PDA

View Full Version : Homosexuality in Private Schools

Daltron
07-07-2013, 02:52 AM
I came across an article today which talked about changing the law in Australia regarding educational student dismissal. Although most members here are from the UK I am sure there are similar concepts with your law and private education system.

Currently under our anti-discrimination laws it's unlawful for a school to expel someone on the basis of their sexuality but private schools are exempt from this law and are one of the few exceptions, the other being religious based school with semi private funding.

There seems to be a lot of talk here because private schools still receive some level of government funding which comes from taxpayers.

Do you think that private schools should have the right to mould and develop strict views about things like this since it is all heavily funded by parents and it's what they are comfortable with? And if someone goes against these almost paid for morals should the school have the right to dismiss a student? Because our law says it's okay for students in private institutions to be dismissed but morally I would think every 9 in 10 people would be shocked it's allowable.

I'm personally torn, if parents want to pay for their children to be educated in a certain way then go for their lives, but I am totally against any sort of tax payer funding being injected into it. I can also see how hard this would be for a teenager who's gay in the private system being pushed out. Then again I went through the public system my entire high school time so maybe don't have a great view of it all. What are your thoughts to the issue/ bolded questions?

Inspiration: https://www.facebook.com/KeepCalmAbbottisnotPM/posts/677944322231606

Negativities
07-07-2013, 06:30 AM
I would be able to debate this a lot better if this was about the US, but unfortunately, I am not familiar with the rights that Australians are born with.

I will state the following:

If it's a private school that is heavily funded by the parents of the students, I believe they have a right to vote on whether they shall allow students to be allowed admission based on specific things like racial orientation, sex preferences and etc. There are public school and other schools the child should be able to attend. Also, a school that is willing to dismiss a student based on such orientation should receive such a lower reputation around the community that will convince such actions to be dismissed.

Personally, private schools should have the right to make such actions possible since it's heavily funded by the parents of the students, but a lack of students can cause a higher tuition for students to just enroll.

So there are a lot of pros and cons to this situation.

Cerys
07-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Surely this goes against our rights?
They can't tell us who to be. Yes, we're paying them, but if everyone who we paid could tell us how to live, how to feel etc, then surely gas companies will be soon running around saying you can't wear yellow socks on tuesdays. Can they do this? Yes because we pay them..

Idk if this makes sense, but the people we pay can't tell us what to do with our lives!

beth
07-07-2013, 12:54 PM
this is the kind of movement and behaviour that encourages people to hide their sexuality and individuality and allows the development of mental illness and anxiety.

nowhere (regardless of what or who they are) should have the right to dismiss anybody on grounds of what i believe is a biological thing. similiar to race.

Empired
07-07-2013, 01:02 PM
this is the kind of movement and behaviour that encourages people to hide their sexuality and individuality and allows the development of mental illness and anxiety.

nowhere (regardless of what or who they are) should have the right to dismiss anybody on grounds of what i believe is a biological thing. similiar to race.
I agree with this.

I can't really put into words how stupid this is. Just because you pay for something doesn't mean you can have everything you want. If this happened anywhere else it would be classed as discrimination or harrassment. For example, I pay for a gym membership. If I didn't want asian people using the gym, does that mean they shouldn't be allowed to come in? Because I pay for membership?

Yawn
07-07-2013, 04:31 PM
wat about the gay person whose parents pay for their tuition. they could say HEY I WANT ALL STR8 PPL EXPELLED

dumb

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!