got the following in the 2012 games:

Gold: 34
Silver: 43
Bronze: 43

Total: 120 Medals - Coming 3rd in the rankings. Huge well done and congratulations to every single one of them who took part in the Paralympics Games. Has been a big success just like the Olympic games. The ticket sales have been also broke records and have beaten previous Paralympics.

those marathons were amazing!! bit of a shame it's over but really looking forward to the closing ceremony tonight :)

Been fantastic and the amount of tickets that have been sold just makes a huge success as well.

lawrawrrr
09-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Paralympics GB got the following in the 2012 games:

Gold: 34
Silver: 43
Bronze: 43

Total: 120 Medals - Coming 3rd in the rankings. Huge well done and congratulations to every single one of them who took part in the Paralympics Games. Has been a big success just like the Olympic games. The ticket sales have been also broke records and have beaten previous Paralympics.

Been fantastic and the amount of tickets that have been sold just makes a huge success as well.

noone's ever been able to sell out all the stadiums every day, especially not for paralympics which is just incredible. That's the British public for you!!

xxMATTGxx
09-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I thought the closing ceremony was quite good to be honest. It's a shame the games are now over as they have been a huge success and we have done a very good job in hosting them. Bring on Rio 2016!

Mathew
09-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Really enjoyed watching the games, right from the opening ceremony to the closing. The projection on Houses of Parliament tonight was just magical.

Teabags
11-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Thought Matt Walker was the most emotional thing to watch out to the games. Actually preferred the Paralympics to the olympics I think.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!