PDA

View Full Version : How can I motivate myself to revise? +rep

lemons
04-06-2013, 02:34 PM
I have 2 GCSE exams left and I can't seem to motivate myself to revise? Any advice?

:Sick:

Cerys
04-06-2013, 02:45 PM
i have not revised in my life so im probs not the best person to listen to ok

id probably be like, if I do 10 mins of revision i can have a chocolate bar yumyum.

just bribe yourself with food

what gcse's have you got left??

lemons
04-06-2013, 02:47 PM

id probably be like, if I do 10 mins of revision i can have a chocolate bar yumyum.

bribe yourself with food? that's rich coming from someone who never eats!! :)

I have geography and statistics left

Cerys
04-06-2013, 02:53 PM
bribe yourself with food? that's rich coming from someone who never eats!! :)

I have geography and statistics left

w0t. who said i never eat ;/ im sat here eating soup tyvm

+ oo goodluck. geography was realllyy easy last year so i hope its the same for you

lemons
04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
w0t. who said i never eat ;/

your weight :P

+ oo goodluck. geography was realllyy easy last year so i hope its the same for you

thx :)

Cerys
04-06-2013, 02:56 PM
your weight :P

thx :)

if i never ate
my weight would be:dead silly turnip

+ yw ;3 hope you manage to revisee

Yawn
04-06-2013, 03:01 PM
imagine the moment ur dad starts beating u with a slipper when u fail the exam cos u not revised

lemons
04-06-2013, 03:04 PM
imagine the moment ur dad starts beating u with a slipper when u fail the exam cos u not revised

shivers

Matthew
04-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I find it really hard to revise too..

barely revised for GCSE (thankfully I did well enough) but for A levels really my motivation is just thinking for the future.

I researched what results I need for preferred courses and stuff and that's really making me put my head down and work as I've realised that if I don't, I won't make it :O

I suppose its different for GCSE but oh well :P

dbgtz
04-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I was a bit like Matts in that I didn't revise at all for GCSE compared to A levels. The thing that got me to revise is basically looking at what I needed and honestly judging if I could reach that or not. In a sense, having a clear target made me more inclined which I knew I wasn't reaching helped me to revise.

Though the best thing would be just to get away from distraction and/or split it into smaller chunks so that you're not spending massive amounts of time on one subject which will just make you feel fatigued.

Amberr
04-06-2013, 06:40 PM

what? I swear you always brag about how you get straight A's all the time. How do you not revise beforehand? I thought you starved yourself as well?

O/T I'm awful at making myself motivated but I just try to take regular breaks. I normally aim to do about half an hour/three quarters of an hour then i'll reward myself with having 10 minutes of doing nothing then just continue until I feel brain dead and go and watch real housewives of Atlanta on itvplayer. Works for me at the moment.

Cerys
04-06-2013, 07:35 PM
what? I swear you always brag about how you get straight A's all the time. How do you not revise beforehand? I thought you starved yourself as well?

O/T I'm awful at making myself motivated but I just try to take regular breaks. I normally aim to do about half an hour/three quarters of an hour then i'll reward myself with having 10 minutes of doing nothing then just continue until I feel brain dead and go and watch real housewives of Atlanta on itvplayer. Works for me at the moment.

ew no I don't get straight A's
like in mocks i sometimes do but no. in my gcses so far i dont have an A.
c in german and b in geog

never seen the point in revision tbh

Chippiewill
04-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I go into school to do revision. Works every time.

Soy
04-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Just look at the members on here like that Jesus guy.

Do you really want to be in your mid twenties spending the best years of your life on a forum based for teenagers?

Think about it.

Mr-Trainor
05-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Similar to what others have said, the first time I ever revised was at GCSEs and that was literally just maybe an hour the night before the exam. Moving in to A Levels I've seen that revising is a lot more important etc. However, I so still find it hard to motivate myself to revise. Yesterday I only did an hour of revision when I should be doing at least a few hours a day. I guess just imagine what would happen if you didn't get the grades you need, for me that'd be not getting in to uni - for you that could be not getting in to college depending on what your plans are for after GCSEs. Just think, what grade do you need - and if you sat the exam right now, would grade would you get?

Amberr
05-06-2013, 03:13 AM
ew no I don't get straight A's
like in mocks i sometimes do but no. in my gcses so far i dont have an A.
c in german and b in geog

never seen the point in revision tbh

To be honest. The only revision I really did at GCSE was on the English literature exam which I got an A in. The rest I just sort of blagged my way through and ended up with B/C's. At a-level the first exams I did were not great and that's when I realised that I really need to start properly revising. Basically you will realise how important revision is when you get to a-level. It bloody sucks ass.

Matt
05-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I am 100% hopeless at revising and I don't actually know what it is. I've tried so many times to revise and I fail every time. I tried an app recommended by my mates where it blocks all your distracting websites, in my case facebook, habbo, hx/f, etc. This way I still have access to the internet to do research or search things but if i ever go to type in facebook it blocks it until i turn off the app. And i know you could just turn off the app and get on them but the one i found had a limit of 30mins after deactivating it to get back online to your sites. Although it's more of an incentive to get back on the sites and not motivation, it might help?

Cerys
05-06-2013, 12:53 PM
To be honest. The only revision I really did at GCSE was on the English literature exam which I got an A in. The rest I just sort of blagged my way through and ended up with B/C's. At a-level the first exams I did were not great and that's when I realised that I really need to start properly revising. Basically you will realise how important revision is when you get to a-level. It bloody sucks ass.

Yeah.
I guess GCSEs aren't THAT important either. But A-Levels actually begin to matter so work is needed. Can't wait.. ;/

Zak
05-06-2013, 01:06 PM
I didn't revise for my GCSEs. Just get a useful higher qualification like a degree then they won't even take a glance at your GCSEs.

Yeah.
I guess GCSEs aren't THAT important either. But A-Levels actually begin to matter so work is needed. Can't wait.. ;/

The only qualifications that seem to matter (as long as it's useful to the job you're applying for) is your highest qualification. So do A level's aren't too important if you do a degree - if you don't do a degree then they are very important :P

Most good jobs today require a degree - chances are they won't even look at your A levels

EDIT: Oh you may find this interesting but you used to get a book in English to which you would have to write about one of the stories (or poems I forget) in that book. Cut a long story short - I didn't go to English (I was excluded at the beginning of year 11) and the story I wrote about wasn't even in the book we were given. It was for another school and I got a B. Proving English at GCSE level is a load of RUBBISH.

Cerys
05-06-2013, 02:36 PM
I didn't revise for my GCSEs. Just get a useful higher qualification like a degree then they won't even take a glance at your GCSEs.

The only qualifications that seem to matter (as long as it's useful to the job you're applying for) is your highest qualification. So do A level's aren't too important if you do a degree - if you don't do a degree then they are very important :P

Most good jobs today require a degree - chances are they won't even look at your A levels

EDIT: Oh you may find this interesting but you used to get a book in English to which you would have to write about one of the stories (or poems I forget) in that book. Cut a long story short - I didn't go to English (I was excluded at the beginning of year 11) and the story I wrote about wasn't even in the book we were given. It was for another school and I got a B. Proving English at GCSE level is a load of RUBBISH.

Well, what I mean by important is how they actually make a difference. A-Levels are important though as without them you can't get into Uni. Or you can't get a decent job etc.

All GCSEs really do is get you into college, but for me I don't need to 'get in' to it.

Empired
05-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Make revision cards and stick them EVERYWHERE. If you're a neat freak like me, this is great because I made all my revision cards look all pretty and wrote in different colours for different things. Then just stick them all over the house in places where you'll read them by accident.

For example,
I have a little bit of everything on my bedrooms walls
Maths in the downstairs bathroom
Physics in the upstairs bathroom
Chemistry at one end of the landing
Biology at the other end
Spanish stuck just behind + above the TV so I can revise during adverts.
Etc

It really helps me xo

Zak
05-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Well, what I mean by important is how they actually make a difference. A-Levels are important though as without them you can't get into Uni. Or you can't get a decent job etc.

All GCSEs really do is get you into college, but for me I don't need to 'get in' to it.

Yeah GCSEs get you into college, A levels get you into university. :P Tbh a lot of degrees are pointless at university now - and they're making the degrees themselves easier imo. :(

noddy
16-06-2013, 09:24 AM
I have one last maths A-level exam, and have totally lost motivation to revise :l

Mr-Trainor
16-06-2013, 03:55 PM
I have one last maths A-level exam, and have totally lost motivation to revise :l
Only two days to go, may as well put the work in for today and tomorrow and then by Tuesday afternoon it'll all be over and you can do what you want :D. If you don't work now, come Tuesday you might regret it.

Lol this is what I'm currently thinking anyway :P.

noddy
16-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Only two days to go, may as well put the work in for today and tomorrow and then by Tuesday afternoon it'll all be over and you can do what you want :D. If you don't work now, come Tuesday you might regret it.

Lol this is what I'm currently thinking anyway :P.

yes! i started thinking that today and have done quite a lot today already haha

Mr-Trainor
16-06-2013, 05:45 PM
yes! i started thinking that today and have done quite a lot today already haha
Samee :P. Just waiting for another past paper to print atm. Can't wait to be over with all this :(.

noddy
16-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Samee :P. Just waiting for another past paper to print atm. Can't wait to be over with all this :(.

me too good luck!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!