PDA

View Full Version : Survived my first term teaching :)

Zak
12-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Hello as many of you know I got the job lecturing at college for the module Database Design.

Just wanted to tell you I've just finished teaching for the term. I re-start January 2nd.

There is a lot involved with teaching, its been so much work. Glad i get a break from it tbh!!

Samantha
12-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Well Done Zak :P.

I think the benefit of being a teacher/lecturer you get holidays like the students mainly. Although you have your other job xD.

Nige
12-12-2012, 09:57 PM
You must be nearly as old as me, if you're a lecture.

Shar
13-12-2012, 12:15 AM
You finish early! How's it going?

Zak
13-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Well Done Zak :P.

I think the benefit of being a teacher/lecturer you get holidays like the students mainly. Although you have your other job xD.

Yeh that is a bonus but I'll spend most of that time learning what I need to teach for next term :P. Yeh I start my new job on the 7th, that is if my eCRB is back by then

You must be nearly as old as me, if you're a lecture.

I am 21

You finish early! How's it going?

Yeh the students finish on the 17th. I go back on the 2nd though so I'm there first lecture back so to speak

Mr-Trainor
13-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Well done :D. Do you like it then :)?

Zak
18-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Well done :D. Do you like it then :)?

Yeh it's good but it's a lot more work than I thought esp because it's only one module I'm teaching.

Learning the material and really knowing the subject isn't too difficult.. marking is quite hard as I don't want to be too generous or too strict. Lots of work to do outside of the class room :)

mrwoooooooo
18-12-2012, 01:01 PM
How did you get qualified to be a college lecturer at the age of 21?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Zak
18-12-2012, 02:55 PM
How did you get qualified to be a college lecturer at the age of 21?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You need not be a qualified teacher (i.e. have a teaching qualification) in order to teach. You can teach unqualified which is about a £1 an hour less

All you need is a degree, or higher education certificate/diploma in the subject area

Catchetat
14-01-2013, 01:04 AM
so what exactly is database design. what does it feel like teaching those who are just a few years younger than u are?

Zak
14-01-2013, 05:52 PM
so what exactly is database design. what does it feel like teaching those who are just a few years younger than u are?

ERDs/SQL/Access Reports/Forms/Queries/VBA/Bad Design Concepts(i.e. M:M relationships, fan traps, chasm traps), normalisation, web databases, security, warehousing, integrity.... key database stuff really.

To be honest all but two are older than me. It's not as bad as I thought, some of them are quite clever but they are there to learn and they know I can deliver, so the respect issue... isn't too bad. If anything I don't want to dumb it down too much so that they feel as though I'm talking down to them.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!