PDA

View Full Version : Is it right to judge a woman by her choice of clothing?

chantellehugs
03-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Not sure if a debate like this has been posted but it's something I've been thinking about.

It seems to happen a lot in today's society, if a woman goes out in clothes that show off her figure and reveals lots of skin she's often labelled as an 'attention-seeker', 'easy' or worse. The more extreme opinions suggest that such a woman is 'asking to be raped'.

Personally I don't understand why people get so worked up over it, if the way someone chooses to dress doesn't harm you then what's the big deal? I think everyone, not just women, should feel able to wear whatever they want without fear of being harassed or treated differently. Women should be able to dress however they want to and not have to fear rape.

What do you think?

sexpot
03-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I agree with you that they should be able to wear whatever they want and not be raped. Unfortunately that's not the kind of society we live in. There will always be people looking to take advantage of women who dress like that, as well as women who aren't, but that's beside the point.

Kardan
03-09-2013, 10:53 PM
People will always be judged on what they wear.

oli
04-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Of course it's right to judge them by it. By them putting on the clothes they're accepting the fact that people are going to judge them over it. Girls dress provocatively if they wanna **** some boys or to show that they're available.

AND IT'S NOT JUST WOMEN. You also judge men by what they wear... If they walk around in a suit you're going to think better of them rather than someone who is walking around in trackies..

myles
04-09-2013, 01:02 AM
no because i like wearing crop tops and mini skirts dont make me a **** tho? x

Empired
04-09-2013, 07:10 AM
Of course it's right to judge them by it. By them putting on the clothes they're accepting the fact that people are going to judge them over it. Girls dress provocatively if they wanna **** some boys or to show that they're available.

AND IT'S NOT JUST WOMEN. You also judge men by what they wear... If they walk around in a suit you're going to think better of them rather than someone who is walking around in trackies..
I agree totally with this. Women put on clothes knowing the effect that they're going to have. They can't go out wearing shorts that may as well be a belt and then complain when they get degrading comments.

Lewis
04-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Only read the title but...

Yes, it is right to judge a woman by her choice of clothes. And it is right to judge a man by his choice of clothes. But just because it's different, doesn't mean it makes them unsuitable for certain things.

As an example, someone who helped controlled the mars rover from Nasa was a young adult with parts of his hair colored and parts shorter/longer than the other. It would make me judge them as being a young person with absolutely awful taste and a disgusting appearance. But nothing else lol.

MKR&*42
04-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Erm hai can we get a mention for men being judged on clothes too.

I don't think its FAIR to judge anyone based on their clothes or something ridiculous like that, BUT people make snap judgements and you can't help that. I judge people in an instant based on their clothes but the "nice part" of my mind steps in a few sec later and is like hey that's unfair etc.

Yeah so if people really want to judge based on clothing articles. then go ahead as it is your life. but I don't agree with it.

Oh and sidenote, if I catch a woman complaining about how a guy is staring at her breasts whilst she is wearing something revealing then honestly I will flip because you cannot go and complain about a straight male having such an interest in boobs unless h e gets all touchy feely with thrm.

Eoin247
04-09-2013, 06:02 PM
People are always gonna make judgements on appearance, that's life unfortunately.

Catchy
04-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Erm hai can we get a mention for men being judged on clothes too.

I don't think its FAIR to judge anyone based on their clothes or something ridiculous like that, BUT people make snap judgements and you can't help that. I judge people in an instant based on their clothes but the "nice part" of my mind steps in a few sec later and is like hey that's unfair etc.

Yeah so if people really want to judge based on clothing articles. then go ahead as it is your life. but I don't agree with it.

Oh and sidenote, if I catch a woman complaining about how a guy is staring at her breasts whilst she is wearing something revealing then honestly I will flip because you cannot go and complain about a straight male having such an interest in boobs unless h e gets all touchy feely with thrm.

How is it unfair? It's human nature to judge people and a lot of the time our judgements actually serve us well... Well mine do anyway. Don't know about you but if I seen a gang of hooded black youths with gold teeth etc I'd probably avoid them in fear of getting attacked. You can tell a lot about a person by their choice of clothes.

MKR&*42
04-09-2013, 06:11 PM
How is it unfair? It's human nature to judge people and a lot of the time our judgements actually serve us well... Well mine do anyway. Don't know about you but if I seen a gang of hooded black youths with gold teeth etc I'd probably avoid them in fear of getting attacked. You can tell a lot about a person by their choice of clothes.

I meant I don't think the system itself is that fair. I understand its necessity sometimes but when people hold false beliefs about a person based on their clothing which actually doesn't relate to their personality at all, then it is problematic .

Catchy
04-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I meant I don't think the system itself is that fair. I understand its necessity sometimes but when people hold false beliefs about a person based on their clothing which actually doesn't relate to their personality at all, then it is problematic .

I see what you're saying I guess, however, surely a persons clothing sort of represents their personality? TO AN EXTENT!

MKR&*42
04-09-2013, 06:17 PM
I see what you're saying I guess, however, surely a persons clothing sort of represents their personality? TO AN EXTENT!

To an extent yes I would agree, like the example you used earlier. When people don't form an entire judgement of that person based on clothes its not as ridiculous.

Catchy
04-09-2013, 06:21 PM
To an extent yes I would agree, like the example you used earlier. When people don't form an entire judgement of that person based on clothes its not as ridiculous.

Thing is I wouldn't mix with certain types of people if I don't like the look of them, does that make me ridiculous?

MKR&*42
04-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Thing is I wouldn't mix with certain types of people if I don't like the look of them, does that make me ridiculous?
I don't think being cautious of someone who dresses in a certain manner is bad, but I believe people should be open to seeing that person could have another side to them (more than meets the eye etc). :P

FlyingJesus
04-09-2013, 09:57 PM
If you don't judge people what are you gonna do all day?

In all seriousness though there is a huge difference between passing judgement and acting negatively upon that judgement. I can see someone wearing a trenchcoat and dark glasses and think they're a complete nonce but as long as I don't try to murder him because I'm just a simulacrum of humanity rendered by the Matrix and he looks like The One then it's not a problem
I mean what

-:Undertaker:-
05-09-2013, 02:57 AM
If you don't judge people what are you gonna do all day?

In all seriousness though there is a huge difference between passing judgement and acting negatively upon that judgement. I can see someone wearing a trenchcoat and dark glasses and think they're a complete nonce but as long as I don't try to murder him because I'm just a simulacrum of humanity rendered by the Matrix and he looks like The One then it's not a problem
I mean what

Took the words right out of my mouth.

There's nothing wrong with judging people - it only becomes potentially wrong if you become rude because of it.

Absently
05-09-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't think it's right to judge people on their choice of clothing, but it doesn't stop anything whatsoever. In my head, I'll always just automatically judge somebody on what they're wearing. Sometimes it'll simply be for safety e.g. if there's a lot of scummy looking lads/girls and I'm on my own I'll quickly cross the road to avoid contact. Obviously in that way it's wrong, 'cos they might just be having a day and thrown something on :P With the whole girls thing revealing clothes, just because you judge them doesn't mean you have the right to rape them or make touchy advances towards them. It also depends on the situation, when going out most girls wear very revealing clothing and it's just sort of acceptable, doesn't mean anyone has the right to rape them...

Zak
06-09-2013, 09:59 PM
People will always be judged on what they wear.

This.

From my experience I've always dressed as a bit of a chav.. I just feel comfortable in trackie bottoms, a t-shirt and trainers. When I started at University almost everyone judged me by the way I looked.. no-one really talked to me. I wasn't going to change who I was for them though! Unsurprisingly they all got to know me and I got a long really well with most people.

People would always (and still do) give me dirty looks - like I was thick and lived in a council house with my 9 brothers and sisters or something. I still dress how I want now - at work I'm smart and outside of work (because I live on a farm) I dress like a tramp and when people see you out say shopping they think you're a right mong.. yet they wouldn't have thought that earlier when I was in shirt and trousers.

I judge people too. I think we all do from time to time. I do try not to though - usually the people who dress differently end up the nicest people around.

lemons
06-09-2013, 10:03 PM
it isn't right but it will always happen, i judge people by how they dress sometimes

non-uniform day was perfect to judge people:rolleyes:

-Moniquee.
07-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Im neutral on this. No one likes to be judged, however, some of the clothes that girls wear is unbelievable. I think whatever you wear you are accepting the fact that you are going to get judged, thats just a fact of life.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!