PDA

View Full Version : condensation in car +39 REP

dirrty
07-12-2012, 12:07 PM
so it's getting pretty cold outside, and my car is building up a lot of condensation inside it (on all the windows), and there's some mould growing on the floor under the drivers seat; so i'm assuming moisture is getting into the vehicle. has this happened to anyone before, and if so what was your solution? dreading going to a garage with the little money i have :(

Teabags
07-12-2012, 01:17 PM
so it's getting pretty cold outside, and my car is building up a lot of condensation inside it (on all the windows), and there's some mould growing on the floor under the drivers seat; so i'm assuming moisture is getting into the vehicle. has this happened to anyone before, and if so what was your solution? dreading going to a garage with the little money i have :(
I have this in the mornings. It's not all that much of a problem. In the mornings if you leave your car running with the heater on the windscreen type mode one. You can't drive immediately, might take a few minutes but all the condensation clears.

>and also, turn the ignition on when you have the heater running. When I first got my car I just used the heater and the battery died and bump starting at -4 isn't fun.

If this doesn't work you've got damp somewhere on the inside of your car. So the mould thing probably isn't helping. So if you can get your car all dried out, remove the damp and reseal it. But damp can be anywhere inside the car, so even the boot or places like that affect your car still.

Goodluck! Try the heaters on the windscreen icon thing first though.

myke
07-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Check your door, window and boot seals. It's likely that one isn't sealing properly when the door's closed or that it has deteriorated. If not, try those little silicone packs that you get in shoe boxes for a temporary fix - it will absorb moisture.

Zak
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM

Omg I have literally exactly the same problem with my car.

What's yours? Mine is a 55 plate vauxhall corsa 1.0

edit: I'll add more

Took mine to a guy I know he said my door was out of alignment, so he literally bent it so it fit. Didn't fix the issue.

A lot of them tell you to check the seals around your doors, mine seemed fine though.

I have a crack in my window screen but I don't think it's that.

Moisture can also get in through your pedals (I think 55 plate corsas are prone to this happening but this could be your problem too)

The mould caused me to have nasal problems for months so I have to wear a mask when I drive now, it's likely mine got into my ventilation system

Keep me posted if you find a solution. :)

dirrty
07-12-2012, 02:00 PM
I have this in the mornings. It's not all that much of a problem. In the mornings if you leave your car running with the heater on the windscreen type mode one. You can't drive immediately, might take a few minutes but all the condensation clears.

>and also, turn the ignition on when you have the heater running. When I first got my car I just used the heater and the battery died and bump starting at -4 isn't fun.

If this doesn't work you've got damp somewhere on the inside of your car. So the mould thing probably isn't helping. So if you can get your car all dried out, remove the damp and reseal it. But damp can be anywhere inside the car, so even the boot or places like that affect your car still. i'm going back home next weekend, so i'll dry the car out then and then go from there.

Goodluck! Try the heaters on the windscreen icon thing first though.
takes about 10 minutes for it to be drivable (with the heating on full etc.), and it's so frustrating haha. definitely means no spontaneous/in a rush trips anywhere. just gotta find the source of it really.

Check your door, window and boot seals. It's likely that one isn't sealing properly when the door's closed or that it has deteriorated. If not, try those little silicone packs that you get in shoe boxes for a temporary fix - it will absorb moisture.
yeah i've got a few of those silicone packs that i use in my wardrobe, so i put one in the car a few hours ago so hopefully that'll help. those things will probably have to do for now until i get some £££ in january.

Omg I have literally exactly the same problem with my car.

What's yours? Mine is a 55 plate vauxhall corsa 1.0

edit: I'll add more

Took mine to a guy I know he said my door was out of alignment, so he literally bent it so it fit. Didn't fix the issue.

A lot of them tell you to check the seals around your doors, mine seemed fine though.

I have a crack in my window screen but I don't think it's that.

Moisture can also get in through your pedals (I think 55 plate corsas are prone to this happening but this could be your problem too)

The mould caused me to have nasal problems for months so I have to wear a mask when I drive now, it's likely mine got into my ventilation system

Keep me posted if you find a solution. :)
peugeot 206. damn, you making me all paranoid now!! i *think* i know where it's coming from. the light on the inner-roof keeps on falling out every so often and hangs by the cables (when the door is slammed), so i'll sort that out and then go from there. hopefully the solution will be a quick fix/cheap.

cheers guys! i'll look into making sure everywhere is sealed correctly, and then go from there. ever since my mum gave me the car last year, everything is just going wrong!

tm
07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Had some similar issues in my Mondeo. On further inspection it's the rear passenger side door seal letting in water. I've tried manipulating it and it seems to let *less* water in now. Gonna get it fixed at some point.
I had some improvement when using 2 drying pack things that I got from Tesco for £1 each. I put 'em in the rear door pockets and they seemed to reduce the condensation buildup on the back window for a few weeks.

Worth a go for £2 anyway. Check the £1 section or the DIY section with £1 cheap crap. I've seen them in ASDA and Tesco.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/151-Products-LTD-Interior-Dehumidifier/dp/B005MZ1EJE/ Are *similar* to what I used. Good luck.

dirrty
07-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Had some similar issues in my Mondeo. On further inspection it's the rear passenger side door seal letting in water. I've tried manipulating it and it seems to let *less* water in now. Gonna get it fixed at some point.
I had some improvement when using 2 drying pack things that I got from Tesco for £1 each. I put 'em in the rear door pockets and they seemed to reduce the condensation buildup on the back window for a few weeks.

Worth a go for £2 anyway. Check the £1 section or the DIY section with £1 cheap crap. I've seen them in ASDA and Tesco.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/151-Products-LTD-Interior-Dehumidifier/dp/B005MZ1EJE/ Are *similar* to what I used. Good luck.
i think i'll probably get something like that. i put one of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-space-dehumidifier-bags-pack/dp/B001GWCA36/ref=pd_sim_kh_1) in there a few hours ago. just went and checked and it's much better (though still some condensation on the window) than before. will see how it goes, otherwise i'll get something like the link you posted. cheers :)

GoldenMerc
07-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I personally find seals impossible to sort, I had a really bad leak in one of my cars previously due to a seal, tried fixing it and it looked horrible and slightly fixed it

awelsh
07-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Had this problem on my old clio, got as bad as yours with mould gathering all over the backseats and seatbelts, was horrible! Also as someone else said, it gives you nasal problems. Mine was getting in through the sunroof and the windscreen seal, ended up using loads of black gaffer tape and just taped over all the seals. Looked horrible but it worked! Then got rid of the car shortly after, didn't want the hassle anymore.

The moisture on the inside of the windscreen gets more annoying in the winter when it freezes over, had to de-ice the inside windows and use a scraper on them!

myke
07-12-2012, 11:09 PM
takes about 10 minutes for it to be drivable (with the heating on full etc.), and it's so frustrating haha. definitely means no spontaneous/in a rush trips anywhere. just gotta find the source of it really.

yeah i've got a few of those silicone packs that i use in my wardrobe, so i put one in the car a few hours ago so hopefully that'll help. those things will probably have to do for now until i get some £££ in january.

peugeot 206. damn, you making me all paranoid now!! i *think* i know where it's coming from. the light on the inner-roof keeps on falling out every so often and hangs by the cables (when the door is slammed), so i'll sort that out and then go from there. hopefully the solution will be a quick fix/cheap.

cheers guys! i'll look into making sure everywhere is sealed correctly, and then go from there. ever since my mum gave me the car last year, everything is just going wrong!

I have a 206 and I'm a regular user of a 206 club forum, as I say, check the seals: it's likely to be that; Especially on a 3 door, the back windows are the worst and often cause puddles under the rear seats. :)

Martin
07-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Definitely sounds like a seal issue, shouldnt be too expensive to get fixed I would have thought?

Metric1
09-12-2012, 07:39 AM
I used to have this problem in my Honda.. The problem was not using rubber mats. The carpet would stay damp from me getting in and out with snow or water on my feet. The water would evaporate off the rubber with the heat on, it would take a lot more time with the carpet. Also, if your car is equiped with air conditioning, run that as it removes a lot of moisture while running.

tdi
09-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Pollen filter, all window seals, door seals, sunroof seals, rear light seals etc etc.

FlyingJesus
09-12-2012, 07:07 PM
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SEAL A SUNROOF I HAVE TRIED USING SILICONE SEALANT TO FILL IT UP SEVERAL TIMES AND IT STILL RAINS IN MY CAR

Swearwolf
09-12-2012, 07:43 PM
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SEAL A SUNROOF I HAVE TRIED USING SILICONE SEALANT TO FILL IT UP SEVERAL TIMES AND IT STILL RAINS IN MY CAR

put a ******* gazebo on it

FlyingJesus
09-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I'll put a ******* gazebo on you if you don't fix my car right now

Swearwolf
09-12-2012, 08:13 PM
well bring your car here now and park it under my ******* gazebo and i will

Metric1
10-12-2012, 12:59 AM

GET A NEW 1

Jack!
22-12-2012, 05:41 PM
I had the same issue with my 206, the problem was the door sills.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!