PDA

View Full Version : First time flying.. [12 Rep+]

Jarkie
19-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Howdy. :)

In a few weeks I will be flying for the first time ever. I am going to be using the company British Airways, and asking people for their experiences flying with this company.

For example, what are you allowed to take with you: tooth paste, body gels etc? also any advice for a first time flyer? I am pretty nervous as I will be on my own.

Rep+ for good replies made.

:)

Teabags
19-05-2013, 04:18 PM
You're allowed like gels that are under 100ml.
&you put all those in a clear plastic bag. They provide them at the airport, but they're like £1.
The bottles can't be more than 100ml though. So like a half full bottle of water, they don't let you have :l
Bit awk.

It's only takeoff and landing that is any worry. Chewing gum might help you pop your ears - or continual yawning. Should be fine though and it happens on it's own. Make sure you get on the right flight + be like Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone II. There's loads of waiting around time though. You have to check in like 2hours before your flight so chances are you won't miss it.
Take food like chocolate or something and books/ some game thing, chances are you'll get bored + hungry.

It's not all that comfy necessarily to sleep on the flight, BA isn't terrible though. Generally your neighbour passengers are friendly enough, otherwise it's just socially awkward for the whole flight.

Enjoy your holiday Jarkie

Kieran
19-05-2013, 04:24 PM
If you're really nervous ask if you can have a quick look in the flight deck. Be amazed how many people it calms down to actually see who's flying the plane (Maybe not in my case >:] )

Jarkie
19-05-2013, 09:38 PM
You're allowed like gels that are under 100ml.
&you put all those in a clear plastic bag. They provide them at the airport, but they're like £1.
The bottles can't be more than 100ml though. So like a half full bottle of water, they don't let you have :l
Bit awk.

It's only takeoff and landing that is any worry. Chewing gum might help you pop your ears - or continual yawning. Should be fine though and it happens on it's own. Make sure you get on the right flight + be like Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone II. There's loads of waiting around time though. You have to check in like 2hours before your flight so chances are you won't miss it.
Take food like chocolate or something and books/ some game thing, chances are you'll get bored + hungry.

It's not all that comfy necessarily to sleep on the flight, BA isn't terrible though. Generally your neighbour passengers are friendly enough, otherwise it's just socially awkward for the whole flight.

Enjoy your holiday @Jarkie (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=18695)

Thanks for this mate! rep+

If you're really nervous ask if you can have a quick look in the flight deck. Be amazed how many people it calms down to actually see who's flying the plane (Maybe not in my case >:] )

Haha, I forgot you flew plans Kieran. Are we allowed to bring mobiles phones on planes etc?

Cerys
19-05-2013, 09:44 PM
You have to have the wifi etc on your phones turned off

Usually phones have a 'flight mode' which will do it all automatically for you when you activate it, so you don't have to fiddle with many settings :)

goodluck and have fun, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

e5
19-05-2013, 10:46 PM
this could help

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/images/uploaded/311_poster_585wide.jpg

or another link here: http://www.ehow.com/way_5261068_cant-onto-airline-flight.html

Jarkie
20-05-2013, 10:00 AM
You have to have the wifi etc on your phones turned off

Usually phones have a 'flight mode' which will do it all automatically for you when you activate it, so you don't have to fiddle with many settings :)

goodluck and have fun, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Cheers :)

this could help

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/images/uploaded/311_poster_585wide.jpg

or another link here: http://www.ehow.com/way_5261068_cant-onto-airline-flight.html

This is perfect, many thanks!

Yawn
20-05-2013, 10:36 AM
make sure u go to the loo b4 ur flight but make sure u take some empty bottles cos u might need the loo during ur flight and planes dont have toilets. u will def need bottles if its a long flight

Kieran
20-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Cheers :)

This is perfect, many thanks!

This is American. I believe for European flights you can take a maximum of 1L of liquids through, each one no bigger than 100ml and in a clear plastic bag that you can seal (You can usually get these at the airport for £1/2 or free at some).

As to mobiles: Yes you can take them on but you'll get asked to put it in flight safe mode and then turn it off until the seatbelt signs have been switched off. As long as the cabin crew don't see it during the takeoff and landing they won't say anything.

Grig
20-05-2013, 03:37 PM
make sure u go to the loo b4 ur flight but make sure u take some empty bottles cos u might need the loo during ur flight and planes dont have toilets. u will def need bottles if its a long flight

Unless we're still in the 60's, all planes have toilets now so that's not a problem :P!

British Airways isn't my favourite company, but it's decent (maybe I'm picky seeing as I'm a frequent flier). Remember to not take any sharp objects, even after flying regularly there are some days I don't think and get caught out with them.

Drinks and stuff are not a problem as on BA, you can ask for as many as you like on most flights, alcohol included! Some of the newer planes do have wifi, but this is still a rarity and on business class normally, so you'll probably not have access.

Also, be sure to check the weight of your baggage, because depending where you're going you could be in for some hefty overweight charges.

Kardan
20-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Whilst we're on flight related questions. Handheld game consoles... I presume they are okay on flights, as long as they are turned off during take off/landing?

Spoltage
20-05-2013, 04:06 PM
I fly every two years (from Manchester airport UK to Orlando) on a 9 hour journey, here's a few tips:

- make sure you pack your suitcase and carry on bag at least 4 days before your fly, this will stop you from rushing around last minute and getting yourself stressed.
- make a list of what you wish to take and tick it off once its packed (last year my sister left a dress she got specially for the holiday at home), remember clothes for the appropriate weather, electronics chargers etc etc.
- if your flight is early in the morning go to bed early at night and get as much sleep as you can (i usually don't get much due to excitement)
- Before you go make sure you know how to get to the airport (sat navs come in use :D)
- Take some snacks such as sweets and if you are a fussy eater (like me) take some sandwiches in case you do not like the plane food.
- if it is an overnight flight i recommend you take your own pillow or a neck pillow (most airports sell these).
- dress comfy for the flight (take into consideration the weather of your home country and the country your going to) - i usually wear halfies and a jumper, i then take off this jumper when we land in Orlando and never wear it till we come home!!
- liquids such as perfumes/deodrants have been mentioned by many people above so i wont go into this.
- when going through secruity make sure you take off all metal including belts, also take off your shoes when waiting in line as this is required and if you do it before hand you will not be holding up the que. (also in america last time i went they asked for tablets and laptops to be taken out bags and put into trays by them selves - you are allowed to keep the cover on though so do this while waiting in line too).
- make sure you have all appropriate documents and have them in an easy to reach place within your carry on bag.
- make sure you are there 2 hours before hand!!
- take anything to entertain you for example a sketch pad, electronic devices, puzzles, books etc.
- if you plan on sleeping make sure your seat belt is on and visible for the cabin crew to see otherwise they may have to wake you up.
- stretch your legs: even if you don't need to go to the toilet (ALL COMMERCIAL PLANES HAVE THEM BTW!!!), walk around the plan a bit or do leg exercises while sat down.
- not to worry but KNOW the exit doors and where your life jacket is etc, the captain will talk you through this and the cabin crew will point to your nearest exit. (Sorry to dissapoint but they are not always like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYA_ivyj3kE
- if your airplane has TVs in the back of the screen use and abuse (don't break them) them, watch a movie, play some games etc it will help pass the time. last year i fell asleep watching battleship but i watched the hunger games and jack and jill.
- once you have arrived there try to get off the plane quickly (but saftley) say thank you to the cabin crew who ussually stand near the door, after all if it wasn't for them you wouldn't be there!! Then continue through security etc quickly so you can get to luggage pickup quickly as this gets busy!!!
- expect long lines, afterall your not the only one going on holiday!!

This is all i can think of for now (also my tea is ready)

Hope you have a safe flight and enjoy your holiday!!

Sam

Adam
20-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Watch Castaway beforehand.

Jarkie
20-05-2013, 04:18 PM
This is American. I believe for European flights you can take a maximum of 1L of liquids through, each one no bigger than 100ml and in a clear plastic bag that you can seal (You can usually get these at the airport for £1/2 or free at some).

As to mobiles: Yes you can take them on but you'll get asked to put it in flight safe mode and then turn it off until the seatbelt signs have been switched off. As long as the cabin crew don't see it during the takeoff and landing they won't say anything.

Oh thank you.

British Airways isn't my favourite company, but it's decent (maybe I'm picky seeing as I'm a frequent flier). Remember to not take any sharp objects, even after flying regularly there are some days I don't think and get caught out with them.

Drinks and stuff are not a problem as on BA, you can ask for as many as you like on most flights, alcohol included! Some of the newer planes do have wifi, but this is still a rarity and on business class normally, so you'll probably not have access.

Also, be sure to check the weight of your baggage, because depending where you're going you could be in for some hefty overweight charges.

Oh nice, what airline do you use then? I would of gone with Easyjet but most of my friends say to avoid that company.

I fly every two years (from Manchester airport UK to Orlando) on a 9 hour journey, here's a few tips:

- make sure you pack your suitcase and carry on bag at least 4 days before your fly, this will stop you from rushing around last minute and getting yourself stressed.
- make a list of what you wish to take and tick it off once its packed (last year my sister left a dress she got specially for the holiday at home), remember clothes for the appropriate weather, electronics chargers etc etc.
- if your flight is early in the morning go to bed early at night and get as much sleep as you can (i usually don't get much due to excitement)
- Before you go make sure you know how to get to the airport (sat navs come in use :D)
- Take some snacks such as sweets and if you are a fussy eater (like me) take some sandwiches in case you do not like the plane food.
- if it is an overnight flight i recommend you take your own pillow or a neck pillow (most airports sell these).
- dress comfy for the flight (take into consideration the weather of your home country and the country your going to) - i usually wear halfies and a jumper, i then take off this jumper when we land in Orlando and never wear it till we come home!!
- liquids such as perfumes/deodrants have been mentioned by many people above so i wont go into this.
- when going through secruity make sure you take off all metal including belts, also take off your shoes when waiting in line as this is required and if you do it before hand you will not be holding up the que. (also in america last time i went they asked for tablets and laptops to be taken out bags and put into trays by them selves - you are allowed to keep the cover on though so do this while waiting in line too).
- make sure you have all appropriate documents and have them in an easy to reach place within your carry on bag.
- make sure you are there 2 hours before hand!!
- take anything to entertain you for example a sketch pad, electronic devices, puzzles, books etc.
- if you plan on sleeping make sure your seat belt is on and visible for the cabin crew to see otherwise they may have to wake you up.
- stretch your legs: even if you don't need to go to the toilet (ALL COMMERCIAL PLANES HAVE THEM BTW!!!), walk around the plan a bit or do leg exercises while sat down.
- not to worry but KNOW the exit doors and where your life jacket is etc, the captain will talk you through this and the cabin crew will point to your nearest exit. (Sorry to dissapoint but they are not always like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYA_ivyj3kE
- if your airplane has TVs in the back of the screen use and abuse (don't break them) them, watch a movie, play some games etc it will help pass the time. last year i fell asleep watching battleship but i watched the hunger games and jack and jill.
- once you have arrived there try to get off the plane quickly (but saftley) say thank you to the cabin crew who ussually stand near the door, after all if it wasn't for them you wouldn't be there!! Then continue through security etc quickly so you can get to luggage pickup quickly as this gets busy!!!
- expect long lines, afterall your not the only one going on holiday!!

This is all i can think of for now (also my tea is ready)

Hope you have a safe flight and enjoy your holiday!!

Sam

This is fantastic, a job to read.and lovely the video haha. :)

Watch Castaway beforehand.

lol plane crashes don't scare me :P I;ve watched the whole of lost, so if i crash on an island I will look for a bunker with lots of food in it :P

Adam
20-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Safest way of travelling so it shouldn't scare you.

Spoltage
20-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Safest way of travelling so it shouldn't scare you.

Correction, the safest way to travel is by flamingo!

Sam

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 05:57 PM ----------

This is fantastic, a job to read.and lovely the video haha. :)

No problem, glad to help! If you have any questions just shoot!!

Sam

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 05:59 PM ----------

Whilst we're on flight related questions. Handheld game consoles... I presume they are okay on flights, as long as they are turned off during take off/landing?

Yes they are ok, all electronics do need to be turned off during take off and phones/ipods/whatever has internet access needs to be turned into flight mode for the full duration of your flight but you can use them to play games, do work (as if plane flights aren't depressing enough) etc.

Sam

Yawn
20-05-2013, 05:07 PM
in hong kong perhaps grig but not in britain. where does the poo and wee go if u do it in an airplane?? :S exactly there no where for it to go

Spoltage
20-05-2013, 05:15 PM
in hong kong perhaps grig but not in britain. where does the poo and wee go if u do it in an airplane?? :S exactly there no where for it to go

God knows what planes you go on!!

Most commercial airplanes have toilets.

Where it goes: it is stored in a tank within the plane and then it is propperly dispoased of when the plane reaches the next airport. Planes for short journeys may not have toilets i do not know as i have only ever been on 7-9 hour flights.

Sam

Adam
20-05-2013, 05:50 PM
All commercial planes have toilets.

Spoltage
20-05-2013, 05:53 PM
All commercial planes have toilets.

Exactly what i thought.. sounds like shes never been on a plane lol

Sam

Yawn
20-05-2013, 06:13 PM
basically take a lOT OF WATER BOTTLES 2 PEE IN AND A PLASTIC BAG FOR POOP maybe a curtain 2 surrounded urself for privacy OP

sex
20-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Exactly what i thought.. sounds like shes never been on a plane lol

Sam

um why u questioning subo she flys habbo airways twice a week i think she wud kno.

dunno if anyone said but bring something to suck on to stop your ears popping x

Spoltage
20-05-2013, 06:37 PM
um why u questioning subo she flys habbo airways twice a week i think she wud kno.

dunno if anyone said but bring something to suck on to stop your ears popping x

haha gotta love the service habbo airways provide....

Oh yes i totally forgot that in my list, i usually end up eating 4 sweets before we even take off/land then i have to get another for when we are actually taking off/landing.

I know the maker of this thread isn't going with them but virgin Atlantic provide sweets for you - the cabin crew come around with a tray of them offering you one :)

Sam

Reality
20-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Usually modern phones come with a flight mode I know that most IOS devices do this is just switched on until the take of has started and you are either descending or increasing.
You are only allowed to take 100ml bottle under and have to be provided in a clear plastic bag when you go through customs and security. BA is a very reliable airline unlike EasyJet :). Most of what I've said has been said by the other members.

But "Please have a pleasant flight with use on board this airbusA-03294-03249230-4 and hope enjoy your flight the BA team"

Enjoy your flight and holiday :) x
Thanks for this mate! rep+

Haha, I forgot you flew plans Kieran. Are we allowed to bring mobiles phones on planes etc?

Yawn
20-05-2013, 06:40 PM
habbo airways twice a week lmfaoooooooooo shut up stop it

(ok he isnt lying and im rly experienced so dont listen 2 the others i know wat im talking about alright)

Zak
20-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Howdy. :)

In a few weeks I will be flying for the first time ever. I am going to be using the company British Airways, and asking people for their experiences flying with this company.

For example, what are you allowed to take with you: tooth paste, body gels etc? also any advice for a first time flyer? I am pretty nervous as I will be on my own.

Rep+ for good replies made.

Don't worry British Airways is one of the most highly regarded and their safety records are impeccable. Their pilots are top notch too.

I've never had any problems taking any fluids on an aircraft, though last time I fly was with Egypt Air (a company I'd like to forget in regards to air travel). My girlfriend flew for the first time last year, she was nervous but now she doesn't know what all the fuss was about - you'll barely tell that you're in the air.

xxMATTGxx
20-05-2013, 09:14 PM

Correct :P

Chippiewill
21-05-2013, 10:10 AM
What are the rules for pilots?

Jack!
21-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Depends, did you pay for standing or sitting?

Kieran
21-05-2013, 08:00 PM
What are the rules for pilots?

Depends on the airport. In Germany I can pretty much take whatever I want through. In Gatwick we couldn't take anything.

Jarkie
22-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Usually modern phones come with a flight mode I know that most IOS devices do this is just switched on until the take of has started and you are either descending or increasing.
You are only allowed to take 100ml bottle under and have to be provided in a clear plastic bag when you go through customs and security. BA is a very reliable airline unlike EasyJet :). Most of what I've said has been said by the other members.

But "Please have a pleasant flight with use on board this airbusA-03294-03249230-4 and hope enjoy your flight the BA team"

Enjoy your flight and holiday :) x

Don't worry British Airways is one of the most highly regarded and their safety records are impeccable. Their pilots are top notch too.

I've never had any problems taking any fluids on an aircraft, though last time I fly was with Egypt Air (a company I'd like to forget in regards to air travel). My girlfriend flew for the first time last year, she was nervous but now she doesn't know what all the fuss was about - you'll barely tell that you're in the air.

Thank you, I am glad I booked with BA, than Easyjet. My friends where like do not book with them! haha. :)

Depends, did you pay for standing or sitting?

Going business class, so there better be seats haha. :)

Zak
22-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Business class is lovely :P

LiquidLuck.
22-05-2013, 08:57 PM
I don't know if it has been said here or not, but one thing I hate about flying is when it takes off or lands, and my ears are like clogged, or whatever it is called. If this happens to you there is an easy way of getting them to ''pop out''. Bit gross to explain it literally but here it goes: try forming a lot of saliva, and swallow lots of it. I don't know exactly why this helps, but my dad always told me to do this, and it does.

Enjoy your flight Jarkie;!

Pringe
22-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Not sure if this has been said, but here's what I do.
-Walk with a pack of gum/skittles/m&m's to chew on during take-off/landing (it helps pop your ears when clogged)
-Walk with a book to read to pass time
-Carry any device that can play songs/watch movies
-If you're going with family, think of some fun games to play on the plane.
-Carry a puzzle book (soduko, crossword, word sleuth etc)
-Walk with a pillow incase you want to sleep.. But since it's your first time I doubt you'll need it lol
-Walk with a paper bag, just incase you have fears of heights etc, feel free to puke in the bag...............
-Ensure you know where safety material is, just incase..... Sorry if I scared you there >_<
-If you get an aisle seat in the back... Goodluck... The toilet is right there, and,well, not everyone has a delightful smelling posterior...(personal experience)
-Try to get off the plane quickly. But carefully. There's gonna be alot of rush to get through immigration quickly..
-Just enjoy the ride. If you feel a slight turnulence in the flight, don't panic. You're just passing through clouds.
Hope my tips helped you! Goodluck!

Jarkie
25-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Business class is lovely :P

Haha I can't wait to see it etc :P have you been in business class then? I presume.

I don't know if it has been said here or not, but one thing I hate about flying is when it takes off or lands, and my ears are like clogged, or whatever it is called. If this happens to you there is an easy way of getting them to ''pop out''. Bit gross to explain it literally but here it goes: try forming a lot of saliva, and swallow lots of it. I don't know exactly why this helps, but my dad always told me to do this, and it does.

Enjoy your flight @Jarkie (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=18695);!

lol thanks :)

Not sure if this has been said, but here's what I do.
-Walk with a pack of gum/skittles/m&m's to chew on during take-off/landing (it helps pop your ears when clogged)
-Walk with a book to read to pass time
-Carry any device that can play songs/watch movies
-If you're going with family, think of some fun games to play on the plane.
-Carry a puzzle book (soduko, crossword, word sleuth etc)
-Walk with a pillow incase you want to sleep.. But since it's your first time I doubt you'll need it lol
-Walk with a paper bag, just incase you have fears of heights etc, feel free to puke in the bag...............
-Ensure you know where safety material is, just incase..... Sorry if I scared you there >_<
-If you get an aisle seat in the back... Goodluck... The toilet is right there, and,well, not everyone has a delightful smelling posterior...(personal experience)
-Try to get off the plane quickly. But carefully. There's gonna be alot of rush to get through immigration quickly..
-Just enjoy the ride. If you feel a slight turnulence in the flight, don't panic. You're just passing through clouds.
Hope my tips helped you! Goodluck!

Thanks for this. :)

LiquidLuck.
25-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I went in business class to London and we got like double orange juice, double bread THAT HAD JUST BEEN HEATED, got way more space. Apart from that, it's pretty much the same ''I hope I don't die'' feeling. LOL Having said this, only the getting off the ground and back on is scary.

Zak
26-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Yes I have flew business class when I was younger. :P

I am off to Turkey on the 7th of June so I will be in the same boat as you :)

Ekelektra
27-05-2013, 06:35 AM
I don't know if this one's been mentioned but when I went on my first overseas flight last year I didn't realise you couldn't take water through security. I bought one like 20 minutes before going through security because I would need water to swallow my motion sickness pills but then when they scanned my bag they took it out and had to chuck it.
Although on the other side once they'd stamped your passport and things there were drink taps and a bathroom where all of my friends who knew you couldn't take water filled their empty bottles up.

Also don't be nervous! I was so, so scared last year but after that first flight I was totally fine. Aeroplanes are a very safe way of travelling!

Aiden
27-05-2013, 10:44 PM

^ if you see this guy, leave the plane asap.

Daltron
28-05-2013, 11:47 PM
I have never flown since I was a baby and will be soon I think, this thread has been very useful to read :)

Jarkie
26-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Today is the day I go flying for the first time. Just want to say a huge thank you to all that posted, it has put my mind at ease.

See you all soon. :)

e5
26-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Best of luck jarkie! You'll enjoy it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!