PDA

View Full Version : Funny Foreign Words - Ends 17th March

Pigperson
08-03-2013, 07:24 PM
http://Habbox.com/text/91/Funny+Foreign%20Words

As a student of foreign languages, if I had a pound for every strange or funny word I've seen, I would be rich (I could probably go to that country for a holiday). Anyway, the wonders of foreign languages are endless in my opinion as you can travel the world with a few languages under your belt with ease. I want to know if you have come across any strange words or if you can find any so post below any funny or weird foreign word with its meaning.

The most peculiar and funny word will win, good luck to all!

Prize: 5 credits + 10 rep

Basshunter2309
13-03-2013, 07:43 AM
I find it strange and weird that "Ananas" means Pineapple in so so soooo many countries including, French, Italian, Romanian, Czech, Polish, Turkish, German, Croatian, Serbian and also in Greek, Arabic and Russian. I know there are some languages I have missed because there are too many!

God
14-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Desenrascanco (Portuguese)

Means:

To pull a MacGyver

This is the art of slapping together a solution to a problem at the last minute, with no advanced planning, and no resources. It's the coat hanger you use to fish your car keys out of the toilet, the emergency mustache you hastily construct out of pubic hair.
What's interesting about desenrascano (literally "to disentangle" yourself out of a bad situation), the Portuguese word for these last-minute solutions, is what is says about their culture.
Where most of us were taught the Boy Scout slogan "be prepared," and are constantly hassled if we don't plan every little thing ahead, the Portuguese value just the opposite.

Zac.
17-03-2013, 03:02 AM
Pussay -
"Kiss" in Hungarian. Lol.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!