PDA

View Full Version : Should school uniform be banned?

ToyTruck
13-08-2013, 10:40 PM
In my opinion it shouldn't because someone children can't afford the latest trends of clothing which may lead to bullying as they aren't as fashionable as the other children.

What are your thoughts on this should it be banned or not?

lemons
13-08-2013, 10:44 PM
keep it prevents bullying & keeps everyone equal

SirTezza
13-08-2013, 10:51 PM
When I was at school I did want it to be removed!

But looking at it from an adult perspective brings a whole new range of thoughts.

As you said it helps to stop bullying. If these kids feel pressured to wear different clothes everyday, they'll be screwed. The school will be all about image and those that wear the same outfit twice in a week will be ridiculed. The uniform seriously stops this from happening.

I also believe that school kids should look smart. It's nice when you see them all in their smart uniform, it unites them and shows that they are part of that school.

I would not want uniform to be banned. Keep it!

MylesA.
13-08-2013, 10:53 PM
I think people will get bullied either way. Some people just find new ways to bully each other whether it be clothing or sexual orientation etc. Sad to say, I don't keeping school uniforms is going to change that because it's a universal issue.
However I do think a school should maintain a proper dress code, if I were a parent, I personally wouldn't want my daughter wearing skimpy skirts that send the wrong message. Some people may also wear inappropriate messages on their t-shirt or sweater. For example what if a kid walks into school one day with a nazi symbol on their shirt.
I believe there's a fine line between what people are allowed to wear and what is deemed inappropriate. I say ban it, but maintain an appropriate code of conduct.

AgnesIO
13-08-2013, 10:58 PM
I don't believe many people are bullied because of their fashion sense in clothes - that is just a reason people use to bully. Simply put, if someone wants to be "goth" they will wear bizarre makeup, dye their hair black or something.

At Sixth Form where we could wear any clothing, it was fine - although I would have gladly worn a suit everyday if it was the uniform.

Zak
14-08-2013, 08:56 AM
I think they should keep school uniforms but be relaxed about it. Not punish those everytime they don't wear their tie or something stupid like they used to do at my old school. It does children good to have a bit of discipline and wear a uniform. I can only imagine what some of the goth kids would have came in wearing.. and that attire just wouldn't be accepted in the workplace.

So yeh I'm a pro for school uniforms but not punishing kids everytime they forget their blazer.. or something stupid like that

AgnesIO
15-08-2013, 12:28 AM
I think they should keep school uniforms but be relaxed about it. Not punish those everytime they don't wear their tie or something stupid like they used to do at my old school. It does children good to have a bit of discipline and wear a uniform. I can only imagine what some of the goth kids would have came in wearing.. and that attire just wouldn't be accepted in the workplace.

So yeh I'm a pro for school uniforms but not punishing kids everytime they forget their blazer.. or something stupid like that
Non-uniform days used to be the best days of the year to see what ridiculous outfits the emo/odd kids wear - I'm sure one bought a pirate costume once (and everyone else thought the same...)

Kardan
15-08-2013, 12:30 AM
They should definitely keep school uniform. At my school, Years 7-9 had uniform, and 10-14 didn't. Now they're bringing in uniform for years 10 and 11 (so queue all the parents getting pissed that have to buy uniform for their year 11 children that will only wear it for about 8 months).

I think uniform is a good idea, makes the school look more presentable and definitely helps with bullying.

Sharon
15-08-2013, 01:17 AM
lol well at my school people get competitive at what SHOES people even have so no i don't agree with taking away school uniform as ur always gonna get some who can't afford what the other one can then it'll just bring up the levels of bullying so it's just more trouble than it's worth tbh

even on non uniform days which happen about 4 times a year it turns into some massive ***** fest on who's wearing what lol. if ur dressed nicely then u tried too hard, if u look like u didnt try hard then ur a tramp. you can't win in a messed up country like this one

Samantha
15-08-2013, 01:24 AM
I never minded my uniform, and although my school were pretty strict about it, the rules weren't all that bad surrounding it.

It doesn't matter whether you're in a uniform or not, it's how you wear said uniform that becomes an issue - a lot of people did the short tie technique so we had to have clip on ones, then a fashion trend to wear skirts had started and this one girl you could see too much every time she moved. However, in college we got to wear what we wanted and again it was fine. Even in my school on non uniform days people didn't go on about what you dressed like, the teachers just got annoyed when people left the majority of their supplies in their blazer pockets, so they couldn't do much throughout the day.

I don't think uniforms should be banned, I see no point for them to be, I think they show a unity and you help represent that school. Although, it's easy to track which school someone goes to by the uniform they wear, but at the end of the day it may help to stop bullying a little bit, and even if it's only does it minimally I think it's a job well done.

karter
15-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Agree with what Zak said, keep uniform but don't be so harsh if there are defaulters.

Zak
15-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Non-uniform days used to be the best days of the year to see what ridiculous outfits the emo/odd kids wear - I'm sure one bought a pirate costume once (and everyone else thought the same...)

Lmao. College is bad enough for horrendous attires, I can't imagine if schools scrapped uniforms altogether. :P

AgnesIO
15-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Lmao. College is bad enough for horrendous attires, I can't imagine if schools scrapped uniforms altogether. :P

It would be hilarious, let's be honest haha

Absently
15-08-2013, 12:08 PM
nah, they should never get rid of them. i think if they were, kids would put more pressure on their parents to buy them more clothes so that they don't have to wear the same attire more than once.

Lewis
15-08-2013, 12:17 PM
From the point of view of bullying, made fun of, etc... School uniform should be kept.
But in my own opinion, school uniform should only be for primary school, and high/secondary school should be any clothes.

And since it's different in scotland, it goes: Primary 1-7. Secondary 1-6.

Catchy
15-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Isn't school uniform supposed to create more productive behaviour?

-:Undertaker:-
15-08-2013, 12:39 PM
A lot of authority rests on what is purely symbolic - you'll take a tall old-fashioned Policeman dressed in a smart Police uniform with a baton in his hand much more seriously than a short, thin Police woman wearing a hi-viz jacket and a radio in her hand ... despite both technically having the same authority.

And it's the same way with schools - walking into an intimitating Victorian school building with Gothic features, cast iron railings with dark wooden-panelled halls makes you respect an institution much more than say walking into a terrible 1950s school building (like both my primary and secondary school were) or one of the glass/clad things they build today - that's why our old court buildings and buildings of government are built in such grand designs in order to instill respect. Respect which leads to disipline is built on image and the smart school uniform works in much the same way.

So school uniform shouldn't be banned, rather it should be enforced - private schools however are a different matter and it should be up to them.

Kardan
15-08-2013, 02:16 PM
From the point of view of bullying, made fun of, etc... School uniform should be kept.
But in my own opinion, school uniform should only be for primary school, and high/secondary school should be any clothes.

And since it's different in scotland, it goes: Primary 1-7. Secondary 1-6.

If anything, it should be the other way round, introduce uniform for secondary school.

Back at my school with no uniform, it was... How short skirts can you have, how low can your low-cut top be... Whats the most offensive thing you can get on your T-Shirt... How see-through can your leggings be...

Quite a horrid place really...

Zak
15-08-2013, 02:42 PM
If anything, it should be the other way round, introduce uniform for secondary school.

Back at my school with no uniform, it was... How short skirts can you have, how low can your low-cut top be... Whats the most offensive thing you can get on your T-Shirt... How see-through can your leggings be...

Quite a horrid place really...

Oh I went to a Catholic high school and the girls tried rolling their skirts up ridiculously short. Wasn't complaining though.

Daltron
17-08-2013, 04:46 AM
I think it allows (younger) children and teens to concentrate more on education and not what they are wearing when in school, and as already mentioned prevents those who can't afford the luxury of a diverse wardrobe the bullying that could come their way.

oli
19-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Okay guys, here is the untold story behind uniform. In America schools are absolute mayhem everywhere you go, you have kids rebelling constantly, whether they're trying to get attention (which it usually is) or they're just angry. Not to say it doesn't happen here in the UK but, when a student rebels in the UK they rebel by undoing their top button, they might untuck their shirt. It makes all the rebelling that occurs to be as minimalistic as possible.

Not to mention the fact it also makes it easier to identify someone whilst they're not on school grounds.

AgnesIO
19-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Okay guys, here is the untold story behind uniform. In America schools are absolute mayhem everywhere you go, you have kids rebelling constantly, whether they're trying to get attention (which it usually is) or they're just angry. Not to say it doesn't happen here in the UK but, when a student rebels in the UK they rebel by undoing their top button, they might untuck their shirt. It makes all the rebelling that occurs to be as minimalistic as possible.

Not to mention the fact it also makes it easier to identify someone whilst they're not on school grounds.

Source for this bizarre statement? :L

Kardan
19-08-2013, 06:01 PM

America.

oli
19-08-2013, 06:38 PM

America.

America.

Empired
20-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Ugh. I hate my school uniform but I would hate not having a school uniform even more! On non-uniform days so many girls come in in the tiniest shorts and tops which barely cover anything at all. School just isn't the type of place for you to be wearing things like that. In my opinion, school uniforms teach children that, actually, you can't wear whatever the hell you like. If people don't have to wear school uniforms, I think they'll get an awful shock when they realise that they have to wear a suit for their job....

peteyt
23-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Like most have said, having no Uniform wouldn't help bullying wise. I'm not stating it would prevent bullying, bullies will always find a way as some have stated, but it would probably make things much worse.

Anyways in most jobs people will have to wear uniforms so I think it teaches a lesson. Some will rebell but at the end of the day it's those who get on with stuff that usually do well later on

e5
23-08-2013, 04:37 PM
prevents bullying, makes it equal and creates discipline, so no.

iBlueBox
23-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Keep school uniform, Not going to lie, I loved my school uniform in high school from Year 7 to 11,

Then In Sixth Form it was more relaxed, you had to wear 'smart wear' so basically office type clothes, suits ect.

Britz
24-08-2013, 03:47 PM
In my school the uniforms were green from 7-8 and then black 9-11 which could possibly make it hard for the families which don't have enough money! And even on school uniform days the ones who are 'less fortunate' still carried on to wear school uniform regardless to them knowing it was non-uniform day! It does make everyone equal but my school used to be really strict making you have to wear black socks nothing else, polished shoes, black trousers not shorts, collar MUST be out... And to be honest even with the new trends e.g. Having your collars tucked in or shirts rolled up some people are going to be judged for either following the trends or not... And people will still carry on to judge on your hair, skin colour, looks, body build and all the rest so i guess school uniform will never completely rule out inequality but it does prevent bullying a bit i guess!

Anyway overall the ones who do have the money will usually want non uniform day as they like to show their new up to date clothing. And the people that don't have enough money will find it hard to change clothes everyday!

-Thank you, Britz

PEACE!

HE-Joshua
25-08-2013, 06:04 PM
They must stay - It helps the general public steer clear of em haha! No seriously keep them its all about identity - but they should be Free!

oli
26-08-2013, 01:34 AM
In my school the uniforms were green from 7-8 and then black 9-11 which could possibly make it hard for the families which don't have enough money! And even on school uniform days the ones who are 'less fortunate' still carried on to wear school uniform regardless to them knowing it was non-uniform day! It does make everyone equal but my school used to be really strict making you have to wear black socks nothing else, polished shoes, black trousers not shorts, collar MUST be out... And to be honest even with the new trends e.g. Having your collars tucked in or shirts rolled up some people are going to be judged for either following the trends or not... And people will still carry on to judge on your hair, skin colour, looks, body build and all the rest so i guess school uniform will never completely rule out inequality but it does prevent bullying a bit i guess!

Anyway overall the ones who do have the money will usually want non uniform day as they like to show their new up to date clothing. And the people that don't have enough money will find it hard to change clothes everyday!

-Thank you, Britz

PEACE!

You're from Bristol under the law of the United Kingdom. If someone isn't able to afford their school uniform (literally can't pay for it for whatever reason) you would be given free uniform from the school.

Yay for benefits!!

Britz
26-08-2013, 12:14 PM
You're from Bristol under the law of the United Kingdom. If someone isn't able to afford their school uniform (literally can't pay for it for whatever reason) you would be given free uniform from the school.

Yay for benefits!!

Okay... But you must be missing my point. I'am talking about equality along with inequality and how school uniform tries to make everyone look the same yet that is literally impossible with all the new trends, new hair colours, etc.

oli
26-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Okay... But you must be missing my point. I'am talking about equality along with inequality and how school uniform tries to make everyone look the same yet that is literally impossible with all the new trends, new hair colours, etc.

Natural hair colour is the only thing allowed @ my school. New trends? There aren't any trends except rolling up the sleeves on your jumper. Case closed.

Britz
26-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Natural hair colour is the only thing allowed @ my school. New trends? There aren't any trends except rolling up the sleeves on your jumper. Case closed.

My posts are about MY PERSONAL view on school uniform and i was talking about the new trends in MY area not yours, so please next time you try comment on my PERSONAL view then do not criticize things such as the new trends in my area...

As for rolling up sleeves, in my area that is not a trend. It used to like a few years ago, and if people get to hot they just take off the jumper... So i'm sure you can see my point about criticizing my review when most areas in England are different to each others.

Please take that into account next to you post pointless quotes.

Thanks, Britz.

PEACE.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!