PDA

View Full Version : Nice places in London

Blinger
09-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Hello guys.

I don't come on here anymore but I figured this is a good site to ask since most of you are all English anyway and who would know their courtyard better?

So in a few months I'll be jetsetting over to England for a year (or more, maybe less) but I'm not sure where to start off. Where is a nice suburb/area that isn't posh but isn't scummy? I could search the internet all day but still be confused because the town names don't really mean much to me. I would prefer to be closeish to the city because I presume that's where the best night life is?

What is a popular job / something "achievable" for a student/youth (i'll be 22) to get without a car? I presume something like bar tender/cafe worker would be easy but what else is there? Not interested in office jobs tbf.

And the other questions I forgot. +repz to whoever decides to help and a beer if i ever see you on the streets.

Thread moved by Jordan (Forum Super Moderator): From 'Discuss Anything' to here as more suited

GoldenMerc
09-01-2013, 05:42 AM
Putney is nice, it is fairly posh tho :(

Sent from Phone

Zelda
09-01-2013, 06:39 AM
Bromley is pretty nice, not posh and nott far from the square mile

iLogan
09-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Hampstead

lawrawrrr
09-01-2013, 12:36 PM
I live in SE London - near bromley like Janice; said and it's pretty nice. Although I live a bit further towards the centre (bexley) and that's within easy commuter range to London for the nightlife and other possible jobs. There's usually a few cafe/pub/retail jobs in the mall here, and it's not that far away from Bluewater where there's nearly always jobs available!

wixard
09-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Hampstead

omg lol.

NO okay i spent the summer in north london and i think it's a place you should 100% go
i stayed in archway, it's extremely affordable and it's only about a 15 min tube ride to central london if even, the northern line is decent enough but you could even stay in holloway or finsbury park/seven sisters and you have the picadilly/victoria line too
definitely look around those areas for accomadation because it's cheap and despite looking a bit grotty they're lovely areas with everything you need

jobs wise, you'll have LOADS of options if it's just bar work you're looking for, so don't worry about that
retail is super easy to get too but i'd recommend bar work

AlexJRiley
09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Im from Essex which is a train ride from london, like literally you can hod on a train northbound and end up in Greater London, For me to get to london on a day travel ticket is about £18 at peak times and thats travel all around the London Districts. As for places to visit, definitely go to the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace. Go see the Olympic stadium, the Shard (because thats engineering genious) just do tourtisty things!

Shar
09-01-2013, 06:13 PM
North London definitely.

scottish
09-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Sharon;s house

rli tho no idea never been but to stay on topic i'll say harry potter studios!?!?

Blinger
09-01-2013, 09:21 PM
omg lol.

NO okay i spent the summer in north london and i think it's a place you should 100% go
i stayed in archway, it's extremely affordable and it's only about a 15 min tube ride to central london if even, the northern line is decent enough but you could even stay in holloway or finsbury park/seven sisters and you have the picadilly/victoria line too
definitely look around those areas for accomadation because it's cheap and despite looking a bit grotty they're lovely areas with everything you need

jobs wise, you'll have LOADS of options if it's just bar work you're looking for, so don't worry about that
I'm fine with a bit of a **** place, I just don't really fancy living in a place with bogans on every corner and getting mugged walking to shops.
Last time I was over I stayed between Russell Square and Kings Cross which was quite central for me, I don't need to be that much.

Sharon;s house

rli tho no idea never been but to stay on topic i'll say harry potter studios!?!?
I'll take that as sarcasm, right? Pretty sure she lives in/just out of Manchester.

Do you need something like a RSA (responsible serving of alcohol) to have a bar job there? I don't mind retail, I'm in the hospitality trade at the mo', where I've been for 5-6 years. Actually, since I was growing up I was around this stuff!

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 08:23 AM ----------

I'll have to pull out a map to look at these other spots,tthanks everyone :)

---------- Post added 10-01-2013 at 08:23 AM ----------

I'll have to pull out a map to look at these other spots,tthanks everyone :)

Alkaz
09-01-2013, 09:35 PM
You don't need any kind of licence or RSA (idk what that is) to just serve alcohol. You do need a licence though to be able to train staff and be responsible for the sale of alcohol on the premises.

Blinger
09-01-2013, 11:20 PM
You don't need any kind of licence or RSA (idk what that is) to just serve alcohol. You do need a licence though to be able to train staff and be responsible for the sale of alcohol on the premises.
Okay so I can just walk into a pub and vet a job then?
RSA is this: http://www.wodongatafe.edu.au/courses/responsible-service-of-alcohol-victoria.aspx

iLogan
11-01-2013, 08:03 PM
omg lol.

wats wrong with hampstead ;l

wixard
11-01-2013, 08:46 PM

he asked for somewhere affordable....

Empired
12-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Anywhere North of London as long as you don't go too far East or West will be a nice area people-wise and you should find somewhere affordable if you stay "north north" rather than more "central north" if that makes sense.

Getting jobs are no trouble, as has already been said.

Cerys
12-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Don't know how posh/expensive this is.. but when I visit london we usually stay in Blackheath which is really nice. And my cousins live in Lewisham which is also really nice. Just south of the thames. Got good connections etc
So try there C:

Blinger
15-01-2013, 06:19 AM

A quick gumtree search for shared houses or whatever and it was something like > 150 quid a week? Waayyyyyyyy too much tbh.

+reps to all. I'll suss out more of this Archway place, thanks wixie.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!