PDA

View Full Version : Game Writers?

Ardemax
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Hiyaa

All of a sudden I've become quite interested in the idea of becoming a game writer and/or writing story lines for games and the likes.

I'm not sure whether this is a 'phase' but for the time being I'm certainly keen on the idea :D

Does anyone know what I should be looking into and even what courses to take at uni? Is there like a general course that covers game writing or creative writing in general?

Would a 50/50 degree split with creative writing and, say, computer science be beneficial?

Many thanks :P

lawrawrrr
04-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Heya! I do creative writing (and english lit) at Uni and for the most part those courses are attatched to English Lit Departments so you'll have more of a literary focus. A lot of game writers start by writing game reviews and things and you can do that already if you haven't started, just to build up a portfolio and things, showing you know what you're talking about.

I had someone come into an employment lecture and talk about this, although some game writers do start with Creative Writing courses, it's nowhere NEAR necessary because they're completely different styles of writing (you probably wouldn't be able to write game-style things in a creative writing degree).

I usually say to people thinking about creative writing to pick something which has more of a 'grounding' because if you don't like the creative writing part you always have something to fall back on; creative writing on it's own is not *exactly* the most widely respected degree, to be perfectly blunt with you.

Inseriousity.
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Sounds interesting, I've always wanted to write a book so I can understand the idea of a phase! Maybe one day lol. I think Laura's right though!
Would be good to write for games though, hopefully you can avoid the cliches!

overskrill
05-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Most likely just a phase. Do a degree in what you're interested in, don't do English/Creative Writing just because you think it can get you a job in a horrible industry.

dbgtz
05-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Personally I'd suggest focusing on your more ideal course and then doing the other as a hobby. I only say this because I think it's unlikely you'll get a job which covers both of these elements.

overskrill; it's not a horrible industry.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!