PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticeship Decision

Clumping
06-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Back in October I did some work experience at a company for three weeks, and honestly I had a blast, and loved it there. They're now offering an apprenticeship opportunity. I know I should jump at the chance for somewhere I loved, but part of me doesn't want to. Partly because of confidence when it comes to jobs, and mainly because I have no idea what to expect from being on one/the interviews etc. It's at a call centre-type place. Any advice/experience anyone can offer?

Catchy
06-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Back in October I did some work experience at a company for three weeks, and honestly I had a blast, and loved it there. They're now offering an apprenticeship opportunity. I know I should jump at the chance for somewhere I loved, but part of me doesn't want to. Partly because of confidence when it comes to jobs, and mainly because I have no idea what to expect from being on one/the interviews etc. It's at a call centre-type place. Any advice/experience anyone can offer?

Well what is it exactly that you're worried about? You say confidence when it comes to the jobs? Can you elaborate a bit more? The interviews will probably just be generic common sense things I imagine so, it's always good to do a little research about the company first though.

Clumping
06-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I know a lot about the company from doing the work exp. there, I think I really suck at interviews because I get so nervous way too easily, and it's just not knowing what to expect, I don't know a lot about how apprenticeships go. It's hard to get what's in my head into words.

Catchy
06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
I know a lot about the company from doing the work exp. there, I think I really suck at interviews because I get so nervous way too easily, and it's just not knowing what to expect, I don't know a lot about how apprenticeships go. It's hard to get what's in my head into words.

It sounds like you're feeling a bit anxious by the whole thing which is perfectly normal. The thing is you're going to be in this situation sooner or later when you are going for jobs, we all have to go through the same process. Apprenticeships usually last around a year I think, and you basically learn on the job (some require you to go to college 1 day a week but some don't so look into that). After the year I think they decide if or not to keep you on.

The whole point of apprenticeships is to learn though Rhi so you're not expected to know what to expect in detail, the interview is your chance to ask all these questions you're having. An interview isn't there to catch you out, it's to see what you're like and if they think you're suitable and I'm guessing you are from your 3 week work exp placement. That gives you a big advantage as experience is usually preferred over anything else.

One bit of advice I can give you is prepare for your interview, write out a list of questions you want to ask and take them with you so you don't forget. Practice with someone you trust by answering the type of questions which they will likely ask you for example: "What can you bring to the company" "Why do you want to work here" "Give an example of when you've worked in a team" you know the drill.

Samantha
06-12-2012, 07:16 PM
I think for the first time you're going to feel nervous as although you experienced it previously it will still be an alien thing for you as it's not exactly just experience now (well it is but it's a different kind). I think Jake summed up a lot in his reply about doing an interview beforehand, maybe get someone who you don't know as well to ask you, not an immediate family member or perhaps a friends parent?

If you feel nervous about interview and such I think it's a process where you get worked up a bit too much but probably you'll feel fine once you're actually there? That happens to me a lot and it scares me, when I was starting a new job in October I was so nervous as I didn't know what to expect as it was different than the store I worked at previously. However, after the first few times you may think that you dislike how it works or something as your mind set is making yourself believe that it's not a good idea but then it grows on you.

Don't consider it as though it's a job or an apprenticeship, think of it as though you're doing work experience again but for more time and you'll know and learn more.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!