PDA

View Full Version : How did you choose what career you're going into

Shar
27-11-2012, 06:06 PM
or planning to go into.

I needed a bit of steering to the right direction before I figured out what I wanted to do, but it was really obvious to me after I made the decision.

Jake
27-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Tbh with you im 22 and i have no idea what i want to do with my life. I dont really have a career i want to get into, Which is why i refused to go to uni to study something which was totally irrelevant to me and end up being in debt for it.

dirrty
27-11-2012, 06:23 PM
well i'm picking careers that i think i'd have an interest in/enjoy doing/will be good at. so i think you should start there. what do you enjoy doing? how can that translate into the realms of employment? do you have any transferrable skills that can be applicable to other industries? idk what else to say really.

Tbh with you im 22 and i have no idea what i want to do with my life. I dont really have a career i want to get into, Which is why i refused to go to uni to study something which was totally irrelevant to me and end up being in debt for it.
ones degree doesn't necessarily dictate what graduate job/industry someone goes into. especially since the quite a lot of companies don't require specific degrees (accepting degrees from all disciplines).

lawrawrrr
27-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I always wanted to be a teacher, right from when I was in primary school. I've always loved learning and the feeling of teaching someone something is amazing to me!

Although recently I've been involved with the newspaper here and I'm loving that too :/

Jake
27-11-2012, 06:30 PM
ones degree doesn't necessarily dictate what graduate job/industry someone goes into. especially since the quite a lot of companies don't require specific degrees (accepting degrees from all disciplines).

Possibly not but when i left school most people in my year wanted to go to uni so they didnt have to work & just mess about for a couple more years. They picked literally any course they could get on and went for the experience of getting smashed & student life rather than because they wanted to progress further in what they were studying. That is why i didnt want to go to uni. (I understand what i mean :p)

Shar
27-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Hollyoaks I get what you mean. Some people know what they want to do from an early age and others don't even at a later age. Tbh I don't think it matters that much because people always change their mind, its nice going in different directions until you find something you genuinely like.

Munex
27-11-2012, 07:17 PM
I went through a lot...

1. I began wanting to be an actor in year 7. I did drama and I loved it. One day I thought, "what could I do help me become a successful actor?" and decided to teach myself the piano - in case I had to act a pianist!

2. I wanted to become a musician. I became pretty good on the piano and began to love music. I wanted to compose music, preferably for video games and films and what not.

3. I decided that it would be most logical to teach music and try to break into the music industry on the way. I loved the idea of controlling a class of people - slightly megalomaniacal of me.

4. I did well in my English AS classes and decided to be a writer. I had always loved writing throughout the years but never really stopped to consider it as a career.

Sent my UCAS form off today for uni. I've applied to five, all creative writing. I hope to become a screenwriter.

And that's my story, in just four bullets. Lots of details missed out!

Mr-Trainor
27-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Tbh I'm 17 and I've applied to uni but I still don't know exactly what career I want to go in to. I'm keeping my options open by now applying for a very specific uni course (e.g. applying for dentistry), and choosing a career isn't something I want to rush :P.

I went through a lot...

1. I began wanting to be an actor in year 7. I did drama and I loved it. One day I thought, "what could I do help me become a successful actor?" and decided to teach myself the piano - in case I had to act a pianist!

2. I wanted to become a musician. I became pretty good on the piano and began to love music. I wanted to compose music, preferably for video games and films and what not.

3. I decided that it would be most logical to teach music and try to break into the music industry on the way. I loved the idea of controlling a class of people - slightly megalomaniacal of me.

4. I did well in my English AS classes and decided to be a writer. I had always loved writing throughout the years but never really stopped to consider it as a career.

Sent my UCAS form off today for uni. I've applied to five, all creative writing. I hope to become a screenwriter.

And that's my story, in just four bullets. Lots of details missed out!
Good luck :D! Mine was just sent off by my college a few days ago.

dirrty
27-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Possibly not but when i left school most people in my year wanted to go to uni so they didnt have to work & just mess about for a couple more years. They picked literally any course they could get on and went for the experience of getting smashed & student life rather than because they wanted to progress further in what they were studying. That is why i didnt want to go to uni. (I understand what i mean :p)
yeah, i get you. i thought you meant something along those lines, but thought i'd just mention that companies accept a general degree anyway :P. i know so many people who just went to uni to prolong going into full-time employment, or doing courses just for the sake of it and it really is a waste of time if they don't put a lot of effort into it. i still don't even know what i 100% want to do (and i'm a third year), but i'm just going with the flow, applying for everything that's within my capabilities and not limiting myself in what career path i end up in.

BreakfastBacon
27-11-2012, 09:17 PM
want to go into military as an officer my mum (believe it or not) was in army and she went to the officer training place she has all these badges and it kinda inspired me

Catchy
27-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I've always wanted to go into a medical profession after watching my mum go back to college, then uni then qualify as a midwife. I didn't choose to do it straight after school because at that age imo you're still far too young and lack life experience (oh and also cos i did sht at school lol) but anyways at first it was out of nursing but after getting my voluntary work on a maternity ward I really swayed towards midwifery after seeing loads of different aspects of the actual job (no its not just about delivering a baby, in fact it's about the mother more than anything) so yh preying that i get a place for 2013.

Andii
27-11-2012, 10:32 PM
my brain told me to fight for whats right =]

Inseriousity.
27-11-2012, 10:45 PM
always wanted to be a teacher i think cos my reception teacher was really awful. the only vivid memory i have of her is telling me off cos I used shapes - triangle for head, circle for body, rectangles for arms and legs - to draw people (its like wtf, why are you even a teacher) and then moving to a new school and having a great time with good teachers. I want to be one of the latter hopefully!

Foregetfuhl
28-11-2012, 12:06 AM
always wanted to do something in regards to law. i find it fascinating but at the same time i hate that it doesn't always lead to justice. it wasn't until i started studying law at uni that i decided to go down the solicitor route especially with my parents divorce proceedings and seeing how relatives wills were written etc. I would love to be a family solicitor but i do love the criminal side of it too.

Sloths
28-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Few years ago I decided on the career field I wanted to go into purely from what I love doing and from there the classes I've taken in my senior years have pretty much just supported my decision to go into design. I prefered to do something I loved rather than doing something just because of the amount of jobs avaliable or the pay seen as, unless you go back to school further down the track, this is what you'll be doing for most of my life. Got accepted into my uni course a few weeks ago so everything's going to plan :P

mrwoooooooo
28-11-2012, 08:54 AM
I like computers, so I got a job in IT

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Kardan
28-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I've always wanted to be a teacher, so in one and a half years when my degree is done, I'll apply for a PGCE and get loads of money from the government because nobody else wants to be a Maths teacher. Of course, I can still change my mind, I wouldn't mind working in something related to F1, that's the main reason why I went for a Maths degree, rather than a Maths education degree - gives me more options :)

IceNineKills
28-11-2012, 12:28 PM

exactly this.

Jurv
28-11-2012, 09:35 PM
i'm in college at the moment and planning on studying further and hopefully getting a career in graphic design. i've loved the subject since creating my own website in secondary school and creating graphics for habbox (lol). since then i've been using photoshop and have been developing my skills into something which will hopefully help me out with the course i'm doing at the moment. so yeah thats it really. my dream job would be working for a music/entertainment magazine creating the covers or something along those line aha

Mark
28-11-2012, 10:40 PM
I just looked at my interests and things I was good at then fitted that around a job really! Best of luck :)

Doughnut
28-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I've always been interested in law, so I think I'll most likely study law in uni and perhaps become a police officer or even work my way up to being a judge! Im doing law GCSE and so far ik getting A* in all my assessments. Its something which I feel like i understand naturally :)

Sian
29-11-2012, 11:59 AM
well, I chose archaeology first-off because I used to love digging for things as a little kid. And museum work, well I've done a lot of work experience in them and I think there needs to be a lot of change and I feel I have the ideas for them.

Rozi
29-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Basically the thought of doing purely essay based work for 3 years and struggling for the first few years after uni didn't appeal to me

So i thought about vocational courses and nursing seemed like the most fitting option. Also the nhs pays all your tuition fees and you get a 1k grant straight off

The Don
29-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm now aiming towards studying IT. I've always loved computers but at the same time I've always loved film and writing. I've decided to be realistic and go down the IT route since screenwriting is extremely hard to get into and I can always keep that as a hobby...

HotelUser
29-11-2012, 02:11 PM
I've always known I wanted to go into Computer Science :P

RyRy
29-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Well I know I'm going into IT, just don't know where... At the mo I'm exploring the Support side of things which I'm really enjoying but might go into the consultant work... depends. I chose because computers are what I love and they're what I'm good at.

Though I am tinkering with the idea of being an IT teacher.

geo
29-11-2012, 05:08 PM
er, when i was very young i wanted to be an author, but that doesn't seem at all realistic now and i guess i just went off the idea. :P now i want to be in the film industry, my auntie was telling me about how she used to work at an office and things where they added sound to films and stuff, and that sounded cool. they also got to go to a lot of premieres too omg. this might change though after a levels, as that might allow me to discover a new love or a hate for something.

Shar
29-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Basically the thought of doing purely essay based work for 3 years and struggling for the first few years after uni didn't appeal to me

So i thought about vocational courses and nursing seemed like the most fitting option. Also the nhs pays all your tuition fees and you get a 1k grant straight off
You get roughly 1k bursary for the first two months of the semester if you're getting the max bursary and then around half of that monthly. Vocational courses are great, good luck Rosie, are you applying this year?

OldLoveSong
01-12-2012, 07:30 PM
chose to become a makeup artist because i've always been fascinated with cosmetics and beauty products and stuff c:

Cassiieee
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm studying Hairdressing at College.

I thought it's what I wanted to do, as I'm always, changing the style and colour of my hair, and I always do things with it, such as straight, curl, ect.. I'm always playing with other peoples hair, and cutting them, so I decided it's what I wanted to do.

I was also studying for life guard, I done about a month of it, then the stupid teacher decided I wasn't good for it, because I'm a girl, and girls can't go in water everyday a month, for the obvious reasons..

Grig
02-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Journalism and research professor. That's what I'm studying and aiming to now.

LiquidLuck.
02-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Still haven't made up my mind and I'm using the Christmas break to apply to some over seas unis, but something to do with languages since I'm so good at them. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!