PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever 'volunteered' somewhere?

Daltron
19-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Ie: Done some unpaid work for a charity or work experience?

I have never done any unpaid work, but I was thinking about volunteering somewhere so I could maybe have something to put on my CV later when I apply for proper work. Have you had any volunteering experiences to share? :)

buttons
19-07-2013, 01:15 AM
no i would like to but i need ££ altho my bffl volunteered at places b.c she left school with no qualifications so had no other choice n eventually was spotted n got a job :)

Matt
19-07-2013, 02:28 AM
I would love to at some point because it would give me an advantage in an interview seeing as employers are meant to love that kind of stuff. But I haven't volunteered anywhere yet.

AgnesIO
19-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Volunteering isn't just about making you look nice on your CV :l

School in Namibia, children's home in India, local may fayre, stalls at aeroplane shows etc

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Aiden
19-07-2013, 06:33 AM
nope
when i leave school i want 2

Zelda
19-07-2013, 06:39 AM
I have tried getting some quite a bit but it's just a nightmare and impossible cause of stupid kids wanting to do their D of E always getting priority on it. I have had unpaid work experience in one of the local councils for accountancy though

lawrawrrr
19-07-2013, 08:41 AM
worked in a charity shop for 6 months, 3 days a week for 2 3 month periods, then worked in Oxfam bookshop at my uni town twice a week for a year (sometimes extra shifts too)

also done so much work experience to do with teaching :D

I really like doing it but you do get to a stage where you think, is it worth it? It's nice to give something back but it's time that you could be putting towards having a real job. It depends if you have enough time or not really - if you've only got a few hours then volunteering is fine but if you've got longer it might be better to look for a real job.

Working at the bookshop was amazing, apart from the perverted manager (seriously he's in jail now or community service for underage sex) and some of the weird volunteers, but I didn't like the charity shop as well, as you have to sift through old clothes and weird things and sometimes they're not in a very nice condition...

Jazz
19-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Worked at the British Heart Foundation for about a year after my dad had his 1st heart attack
I work at the local radio station for free, but im moving onto the payroll once ive finished all of my training

Cerys
19-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Umm nope.

I've been wanting to volunteer at a dog kennel or an animal shelter for agees but I'm simply not old enough for it yet, unfortunately.

Red
19-07-2013, 11:00 AM
I've been to Uganda twice. Building staff quarters onto a school, panting murals, women's work, bible & sports clubs, visiting orphanages etc Really want to go away again!

Yawn
19-07-2013, 11:03 AM
no but i probs will soonish. its rly important for getting a job after uni!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catchy
19-07-2013, 12:57 PM
volunteered on a postnatal ward (ward where women go after giving birth) for just under a year to get me onto my midwifery degree. Really enjoyed it and got the chance to work with my mum as she's a midwife on there which was well... Interesting! But no voluntary work is amazing and looks really good on your CV.

Also volunteered at a summer camp in romania for 6 weeks about 2 years ago for children which was such an amazing experience and met a great bunch of people!

lucaskf390
19-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I never had this experience. My church has a project about this. I'll try.

--

Milarz
19-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Professional Wrestling & State Emergency Service Rescue.

Phil
19-07-2013, 04:31 PM
I've been to Uganda twice. Building staff quarters onto a school, panting murals, women's work, bible & sports clubs, visiting orphanages etc Really want to go away again!

What do you mean by women's work?

I've volunteered at like stalls and stuff. Also volunteered in a local creche for a month just to get some experience in the field and I volunteered for a big event the RTE was holding in the local town. The RTE are like the Irish BBC (was supposed to tell you guys that story but meh bit late for that :P)

I haven't volunteered anywhere for charity but would really love to go out to Africa or India or somewhere to work with children. I've done loads of fundraising though.

Red
19-07-2013, 04:46 PM
What do you mean by women's work?

I've volunteered at like stalls and stuff. Also volunteered in a local creche for a month just to get some experience in the field and I volunteered for a big event the RTE was holding in the local town. The RTE are like the Irish BBC (was supposed to tell you guys that story but meh bit late for that :P)

I haven't volunteered anywhere for charity but would really love to go out to Africa or India or somewhere to work with children. I've done loads of fundraising though.

THe local women came to the school each day and we taught them needlework, knitting etc.

!x!dude!x!2
19-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I use to volunteer at a Retirement home, then at a YMCA . but i stopped recently. But on my 18th birthday ( next year ) i'll be applying to volunteer at the fire station.

Phil
19-07-2013, 10:41 PM
THe local women came to the school each day and we taught them needlework, knitting etc.

Omg that sounds great :')

beth
19-07-2013, 11:14 PM
yeah done a lot within the local community arts scene but voluntourism really pisses me off and i can see there's a fair few voluntourists in this thread so i won't go into it. cool aiight.

dbgtz
19-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Urrm, I was a Habbo X if that counts :L Else, no. I'm skeptical when it comes to bigger charities & there's no other places to really volunteer or do any relevant work experience.

Shar
20-07-2013, 02:12 AM
I was a volunteer at Oxfam and I also volunteer from time to time at my old primary school.

Empired
20-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I volunteered at a local Guide company to be a Young Leader 7 months ago and I'm still there! It's actually a lot of fun :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!