PDA

View Full Version : Should teenage mothers have their benefits removed and/or restricted?

-:Undertaker:-
18-07-2013, 02:56 AM
Should teenage mothers have their benefits removed and/or restricted?

http://www.welovebristol.com/thumbnails//2011/02/vicky_pollard_and_kids.jpg

The so-called '40 Group' of Tory MPs are urging the Prime Minister, David Cameron, to bring in tougher conditions on housing benefit for teenage mothers. The group has claimed that the present system whereby free housing is provided by the council upon a child being born simply encourages young teenage women to have children as a way to climb the benefits ladder and that in order to sort out this creeping welfarism - the government ought to be tough and start restricting certain benefits such as automatic free housing. The full report, backed by Tory MPs in marginal seats, is being seen as a masterplan for the 2015 Conservative manifesto and as an attempt to fend off Nigel Farage's UKIP - the full report and it's other policy recommendations can be seen here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23309095

So what do you think? should teenage mothers have their benefits docked or restricted or are the government unfairly treating the most 'vunerable' and worst off in society simply to score political points? and are the Conservative Party serious about solving this problem? (if you view it as a problem that is)

There are plenty of nifty prizes to be won within this forum. Positive contributions towards official debates will sometimes be rewarded with a month's VIP subscription in a colour of your choice as part of the Top Contributor award. As well as this, reputation will be awarded throughout the debate to those who make valid and constructive posts. Those who make the best contributions within a month win the Debater of the Month award and wins themselves a month's worth of forum VIP and 10 reputation points. Finally, those who create debate topics that generate a lot of buzz and engaging discussion will receive 20 reputation points.

The debate is open to you and many thanks to Marketing for suggesting this topic for debate.

Daltron
18-07-2013, 04:46 AM
We have a similar situation here in Australia, where as welfare payments for teen mothers are significantly higher than those without children and it actually encourages teenage girls in low socio economic areas to pump out babies so they can get the payments.

Personally I don't think they should have any sort of payment or housing restricted because once they are in the situation of having a child there is not much they can do unless they want to give it away. I think the central problem is educating these women into what they are setting themselves up for in the long term. If a teenage girl wants to have a child and is fully aware of the restrictions this will place on the next 10-15 years of her life then kudos to her and she should go for it if she wants, but I think so many women don't understand the long term picture. Rather than the government saying they will enhance or cut these payments in your country, I think they should (although they never would because it would probably not gain a whole lot of votes) create compulsory educational programs through school systems which focus on the positives and negatives of having a child and.

Maybe an appropriate solution would be for the government to set a national bench mark in which when the socio economic status of an area is below point x, all schools in that zone must run a 2 week program z where all students must participate.

I don't know much about your political parties being in Australia, however my short answer to this is the government should not cut funding or resources to teen mums, but make everyone much more aware of the strains these sort of decisions place on individuals and show that usually prolonging the set up of a family is more beneficial for a stage in life when someone has a well determined career path and stable income which won't cost tax payers money.

Aiden
18-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Well, if it was up to me I'd kill 4 billion people for the good of the planet but it's not going to happen... and people tend to find this weird... lol wut?

anyway

i think they should just keep it normal unless everyone else's change...

iMattster
01-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Yes. They reproduce to get the money then treat the kids like dirt. End it.

Explorator
03-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Quite honestly in Britain these teenage women with kids don't spend any of the benefit on the kids. They give the kids the food they need, leave the child with the grandparents then go out and spend the benefit money on some cigarettes.

I think something should be put into order about this:

1) The benefit money hasto be spend on the child, not the mother and the mother has to record all purchases spent on the child.

2) If the benefit money is being wasted (social worker investigations) remove the payments and possibly take the child in care due to mistreatment.

Also, too much benefit money is being given out.

I live in Blackpool, probably one of the poorest areas in Britain, my family does not claim benefits and we generally live in a nice area.

The school I go to, we have kids walking around with new phones and stupid expensive items like that flashing them to everyone. If somebody was to ask where they got it from I am sure 40 - 50% of them would openly say

"My dad got £400 health benefit the other week and he got me a phone"

That example has actually occurred to me a few times with some friends I have.

Child benefits need to be cut for mothers that waste the money and benefits in general need to have a good amount cut off them.

Jack!
05-08-2013, 10:07 PM
I think the system can be abused far to easily, I know someone that once they give birth, a year later they are pregnant again, Think she's on her 7th now? I can't keep track and she does obviously abuse the system as she hates work.

However on the other hand, without it my mum would of really struggled (Single Parent) I am the only child, yet things were really hard, and we did have to go without, I often recall not being able to go on school trips and things, simply because we couldn't afford it, the benefits we got were small, and in all honesty I don't know how anyone could live off them, my mum was working her hardest doing as many hours at work as she could, but it was still really hard, and the money we got from benefits was what paid for food to be on the table, the money from work paid for the roof over our heads and the heating.

I think there defiantly needs to be an improved system, I agree that having more kids you (obviously) need more money, however I think the amount should be limited at set up as one amount for X amount of children, instead of the current amount per child.

I.E;

1 Child = £100
2 Children = £160
3 Children = £250

etc etc.

Catchy
06-08-2013, 01:55 AM
First of all, the teen pregnancy rate in the UK is at it's lowest since 1969. The conception rate in the UK has increased though due to a lot more women in their 30's and 40's having babies. Back to the question anyway, should benefits be cut? The simple answer is no, whilst there will be some who abuse the system the overwhelming majority imo should be entitled to these benefits. Teenage pregnancy is 8 times more common in young women who come from routine or manual backgrounds than those from professional backgrounds, it's easy to blame it on the girl or her family but other factors have to be considered here. Education, upbringing even ethnicity (certain ethnic groups are more prone to teenage pregnancy). Cutting benefits imo is not the solution to combat teen pregnancy, "they get pregnant because they want a house" is the most ridiculous statement I've heard... Many of these young mums are scared as hell and should receive support instead of articles like this which stigmatise every single teenage parent. Should we stop all benefits because people abuse the system? Should we stop the tax system because people abuse that too? No. There's always going to be people who think they can cheat the system, but in the end I don't believe it should be generalized to everyone because it's simply not the case and it isn't black and white. From working on a maternity ward I've seen it all, you get these teenage mums who have so many social issues it's unreal, many of you wouldn't even be able to comprehend with some of the things that these teenagers have gone through/going through. Support needs to be in place for these women, education needs to be in place! Attitudes need to change.

Also Shar; excited to see your response to this debate

06-08-2013, 03:11 PM
The simple answer is no, whilst there will be some who abuse the system the overwhelming majority imo should be entitled to these benefits. Teenage pregnancy is 8 times more common in young women who come from routine or manual backgrounds than those from professional backgrounds, it's easy to blame it on the girl or her family but other factors have to be considered here. Education, upbringing even ethnicity (certain ethnic groups are more prone to teenage pregnancy).

Why should hard working taxpayers, many of whom have children themselves and who struggle to pay day-to-day bills, be forced to pay for the care of moronic and stupid teenage girls & their offspring who couldn't keep their legs shut?

What happens when you reward stupid and reckless behaviour? you get more of it.

Catchy
06-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Why should hard working taxpayers, many of whom have children themselves and who struggle to pay day-to-day bills, be forced to pay for the care of moronic and stupid teenage girls & their offspring who couldn't keep their legs shut?

You've drained me too much I can't even argue with you anymore lol. They're not moronic though, you obviously can't comprehend the situations some of these girls are in. It's a vicious cycle and people like you stigmatising and judging isn't gonna help the solution. Get off your high horse for once lol.

Why should I pay tax which goes towards disability benefits, it's not my fault they're disabled and require the benefit and it's not my problem... I shouldn't be paying for it. < that's sort of what your attitudes like. Anyways god help these hard working tax payers, if they're ever in need of any benefits... Hopefully they will still be available though but then again mb they will be too ashamed to go on them :OOOOOOO

anyways like i said not replying cos i'm bored of you

06-08-2013, 06:23 PM
You've drained me too much I can't even argue with you anymore lol. They're not moronic though, you obviously can't comprehend the situations some of these girls are in. It's a vicious cycle and people like you stigmatising and judging isn't gonna help the solution. Get off your high horse for once lol.

Why should I pay tax which goes towards disability benefits, it's not my fault they're disabled and require the benefit and it's not my problem... I shouldn't be paying for it. < that's sort of what your attitudes like. Anyways god help these hard working tax payers, if they're ever in need of any benefits... Hopefully they will still be available though but then again mb they will be too ashamed to go on them :OOOOOOO

anyways like i said not replying cos i'm bored of you

Did you really just compare disabled people who need benefits with silly teenage girls who can't keep their legs shut? wow, just wow. The benefits system was set up as a system for decent people to rely on when they lost their job/became incapable of work through no fault of their own - it was not intended to serve as a father figure in terms of income to teenage ***** and their offspring.

Catchy
06-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Did you really just compare disabled people who need benefits with silly teenage girls who can't keep their legs shut? wow, just wow.

lmao as if you have the audacity to criticise my comparisons when yours are just as bizarre!

06-08-2013, 06:29 PM
lmao as if you have the audacity to criticise my comparisons when yours are just as bizarre!

Depends what's being compared in regards to a principle and in what context.

But you still haven't answered me - how is it at all justified that hard working taxpayers, many of whom have children themselves, are forced to pay for the recklessness of others? you aren't forced or required to have sex as a teenager, nor are you forced to fall pregnant.

So why should decent people who work be forced by the state to pay for the mistakes of others? defend that one.

Catchy
06-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Depends what's being compared in regards to a principle and in what context.

But you still haven't answered me - how is it at all justified that hard working taxpayers, many of whom have children themselves, are forced to pay for the recklessness of others? you aren't forced or required to have sex as a teenager, nor are you forced to fall pregnant.

So why should decent people who work be forced by the state to pay for the mistakes of others? defend that one.

There's plenty of 'decent' teenage mums out there, you're splitting them into two groups here aren't you? The hard working decent tax payers and the scrounging teenage mothers, with their quinny prams with a heap full of shopping hanging off. Like I said in my first post, there will always be people who abuse the system but why are you making out every single pregnant teenager is the same? They're not, I know plenty who do work and do their best to support their child with little help off the government. Now correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm going to make an assumption that you yourself, do not personally know any teenage mums? Because by the sounds of it you're way too judgemental over them. Pregnancy can actually be accidental, did you know that? Pregnancy can also happen if a girl is raped, did you know that? It's not JUST the girls fault and it's as much as the boys fault as it is the girls, you're pinning this all on teenage mothers. I don't see you pinning the blame on any of the boys? Why aren't they equally responsible? A lack of family support also leads teenage parents to rely on government money, it's not easy raising a child.

You need to realise mistakes happen in life, nobodies perfect and nor should we expect them to be. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it wrong and it certainly doesn't make the person an idiotic waste of oxygen which is what you're basically implying.

Back to your question, why shouldn't we support teenage mothers financially? What if you were to have a daughter who (GOD FORBID) ended up pregnant at the age of 15? You'd discourage her in claiming benefits if she needed to? Hypothetically speaking, if you couldn't afford to support her and the baby. I'm not a bigot and I don't mind paying tax for something which is helping support the ones who need it. There's no way to filter out the ones who will just abuse the system though, likewise with many other benefits. What are we meant to do with them? Leave them and their baby to starve to death? See them homeless? That's just creating far more problems and taxes will go on other services for them anyway if that were the case... Anyway I really don't know what the hell you're moaning about, I'm sure most taxes go on state pensions anyway...

Catchy
06-08-2013, 07:03 PM
@Tokyo (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=103520); it wouldn't let me edit my original post, sorry for double post mods

Quite honestly in Britain these teenage women with kids don't spend any of the benefit on the kids. They give the kids the food they need, leave the child with the grandparents then go out and spend the benefit money on some cigarettes.

I think something should be put into order about this:

1) The benefit money hasto be spend on the child, not the mother and the mother has to record all purchases spent on the child.

2) If the benefit money is being wasted (social worker investigations) remove the payments and possibly take the child in care due to mistreatment.

Also, too much benefit money is being given out.

I live in Blackpool, probably one of the poorest areas in Britain, my family does not claim benefits and we generally live in a nice area.

The school I go to, we have kids walking around with new phones and stupid expensive items like that flashing them to everyone. If somebody was to ask where they got it from I am sure 40 - 50% of them would openly say

"My dad got £400 health benefit the other week and he got me a phone"

That example has actually occurred to me a few times with some friends I have.

Child benefits need to be cut for mothers that waste the money and benefits in general need to have a good amount cut off them.I've just read your post properly and you're almost as ridiculous as the all mighty undertaker. In response to your points.

1. Are you freaking serious? This isn't job seekers allowance lol... A record of purchases would NEVER work. Plus all teenage mums are dishonest, idiotic silly girls according to undertaker... So there's nothing to stop people lying. Having to prove what you've spent money on seems more like an interrogation than any means of support.

2. Your second comment isn't even really worth commenting on because it's the most bizarre idea I've heard all day. Social worker taking the children into care? Just because money isn't 100% spent on the child doesn't make that mother a bad mother. You do know that? Right?

3. Need to be cut, you're going on like they get a lot of money when in comparison to having a full time career it's peanuts really. Plus do you know how expensive it actually is to raise a child? Like I said to undertaker, it's difficult to filter out the ones who abuse it and the ones who don't.

and the rest, I don't really give a toss about your life story lol.

Zak
07-08-2013, 09:22 AM

All my office agreed with what you put. Why do we work our arses off to pay for the "moronic and stupid teenage girls & their offspring who couldn't keep their legs shut". As you put it :P

My total deductions per month reach over £500 paying tax, NI and pension scheme.

Catchy
07-08-2013, 01:13 PM
All my office agreed with what you put. Why do we work our arses off to pay for the "moronic and stupid teenage girls & their offspring who couldn't keep their legs shut". As you put it :P

My total deductions per month reach over £500 paying tax, NI and pension scheme.

What do you suppose they do then? Suffer with no support? Which like I said, will most likely create more problems than it's worth. Most of your taxes don't even go towards them as it is anyway...

Matthew
07-08-2013, 02:25 PM
What do you suppose they do then? Suffer with no support? Which like I said, will most likely create more problems than it's worth. Most of your taxes don't even go towards them as it is anyway...

Well if they're going to suffer for it, why did they have the child?

Catchy
07-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Well if they're going to suffer for it, why did they have the child?

Because Matts, life isn't quite as simple as people are making it out to be. Do you think most teenage pregnancies are planned? Of course they're not. These girls shouldn't be punished for being undereducated and vulnerable!

Also do none of you realise that if their benefits were to be cut/stopped. Your taxes would still go towards their healthcare anyway.

Matthew
07-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Because Matts, life isn't quite as simple as people are making it out to be. Do you think most teenage pregnancies are planned? Of course they're not. These girls shouldn't be punished for being undereducated and vulnerable!

Also do none of you realise that if their benefits were to be cut/stopped. Your taxes would still go towards their healthcare anyway.

well imo if people don't take measures to prevent pregnancy, then they should take responsibility for it if/when it happens!

There's not planning to get pregnant and then there's actually stopping/preventing it from happening.

Catchy
07-08-2013, 03:15 PM
well imo if people don't take measures to prevent pregnancy, then they should take responsibility for it if/when it happens!

There's not planning to get pregnant and then there's actually stopping/preventing it from happening.

And who's saying they don't take responsibility for it? You're making out like the majority of them are terrible mothers which they're not.

Matthew
07-08-2013, 03:25 PM
And who's saying they don't take responsibility for it? You're making out like the majority of them are terrible mothers which they're not.

Well clearly if someone can't afford to have a child but has one anyway then there's no way that they'll be taking full responsibility for it..

We're onto the debate that we had a few months/years ago iirc, something like "should people who can't afford a child be stopped from having one" or something, I can't remember.

I'm not saying that they're bad mothers or anything like that, idk. I just think that more emphasis needs to be placed on teaching these people just how expensive a child is. IMO people shouldn't have a child until they're in a good enough position financially (or the best position that they can be in) to support it and surely that time is not when they're a teenager!

Zak
07-08-2013, 03:27 PM

No you're right it's harsh but a lot of working people in the UK are sick and tired when they work full-time and struggle to pay for their children and have to plan when to have them because of their financial situation.

Then you get a bunch of nobodies who've never done **** all, get pregnant because they're ******* stupid at age 14? 15? 16? 17?.. Get a free council house and if the house is a new build they have the ability to buy that house in 3 years for a fraction of the cost.

Unfair I think so!

There are exceptions but I think majority take advance because it's so easy to do and the government will support them no matter what.

Catchy
07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
No you're right it's harsh but a lot of working people in the UK are sick and tired when they work full-time and struggle to pay for their children and have to plan when to have them because of their financial situation.

Then you get a bunch of nobodies who've never done **** all, get pregnant because they're ******* stupid at age 14? 15? 16? 17?.. Get a free council house and if the house is a new build they have the ability to buy that house in 3 years for a fraction of the cost.

Unfair I think so!

There are exceptions but I think majority take advance because it's so easy to do and the government will support them no matter what.

Unfair? I can safely say I'd never want to live in a council house or on a council estate so I don't see how it's unfair lol, it's not really something to be jealous about. Okay so we wont give them any support, just leave them cramped into their family home 'cause that'll be a really great upbringing wont it? The VAST MAJORITY do not get pregnant because they want a free council house lol. I'll refer to my first post anyway, teenage pregnancy is at it's lowest since 1969 so something must be going right and I do hope it continues to fall.

What do you think we should do with them Zak; I'm curious to hear? Ship them off to an asylum? And most of your taxes do not even contribute to this issue, it'll be a tiny tiny percentage.

FlyingJesus
07-08-2013, 04:08 PM

That's because there are a hell of a lot of people who are massively ignorant of where tax money actually goes and how the system works, so instead of learning they just complain. 47% of the entire benefits system (monetarily) is spent on state pensions. Housing benefit is high up on the list but is absolutely not dominated by teens mums (most of whom in my experience either live with their parents while they save up or have reduced cost - but certainly not free - council housing) at nearly 5 times less than state pension funding. I'm not a fan of huge state spending but I think it's important for critics to actually have their facts right rather than spewing a bunch of pub-nonsense

As for shaming all teen parents as stupid and telling them to "close their legs" it's clear that a lot of people here are just looking at who gets put on the TV. Of course they'll show the crap parents with no teeth who've spent more time on Jeremy Kyle than in a book, that's more interesting to see than my friend who is a working single mother who completely dotes upon her toddler and has never set a foot wrong or put in a claim she didn't need, or another who gave up his league football dreams to do a college course when he found out his girlfriend was pregnant so that he could get a decent job because he loves his son more than himself. Those people aren't interviewed because they aren't as sensational and don't stick out, but supposedly doing your best for a child you love and want is being a stupid ****

myles
07-08-2013, 04:15 PM
u mean chavs??
yes

MKR&*42
07-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Restricted to an extent yes, although it's still enough that they can actually survive on. They get far too much stigma attached to them than necessary (as almost everyone has already said...) - in my personal experience I've come across a few at my college who still manage to balance full-time education, a child and don't go around looking or acting like a ****.

I actually don't have much to add but I think people are so quick to point the blame at all teenage mothers when quite a few are PERFECTLY capable of managing and don't leech off the benefits system like people seem to think.

Catchy
07-08-2013, 04:42 PM
That's because there are a hell of a lot of people who are massively ignorant of where tax money actually goes and how the system works, so instead of learning they just complain. 47% of the entire benefits system (monetarily) is spent on state pensions. Housing benefit is high up on the list but is absolutely not dominated by teens mums (most of whom in my experience either live with their parents while they save up or have reduced cost - but certainly not free - council housing) at nearly 5 times less than state pension funding. I'm not a fan of huge state spending but I think it's important for critics to actually have their facts right rather than spewing a bunch of pub-nonsense

As for shaming all teen parents as stupid and telling them to "close their legs" it's clear that a lot of people here are just looking at who gets put on the TV. Of course they'll show the crap parents with no teeth who've spent more time on Jeremy Kyle than in a book, that's more interesting to see than my friend who is a working single mother who completely dotes upon her toddler and has never set a foot wrong or put in a claim she didn't need, or another who gave up his league football dreams to do a college course when he found out his girlfriend was pregnant so that he could get a decent job because he loves his son more than himself. Those people aren't interviewed because they aren't as sensational and don't stick out, but supposedly doing your best for a child you love and want is being a stupid ****

FINALLY somebody who is actually speaking sense. Some ppl just love to have controversial opinions on purpose... @-:Undertaker:- (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=24233);

http://cdn.theweek.co.uk/sites/theweek/files/katie-hopkins.jpg

Zak
07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Unfair? I can safely say I'd never want to live in a council house or on a council estate so I don't see how it's unfair lol, it's not really something to be jealous about. Okay so we wont give them any support, just leave them cramped into their family home 'cause that'll be a really great upbringing wont it? The VAST MAJORITY do not get pregnant because they want a free council house lol. I'll refer to my first post anyway, teenage pregnancy is at it's lowest since 1969 so something must be going right and I do hope it continues to fall.

What do you think we should do with them @Zak (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=33322); I'm curious to hear? Ship them off to an asylum? And most of your taxes do not even contribute to this issue, it'll be a tiny tiny percentage.

I'm sure STD rates are through the roof and people are having sex more often and at younger and younger ages. I think condoms and abortions may have a lot to do with the low numbers but it's not something I've looked into. A lot of council estates are quite nice around my area and seeing a lot of these has indeed made me jealous of where they live! I do hope as you said that teenage pregnancy does continue to fall yes :).

And on the other part.. I'm sure a lot of countries in the world wouldn't help people like this and personally I don't think why we should either. Again there are special cases which should be looked at - all cases should be reviewed imo but it's their own fault if they have no qualifications and can't afford the bills.

I believe whole-heartedly in abortion so in my eyes she should have had an abortion. My friend who isn't a stupid **** either had a baby at 19 because there was quite a big chance she wouldn't be able to conceive later in life (I forget the name of her condition) as I said of course this isn't true for everyone. A lot of people in my area are the stupid idiots which is probably why I think the way I do.. and a lot of ****heads I know from school have done this too.. which again is probably why I'm so sour in the first place :P

These debates are good. I am very harsh yes but this is the way I was brought up.. please bare this in mind :D (I'm not trying to be nasty, just voice my own opinion)

FlyingJesus
07-08-2013, 06:10 PM
As always, opinions are not opinions if they're provably wrong. Also who's the "she" that should have had an abortion?

Catchy
07-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I have nothing else to add really otherwise it's just gonna go around in circles. Agree to disagree. OH BUT ONE LAST THING, just wanna share this with Zak;

seems the 20-24 age group are the worst culprits for sti's. but that does lead me to wonder how many more younger people there is with STI's but just haven't been diagnosed.

http://i41.tinypic.com/v7sdbp.jpg

Explorator
07-08-2013, 08:12 PM
@Tokyo (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=103520); it wouldn't let me edit my original post, sorry for double post mods

I've just read your post properly and you're almost as ridiculous as the all mighty undertaker. In response to your points.

1. Are you freaking serious? This isn't job seekers allowance lol... A record of purchases would NEVER work. Plus all teenage mums are dishonest, idiotic silly girls according to undertaker... So there's nothing to stop people lying. Having to prove what you've spent money on seems more like an interrogation than any means of support.

2. Your second comment isn't even really worth commenting on because it's the most bizarre idea I've heard all day. Social worker taking the children into care? Just because money isn't 100% spent on the child doesn't make that mother a bad mother. You do know that? Right?

3. Need to be cut, you're going on like they get a lot of money when in comparison to having a full time career it's peanuts really. Plus do you know how expensive it actually is to raise a child? Like I said to undertaker, it's difficult to filter out the ones who abuse it and the ones who don't.

and the rest, I don't really give a toss about your life story lol.

I admit I was rather stupid at the time, some of my ideas wouldn't have made sense reading through them again.

In response to 3:

Basically, in the area I live in, many people choose to live off JSA and Child benefits because you could get more money off them than having an actual job nowerdays. Your rent is payed for and you get £112 a week(or whatever it was).

I do beleive they should be cut, I do understand many people live off of these things though.

I have never raised a kid by myself, I know that would be hard also. Like I mentioned on my first point, possibly make mothers record all of the purchases they spent on the child in the week. It should come a minimal amount for a child's well being.

Also, I understand that you don't care about my life story, but there's no need to be rude.

Edit: Considering the second idea:

I am not saying they should take the kid away if it's not 100% spent on the child, I didn't explain it properly, sorry.

There should be a general boundary to show if the kid is having any money spent on it at all. It would make much more sense recording purchases on some device or machine because the child services would want to know if any money is being spent at all.

I am not saying any do, but I am sure some careless teenage mothers do not spend any of the benefit on the child and buy things for themselves.

Zak
07-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I have nothing else to add really otherwise it's just gonna go around in circles. Agree to disagree. OH BUT ONE LAST THING, just wanna share this with @Zak (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=33322);

seems the 20-24 age group are the worst culprits for sti's. but that does lead me to wonder how many more younger people there is with STI's but just haven't been diagnosed.

http://i41.tinypic.com/v7sdbp.jpg

Yeah that doesn't surprise me. I know of a lot of people who've have STIs.. which makes me think wow if I know this many admitting to a previous STI then how many people are hiding that fact. :P I've been to the GUM clinic numerous times and the woman told me 1 in 10 have clam - not sure on the age range she's talking about there :P

Shar
08-08-2013, 07:43 AM
I can't believe how awfully narrow minded some of these responses are. This is the 21st century guys, girls do not "keep their legs shut" and I'm pretty sure guys are more than happy for them to open up. To put it bluntly so.

First of all, the teen pregnancy rate in the UK is at it's lowest since 1969. The conception rate in the UK has increased though due to a lot more women in their 30's and 40's having babies. Back to the question anyway, should benefits be cut? The simple answer is no, whilst there will be some who abuse the system the overwhelming majority imo should be entitled to these benefits. Teenage pregnancy is 8 times more common in young women who come from routine or manual backgrounds than those from professional backgrounds, it's easy to blame it on the girl or her family but other factors have to be considered here. Education, upbringing even ethnicity (certain ethnic groups are more prone to teenage pregnancy). Cutting benefits imo is not the solution to combat teen pregnancy, "they get pregnant because they want a house" is the most ridiculous statement I've heard... Many of these young mums are scared as hell and should receive support instead of articles like this which stigmatise every single teenage parent. Should we stop all benefits because people abuse the system? Should we stop the tax system because people abuse that too? No. There's always going to be people who think they can cheat the system, but in the end I don't believe it should be generalized to everyone because it's simply not the case and it isn't black and white. From working on a maternity ward I've seen it all, you get these teenage mums who have so many social issues it's unreal, many of you wouldn't even be able to comprehend with some of the things that these teenagers have gone through/going through. Support needs to be in place for these women, education needs to be in place! Attitudes need to change.

Also @Shar (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=67533); excited to see your response to this debate
To be honest Jake, I couldn't have put it better myself. I completely agree with you.

Zak
08-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I can't believe how awfully narrow minded some of these responses are. This is the 21st century guys, girls do not "keep their legs shut" and I'm pretty sure guys are more than happy for them to open up. To put it bluntly so.

To be honest Jake, I couldn't have put it better myself. I completely agree with you.

There are plenty of girls out there who are like that.. I know plenty of them lol

A lot of my friends who go out on the pull will pull each and everytime they go out??

To say everyone is like that is stupid and that's certainly not what I meant....?

I also know of quite a few people who got pregnant to get a house :P So yeh, again it happens but is probably not in the majority. :P I don't know where some of you grew up and what schools you have been to but I think you should have went to school where I lived :P haha

Shar
08-08-2013, 10:13 AM
There are plenty of girls out there who are like that.. I know plenty of them lol

A lot of my friends who go out on the pull will pull each and everytime they go out??

To say everyone is like that is stupid and that's certainly not what I meant....?

I also know of quite a few people who got pregnant to get a house :P So yeh, again it happens but is probably not in the majority. :P I don't know where some of you grew up and what schools you have been to but I think you should have went to school where I lived :P haha
That's fair enough but my point is that older people also do it and no one is highlighting that matter. I think the issue of getting pregnant and benefit abuse is more common with the older demographic rather than the teens. While there is little change in teen pregnancies, there has been an increase in the number of older women having babies.

.P1x13-Dust.
11-08-2013, 01:25 AM
I believe benefits should be restricted. I'm from Georgia and here girls are practically payed to spit out babies. You spit out a kid, you get money for it. The welfare system is notoriously abused over here and it infuriates me. I'm a firm believer in education. These young girls, and boys, need to be educated about unwanted pregnancies and STI's. There are too many free clinics over here to where they can get their hands on protection for intimacy. If their parents or another family member is unwilling to give the talk, there's the doctor or the free clinic. If the benefits are restricted, it'll decrease abuse of the system, and IMO, the lazy attitude some young ladies decide to take on about their situation.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!