PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining details from Car Registration Plate

Ed.
25-09-2012, 01:09 PM
How can I obtain someones details if I know their reg plate and car model etc?

PM me if there are any "interesting" ways to do so.

Moved by efq (Forum Moderator): From Discuss Anything as it is better suited here :)

GoldenMerc
25-09-2012, 01:13 PM
You can't afaik, you can find out information on the car;
https://www.icarcheck.net/

You can use stuff like that to find if its robbed etc, i used a text thing to buy my Subaru, it returned with nothing (I generally used it to buy all my cars) I found out 2-3 days ago my Subaru was written off, Scrapped also lol...
So be careful using them

Ed.
25-09-2012, 01:14 PM
You can't afaik, you can find out information on the car;
https://www.icarcheck.net/

You can use stuff like that to find if its robbed etc, i used a text thing to buy my Subaru, it returned with nothing (I generally used it to buy all my cars) I found out 2-3 days ago my Subaru was written off, Scrapped also lol...
So be careful using them

Yeah, I know all the details. Basically I need to find the details of the guy who hit and ran me cos the police have given up the case and I need to take civil action.

GoldenMerc
25-09-2012, 01:16 PM
You can't unfortunately, Im fairly sure you can't find those details without his v5. Not a lot other ways you can do it, search numberplate on Google etc, may work.

Ed.
25-09-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm sure if I look hard enough I'll find a driver database online from like 2000 or before.

Tomm
25-09-2012, 03:12 PM
You can get the details from the DVLA if you can demonstrate to them that you have a good cause for them to provide you with the information.

See this document: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_193598.pdf
And this is the form you need to fill in: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065303.pdf

Ed.
25-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, but there is a fee involved I believe.

Tomm
25-09-2012, 03:23 PM
£2.50 is not really that much :P

Yeah, but there is a fee involved I believe.

GoldenMerc
25-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Not sure how you can proove he crashed into you, other than if a garage fixed his car...

Ed.
25-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Not sure how you can proove he crashed into you, other than if a garage fixed his car...

Gots witnesses.

Plus, failure is stop = hit and run = illegal

GommeInc
25-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm fairly certain your insurance company can find their details for you, because obviously you can't obtain the details. Get in contact with your insurance company, tell them what happened and give them the registration number of the car including make and model if you have it (though they will find it anyway).

They will go through the appropriate database and find the insurers of the car that hit you and request them to get in contact with the car owner and ask for details, perhaps even ask an independent authority to track the car down and see if there is any evidence of damage that correlates to the damage on your own car. If you have witnesses, then that's just more proof against him that your insurers can use to get him to pay damages.

MissAlice
25-09-2012, 10:35 PM
How can I obtain someones details if I know their reg plate and car model etc?

PM me if there are any "interesting" ways to do so.

You could check whether the vehicle is insured:
http://www.askmid.com/

Actually I think it’s important you or your insurance company make contact with the DVLA, if the police have given up it’s probably because the current keeper has not registered the vehicle in their name, and this could mean the vehicle has no road fund licence or insurance.

SitchJon
25-09-2012, 10:37 PM
LOL you can check anything ahah

peteyt
27-09-2012, 04:13 AM
I'm sure there is a way to do this.

I can't go into details but someone I know (and no not me ha) had a dodgy neighbour and when he had friends visiting, the neighbour for some reason decided to photograph the reg of their vehicles and then one day was seen by their house. Well unless they just secretly followed them home ha.

Ed.
27-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Don't worry kids, I'm sorted now :)

GommeInc
28-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Don't worry kids, I'm sorted now :)
What did you do?

Ed.
28-09-2012, 11:00 AM
What did you do?

Police are posting me the deets.

GommeInc
28-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Police are posting me the deets.
They changed their tune :P It's amazing they re-opened the case after you said something about them giving up. Police and transport don't seem to mix these days :/

tdi
30-09-2012, 11:34 PM
It's highly unlikely that the police would disclose personal details on someone having given them only the registration plate of a car, especially if you don't have hard evidence to support it. It violates the Data Protection Act.

For the record, you cannot obtain an address from a reg plate as an individual, it's only available through the MID and the police database.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!