PDA

View Full Version : GCSE/A Level (Or Equivalent) Help Offered

Demi
25-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone, if you need any GCSE/A Level (or equivalent) help then please ask here. I am very able to help and won't go into details to what profession I do (some of you may already know this) however if you need some help, ask away here.

Quote me so I know who to reply to, I won't guarantee instant replies but will reply as quick as I can.

Offers there! :¬:

lemons
25-03-2013, 08:57 PM
WHAT DO YOU WRITE IN A INTRODUCTION OF A ENGLISH LIT CONTROLLED ASSESSMENT

PS WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION

Rozi
25-03-2013, 09:03 PM
is this all feeling a bit :technical to anyone else.....

but yes please tell me how to pass my history a2 exam because I think I'm gonna do ****

Cerys
25-03-2013, 09:48 PM
omg ok

how to remember like, 50 cases (case names and dates and details) for my law gcse in 5weeks. (its silly ok ;; )

MKR&*42
25-03-2013, 09:50 PM
omg ok

how to remember like, 50 cases (case names and dates and details) for my law gcse in 5weeks. (its silly ok ;; )

I vouch for this. there are so many cases and authorities to remember it's unreal.

Oh but AS level*

Demi
25-03-2013, 10:52 PM
WHAT DO YOU WRITE IN A INTRODUCTION OF A ENGLISH LIT CONTROLLED ASSESSMENT

PS WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION

Is this GCSE or A Level? Introductions usually cover the topic you are covering and/or what you are writing about. It should introduce everything in your assessment and should really give the reader an overall idea of what they are about to embark on.

is this all feeling a bit :technical to anyone else.....

but yes please tell me how to pass my history a2 exam because I think I'm gonna do ****

Can't really tell you how to pass your exam, but why do you think that you're going to fail? Perhaps look for some revision booklets or past exam papers and practice on those?

omg ok

The best way (in my opinion) is to write all these case names, dates & details on separate pieces of paper/cut-ups and then slowly begin to match these up. Your brain will picture these in your head, so when you come to remember one you'll see "CASE NAME - Date/Details" in your head.

See below example:

Case Date/Details
#1 Lorem ipsum... etc...
#2 Lorem ipsum... etc...

You get the jist, now cut up the case numbers/names and then the date/details and then play match-up with them. Make this on Word or something, but keep a correct copy so if you're stuck go back to it.

I vouch for this. there are so many cases and authorities to remember it's unreal.

Oh but AS level*

See above ^^

Hope any of this helped you guys, I did forget to say GCSE/AS/A2 ICT or Computing mainly, but will try to help with anything else.

iBlueBox
25-03-2013, 11:12 PM
How do I pass ICT 3 - A2 WJEC exam?

Kyle
25-03-2013, 11:29 PM
omg ok

Oh but AS level*
Not really sure why people are insistent on remembering dates, it just confuses the whole process and for the most part they aren't actually all that relevant. Statutes (Acts of Parliament) are the only ones you should really be actively trying to keep in your memory.

Throughout my law A level I've had a notebook where I write the case name alone and draw a picture related to the point of the case and/or its name. For example:
http://i47.tinypic.com/21jzqm1.png
(sorry for bad quality) this is my non-fatal offences against the person section with a list of cases. R v Wilson (2nd case down) shows a man saying 'get out the knives' and there's a group of people running to show that words alone can elicit fear of immediate force and thus he (Wilson) could be held criminally liable for assault.
It doesn't really matter whether you're a visual learner or not, your effort to think of a picture that sums up the case will aid your memory and the more you review it, the easier you'll find that you remember it.

good luck with your exams:)

MKR&*42
25-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Not really sure why people are insistent on remembering dates, it just confuses the whole process and for the most part they aren't actually all that relevant. Statutes (Acts of Parliament) are the only ones you should really be actively trying to keep in your memory.

Throughout my law A level I've had a notebook where I write the case name alone and draw a picture related to the point of the case and/or its name. For example:
(sorry for bad quality) this is my non-fatal offences against the person section with a list of cases. R v Wilson (2nd case down) shows a man saying 'get out the knives' and there's a group of people running to show that words alone can elicit fear of immediate force and thus he (Wilson) could be held criminally liable for assault.
It doesn't really matter whether you're a visual learner or not, your effort to think of a picture that sums up the case will aid your memory and the more you review it, the easier you'll find that you remember it.

The best way (in my opinion) is to write all these case names, dates & details on separate pieces of paper/cut-ups and then slowly begin to match these up. Your brain will picture these in your head, so when you come to remember one you'll see "CASE NAME - Date/Details" in your head.

See below example:

Case Date/Details
#1 Lorem ipsum... etc...
#2 Lorem ipsum... etc...

You get the jist, now cut up the case numbers/names and then the date/details and then play match-up with them. Make this on Word or something, but keep a correct copy so if you're stuck go back to it.

Thanks you two :) +rep

Demi
25-03-2013, 11:54 PM
How do I pass ICT 3 - A2 WJEC exam?

REVISE! Good app: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/a2-level-ict/id503691586?mt=8
Also, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1969406 - about 5-7 posts down, some past papers to look at!

Hope it helps :)

I actually love your way, I just posted my way of doings things but to try and twist it to the Law side. I obviously forgot to state in first post that I am more ICT / Computing based than anything.

However, will state that anyone just asking to pass exams etc... Tell me what you're struggling on and I can try find some resources for you. Ie, Networking etc...

Zelda
26-03-2013, 06:11 PM
How to best revise for physics AS exam, just the mechanics one fine on other, when our teacher has missed out about half the unit and when I very much struggle to get my head around mechanics and the teacher never answers any of our questions.

Also how best to revise for a music AS exam when last year for GCSE my revision techniques for music just didn't work at all and I have no idea how to, especially with remembering all the specific details of all the pieces.

Demi
26-03-2013, 06:40 PM
How to best revise for physics AS exam, just the mechanics one fine on other, when our teacher has missed out about half the unit and when I very much struggle to get my head around mechanics and the teacher never answers any of our questions.

Also how best to revise for a music AS exam when last year for GCSE my revision techniques for music just didn't work at all and I have no idea how to, especially with remembering all the specific details of all the pieces.

Lets start with Physics, you'd probably be best to (sorry repeating what I said above) find some exam papers, find out what the exam specification is and with whom (AQA etc...) and then google this, look at past papers and see what kind of things they ask. Revise for similar items and then just keyword each, have little flip books to flick through once or twice before you go to sleep at night.

Music AS exams are a bit more difficult per say (in my opinion), what was the last techniques that you used? I'd say again as above, find past exam papers and have a look at the types of questions, flip books work the best with sections summarised each time.

lemons
26-03-2013, 07:09 PM
When is the best time to start revising for summer gcse exams (LIKE PROPER NO MORE HABBO REVISION!)

Zelda
26-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Lets start with Physics, you'd probably be best to (sorry repeating what I said above) find some exam papers, find out what the exam specification is and with whom (AQA etc...) and then google this, look at past papers and see what kind of things they ask. Revise for similar items and then just keyword each, have little flip books to flick through once or twice before you go to sleep at night

Music AS exams are a bit more difficult per say (in my opinion), what was the last techniques that you used? I'd say again as above, find past exam papers and have a look at the types of questions, flip books work the best with sections summarised each time.

Last time it was mainly just listening to set works trying past questions and reading revision guides for music at gcse, problem is the pieces change each year at AS so there aren't actually any past papers or any specimen papers for that :(

Demi
26-03-2013, 09:36 PM
When is the best time to start revising for summer gcse exams (LIKE PROPER NO MORE HABBO REVISION!)

You'll probably get revision sessions in school for this, but also start during the end of April at the latest, take it easy as it will go in to your head easier. Start by building little blocks of information up and then gradually you'll start remembering everything.

Last time it was mainly just listening to set works trying past questions and reading revision guides for music at gcse, problem is the pieces change each year at AS so there aren't actually any past papers or any specimen papers for that :(

Ah I see, well you could always ask your teacher for advice on this as they will have some sort of clue as to what may be happening in future exams. This is a tricky one if it changes, but see if you can spot a 'trend' and then work from that.

Amberr
27-03-2013, 10:17 AM
How do I pass my A2 English Language B exam, with the teacher I have this year all I've learnt that it's something to do with language change and childrens language but thats about it. I am bricking it.

Demi
27-03-2013, 03:42 PM
How do I pass my A2 English Language B exam, with the teacher I have this year all I've learnt that it's something to do with language change and childrens language but thats about it. I am bricking it.

Seen any past papers? Similar response to above (I'm more ICT/Computing qualified) so pretty much similar feedback to what I gave to the above posters. Sorry :(

Ardemax
27-03-2013, 05:08 PM
When's a good time to start revising for A/S and how many hours should I be putting in daily?

HarrySX
27-03-2013, 05:17 PM
When's a good time to start revising for A/S and how many hours should I be putting in daily?

Now... as many as you can fit.

Ardemax
27-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Now... as many as you can fit.

Shouldn't I be slightly worried of over-doing it? Isn't there something like you only learn for around 30 minutes, then you need to take a break then continue etc. etc.

Demi
27-03-2013, 06:48 PM

Spend 30 minutes revising, 5 minutes break or 1 hour revising and 10 minutes break. Do this max for 2-3 hous a day MAXIMUM and then continue. :)

Ardemax
27-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Spend 30 minutes revising, 5 minutes break or 1 hour revising and 10 minutes break. Do this max for 2-3 hous a day MAXIMUM and then continue. :)

So revise for a total of 3 hours a day and then stop? Doesn't sound too bad to me :) Maybe aswell +rep for that haha

Zelda
27-03-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm assuming considering 3 of my 4 subjects for AS are ones i'd just be doing past papers for, would it make sense just to do like a few past papers a day with them lot? Maths ones don't normally take me long anyway, other then d1.

Demi
27-03-2013, 11:12 PM
So revise for a total of 3 hours a day and then stop? Doesn't sound too bad to me :) Maybe aswell +rep for that haha

Yeah max it out to 2/3 hours a day. Rest and then do again the next day :)!

I'm assuming considering 3 of my 4 subjects for AS are ones i'd just be doing past papers for, would it make sense just to do like a few past papers a day with them lot? Maths ones don't normally take me long anyway, other then d1.

Yeah past papers would be the best. :)

GommeInc
28-03-2013, 10:42 AM
omg ok

Do you have to do that? Quite often you may find that you just need to use the nickname of the case or go by when the basic details of the case or the details therein happened. Has your GCSE teacher said you must remember the exact details?

e.g. The case of Donoghue v Stevenson is referred to as the foundational case of tort and is given the fitting name of the "snail in the bottle" case (due to the details of the case being that Ms. Donoghue consumed a bottle of ginger beer which, on closer inspection, contained the remnants of a decomposing snail which made her ill) or "Paisley case" (because it took place in Paisley). Depending on the type of question (essay or problem solving), the details such as name and date become just a burden on thought processing and word limits, when examiners are more interested in your analytical skills of taking the core details e.g. the ratio decidendi or obiter dictum of the case and applying them to a problem or dissecting that particular case within an essay structure.

It's best to ask your tutor if it is required to list full-names as they may prefer you do that, but it's best to find out if it is strictly necessary as you may find you are wasting your time trying to remember names and forgetting the content of the cases and laws which you may be called upon to refer to. Date is not usually necessary unless you're doing a sequence of events showing an evolution of precedence on a particular topic e.g. negligence and tort as seen above. Even so, date is not strictly necessary as you could say "the foundational case of y was supported by the case of x which reaffirmed the Courts decision that the details of x will apply to any future cases such as y and z because..."

Kyle offered quite good advice on using drawings to remember cases, too. Just in case you were wondering if that's a good idea, but whatever works for you :)

Matthew
28-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Also I'm not sure how well known the site is (everyone might have heard of it idk) but for A level maths, go to www.examsolutions.net (http://www.examsolutions.net) (and click on your exam board at the top).

It got me through my mechanics exam (I really didn't get mechanics at all, but after watching the videos on M1 I managed to get a mid A which I was not expecting at all a few weeks before the exam). I'll be watching all of the C3/C4 videos for my exams coming up, too :).

EDIT: just realised there's GCSE videos on there too!

Ardemax
31-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Also I'm not sure how well known the site is (everyone might have heard of it idk) but for A level maths, go to www.examsolutions.net (http://www.examsolutions.net) (and click on your exam board at the top).

It got me through my mechanics exam (I really didn't get mechanics at all, but after watching the videos on M1 I managed to get a mid A which I was not expecting at all a few weeks before the exam). I'll be watching all of the C3/C4 videos for my exams coming up, too :).

EDIT: just realised there's GCSE videos on there too!

That seems quite helpful, thanks +rep

Matthew
31-03-2013, 09:33 PM
That seems quite helpful, thanks +rep

It is :D

Its like being taught everything again, which I find great as I tend to remember things better when they're said to me rather than when I read/write them.

Ardemax
01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
It is :D

Its like being taught everything again, which I find great as I tend to remember things better when they're said to me rather than when I read/write them.

Yeah and luckily the bits I'm struggling on for physics are all under mechanics :)

Froggydoo
03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I've gotta learn 15 poems and compare them in my English Exam :( help please.

Demi
03-04-2013, 09:31 PM

You have to learn FIFTEEN?! That's excessive...
I'd relate the poems to something to remember them?

Froggydoo
03-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Thats actually a great idea. Thanks :)

You have to learn FIFTEEN?! That's excessive...
I'd relate the poems to something to remember them?

iRaaave.
03-04-2013, 09:33 PM
I got a U in INFO 1 AS ICT because they raised the stupid grade boundaries was a few marks from an E. I seem to have lost most of my revision material my teacher gave me, would you be able to provide me with some sort of revision material?

Demi
03-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Thats actually a great idea. Thanks :)

You're welcome :)!

I got a U in INFO 1 AS ICT because they raised the stupid grade boundaries was a few marks from an E. I seem to have lost most of my revision material my teacher gave me, would you be able to provide me with some sort of revision material?

Umm what exam board is it?

iRaaave.
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
You're welcome :)!

Umm what exam board is it?

AQA.

Demi
03-04-2013, 10:57 PM
AQA.

Here are some past papers:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/ict/ict_materials.php

Kardan
04-04-2013, 12:46 AM

Is it GCSE English? You don't actually have to learn the poems, you just need to understand them and what they mean - you'll be given the poems in the actual exam. Assuming it hasn't changed in 4 years...

Matthew
04-04-2013, 10:39 AM

is that for the IGCSE?

Froggydoo
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm not actually sure. We were given 2 books to study 15 poems at home and in lesson. I think it's towards our final grade. I'll have a look though.

is that for the IGCSE?

Demi
04-04-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm not actually sure. We were given 2 books to study 15 poems at home and in lesson. I think it's towards our final grade. I'll have a look though.

It'll most likely be to understand them, there's no way they'll get you to remember ALL at GCSE level. Don't panic and stay awesome :)!

Froggydoo
04-04-2013, 11:42 AM
They're only about 7 lines each. Just to clear they're not pages long :D

It'll most likely be to understand them, there's no way they'll get you to remember ALL at GCSE level. Don't panic and stay awesome :)!

Matthew
04-04-2013, 11:43 AM

who's your exam board?

You'd probably know if it was IGCSE.

for my igcse english we got a big book of around 15 poems and we just went through and annotated them all.. Don't feel you have to learn each poem off by heart. All I did was read over the poems a few times each before the exam and try to take a mental note of some of the IMPORTANT annotations I made. It should be easy enough to remember a good amount of the notes you made when the exam comes- remember, you don't need to write down EVERYTHING you noted down on the poem when you went through it (assuming you have :O) so don't feel like you need to :).

Demi
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM

Yeah you'll be fine!

Froggydoo
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
You've just described what we have to do. We got a book with poems and we have to learn 15.

who's your exam board?

You'd probably know if it was IGCSE.

for my igcse english we got a big book of around 15 poems and we just went through and annotated them all.. Don't feel you have to learn each poem off by heart. All I did was read over the poems a few times each before the exam and try to take a mental note of some of the IMPORTANT annotations I made. It should be easy enough to remember a good amount of the notes you made when the exam comes- remember, you don't need to write down EVERYTHING you noted down on the poem when you went through it (assuming you have :O) so don't feel like you need to :).

Matthew
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM

oh right, many of mine were over a page long :(

We also had 10 short stories (i.e up to 10 a4 pages long) to learn too... As long as you understand the jist of the poems/stories (if you have stories to learn too) then you should be fine :).

@Froggydoo (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=81449); well it COULD be IGCSE then.. I'm not sure. I didn't take the gcse so I'm not sure if people who take that exam have to learn poems/stories too..

As I said above, do you have stories to learn as well? And who's your exam board?

Froggydoo
04-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the help :) and Demi;

We also had 10 short stories (i.e up to 10 a4 pages long) to learn too... As long as you understand the jist of the poems/stories (if you have stories to learn too) then you should be fine :).

Demi
04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the help :) and Demi;

You're welcome :)

Froggydoo
04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
They're all just poems. I don't know my exam board :S

@Froggydoo (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=81449); well it COULD be IGCSE then.. I'm not sure. I didn't take the gcse so I'm not sure if people who take that exam have to learn poems/stories too..

As I said above, do you have stories to learn as well? And who's your exam board?

Matthew
04-04-2013, 11:52 AM
They're all just poems. I don't know my exam board :S

Ah its wont be igcse then.

Haven't you done any past papers yet, or at least looked through some questions? I'm surprised you don't know your exam board :O

Froggydoo
04-04-2013, 11:54 AM
We only started it 2 lessons ago. At the moment we're looking at 2 poems and analyzing the important text.

Demi
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
We only started it 2 lessons ago. At the moment we're looking at 2 poems and analyzing the important text.

Give it time then, once you've gotten used to them the rest will be a breeze!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!