PDA

View Full Version : are cats superior to dogs

wixard
20-02-2013, 06:09 PM
go...

FlyingJesus
20-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Yup

Edited by Matts (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post short replies- see the debates rules.

Samantha
20-02-2013, 06:24 PM
I think both species are superior for different reasons, such as cats are superior in the height they can jump whereas dogs are superior in their sense of smell.

buttons
20-02-2013, 06:27 PM
really dont see the weird obsession with hipsters and cats...

im not a big fan of either actually. ive had both. had a i dont give a **** i will do as i please persian cat and a big german shepard that was scared of the cat n he was really needy. guess the stereotype is true where cats do anything they please whereas a dog is more obedient. think i prefer dogs slightly for that reason.

wixard
20-02-2013, 06:30 PM
i hope that was not aimed at me as it's quite obvious I prefer dogs!!

buttons
20-02-2013, 06:33 PM
LOL no as if id call u a hipster
i mean all the people on tumblr saying they prefer cats over humans etc. i dont understand why they're obsessed.

-:Undertaker:-
20-02-2013, 07:25 PM
I'd say so, after all cats are much more independent and retain most of their natural instincts whereas most dogs would be finished if humans suddenly disappeared.

HarrySX
20-02-2013, 09:56 PM
This isn't even worthy of a debate... |-)

Edited by Matts (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly!

Rozi
20-02-2013, 09:58 PM
CATS

I don't like needy people
so why would I like needy animals

Jurv
20-02-2013, 10:53 PM
depends on the breed but ultimately i'd probably say dogs (although that's coming from someone who's had neither)
although if it was a persian cat i'd choose that cos they look cute and cuddly but if it was a chowchow i'd choose that over anything cos its like a bear

Kardan
20-02-2013, 10:57 PM
I'd say so, after all cats are much more independent and retain most of their natural instincts whereas most dogs would be finished if humans suddenly disappeared.

What? Dogs were domesticated from gray wolves, and they're still going strong 15,000 years later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_wolf

I'd say dogs are superior, much more useful to use humans and more intelligent.

GommeInc
20-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Both have their advantages. Dogs are smart in that they can learn certain tricks and habits, while cats seem independent in thought and actions. However, cats are quick to react and are aware of their surroundings e.g. they know not to run out into a busy road while a dog will try to take on a car and obviously lose.

Teabags
21-02-2013, 01:29 AM
how come you don't like cats, greg?

OldLoveSong
21-02-2013, 02:17 AM
cats are amazing so yes

-:Undertaker:-
21-02-2013, 08:33 AM
What? Dogs were domesticated from gray wolves, and they're still going strong 15,000 years later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_wolf

I'd say dogs are superior, much more useful to use humans and more intelligent.

Where they came from doesn't matter, we're talking about today. The truth is, most breeds of dog wouldn't survive without humans - especially the smaller varieties and only the larger ones would end up carrying on. Cats on the other hand are broadly the same (with exception of exotic varieties such as the Persians) and would make it on their own regardless.

I don't dispute though that dogs are more intelligent in terms of feelings, we've all read stories of dogs heartbroken when their owner dies unlike a cat.

Swearwolf
21-02-2013, 02:09 PM
i prefer cats theyre cleaner, less smelly and less annoying in general

karter
21-02-2013, 04:01 PM
aw i love love dogs but i would prefer having cats coz u dont need to take em for a walk and they're like mostly cool all by themselves and they're beautiful!!

Rozi
21-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Where they came from doesn't matter, we're talking about today. The truth is, most breeds of dog wouldn't survive without humans - especially the smaller varieties and only the larger ones would end up carrying on. Cats on the other hand are broadly the same (with exception of exotic varieties such as the Persians) and would make it on their own regardless.

I don't dispute though that dogs are more intelligent in terms of feelings, we've all read stories of dogs heartbroken when their owner dies unlike a cat.

Cats are very good at keeping a grudge though!
Whenever we get back from holiday my cats always have a ***** fit for a few days.

Charz777
25-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Dogs are by far more useful to humans, look at drug-finding 'sniffer' dogs, or those police ones that chase/catch criminals, or guide dogs etc... But at the same time they need far more attention and can be quite irritating. The phrase "followed you around like a puppy" has it's literal meaning right there. Cats are such free, independent spirits. More elegant and much more 'soothing' company.

However, a well trained dog (and I mean trained in everything, not just knows what 'sit' and 'dinner' means) then they are almost astonishing. I am amazed by the intelligence and obedience of my auntie's dog; but she was married to a police dog handler so it is kind of a given that they train dogs beyond the norm.

JoeyK.
27-02-2013, 04:14 AM
That depends what you mean by superior. The cats I've had were smarter, but I've always been a dog person. Dogs listen to you, whereas cats just do whatever they like. I'll always have both, but the number of dogs will always outnumber any cats I have ;)

Aiden
27-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Dogs because there better and cats are always on the bad side in films! :D

Ardemax
27-02-2013, 08:12 PM
If cats could speak English they'd probably lie to you

Stephen
01-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Depends what you mean like if you mean superior as a pet then no

cats are disgusting

and whoever said cats are cleaner..... you call kicking poo coated stones around the house CLEAN?

Metric1
02-03-2013, 06:38 AM
love my cats and dog v much.

Yawn
02-03-2013, 12:23 PM
no cats are so smelly especially their litter trays EWWW :S

Calum0812
02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Dogs are so much, I don't know, cute-er than Cats....

Never had a cat myself though....

Rozi
02-03-2013, 09:42 PM
does no one know that cats are capable of peeing outside..... catflaps help hugely

Stephen
02-03-2013, 10:42 PM
does no one know that cats are capable of peeing outside..... catflaps help hugely

yeah I noticed they poo outside too, mainly in other people's gardens

Yawn
10-03-2013, 01:26 PM
this is further evidence as to why dogs r the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5uFxg-Q298

zombies
10-03-2013, 03:08 PM
i'm not sure, because dogs and cats can both be cute. people who are obsessed with cats though..

MKR&*42
10-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Cats cause of how many amazing tumblr pics there are of cats:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/29fb593296ceb6073539a93ece351ee1/tumblr_mjaz3aAig81rfm1d2o1_400.jpg

<3_3

Seriously, I don't mind either... I don't think one is more superior than the other :P

Teabags
01-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Jack Byrnes (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000134/): Greg, how come you don't like cats?
Greg Focker (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001774/): I don't not like cats. I-I just - I just prefer dogs. I mean, I'm just more of a dog kind of, you know. Come home, wagging their little tails, happy to see you kind of...
Jack Byrnes (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000134/): You need that assurance, do you? You prefer an emotionally shallow animal?

Cats>dogs after Meet the Parents.

!x!dude!x!2
01-04-2013, 08:30 PM
cats are so much better

Demi
06-04-2013, 01:11 PM
None are superior, we are superior.

Pigperson
06-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Dogs.

What's the point of having a pet that would rather roam elsewhere when you want to play with it. I know there is more work with dogs but I see it more as a benefit as it gives me my exercise and I can walk the dog with mates. Dogs can be trained as well, they come in so many breeds that you can take your pick with size, shape, shape of ears, nose etc.

Will

LiquidLuck.
07-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I've always wanted a dog, and January last year my mother finally agreed on buying one. I love him, but to be honest, even though he is a great company and really a best friend, he gives as much trouble as a little kid. You need to always be careful, give him bath, take him to the street so he doesn't pee and crap all over your house, and most of all, teach him.

A few months after getting the dog, I convinced my mother into adopting a cat that one of my friends found on the street, and in August we found a one day old kitten near our house, about to be killed by my mother's foot, because she didn't even see the cat.

Now, comparing both, I must tell you that cats are so much easier to get. They learn on their own where their bathroom is, they clean themselves, but indeed you can't really teach them.

In terms of being able to live well on their own, cats have that in my opinion. In what comes to being more intelligent, I haven't quite understood if cats are just more clever to don't care about humans and not bothered or just aren't as smart as dogs.

Dizziti
08-04-2013, 03:01 AM
I agreed to Cats because as LiquidLuck. says ytou don't need to teach them and they know what they are doing rather than dogs.

LiquidLuck.
08-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I agreed to Cats because as LiquidLuck. says ytou don't need to teach them and they know what they are doing rather than dogs.

And I don't know about other people with cats, but mine know what their names are, and know exactly when they are doing something they aren't supposed to, as they keep watching out if I'm looking at them or not. So cute :3

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!