PDA

View Full Version : Speaking and Listening

Aiden
10-10-2013, 05:26 PM
In school we've started doing GCSE English like most other people in my year (10). I did my first written coursework last week... and today we completed our speaking and listening...

I was wondering if you have any tips for next time? I was really nervous and think I will need to do better next time... (It's only worth 6.6% but I still want to do well)

I get my grade tomorrow...

so far I got a A for written...

Futz
10-10-2013, 05:51 PM
just make eye contact speak confidently and keep flash cards so you are able to keep talking if you lose where you are

I remember when I did mine someone asked the question "why was michael jacksons death iconic" and I accidently said "it was a good thing he died", teacher gave us all A's though because it's just like practical science exams at GCSE

geo
10-10-2013, 05:53 PM
read it out in front of your friends and practice it a **** ton of times, so you don't need to use your sheet and so u can speak about it confidently. idk what type of thing you're doing it on but we kinda had to do it on current news, so make sure you know what you're speaking about (again idk i guess it depends on what you're doing but i had to be ready for people to fire questions at me about it so it was good to know some background info)

probably shouldnt give advice on this stuff becauSE I SUCKED but i wish i'd practiced more

Aiden
10-10-2013, 05:55 PM
read it out in front of your friends and practice it a **** ton of times, so you don't need to use your sheet and so u can speak about it confidently. idk what type of thing you're doing it on but we kinda had to do it on current news, so make sure you know what you're speaking about (again idk i guess it depends on what you're doing but i had to be ready for people to fire questions at me about it so it was good to know some background info)

probably shouldnt give advice on this stuff becauSE I SUCKED but i wish i'd practiced more

The one we're doing is designing a game show and explaining how it works... thanks for your advice. :)

lemons
10-10-2013, 06:00 PM
i got a D in my speaking and listening pmsl

i thought rules were changed so s&l isn't included in the gcse

dbgtz
10-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Just practice it a bit. I messed my year 10 presentation up a bit by accidentally saying my old headteacher rubbed his penis on me and made sure I practiced a bit before any presentation. For my EPQ presentation I literally looked through it a bit in order and said to my friend roughly what I intended to say.

geo
10-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Just practice it a bit. I messed my year 10 presentation up a bit by accidentally saying my old headteacher rubbed his penis on me and made sure I practiced a bit before any presentation. For my EPQ presentation I literally looked through it a bit in order and said to my friend roughly what I intended to say.

wHO rubbed their penis against you what thE ****

dbgtz
10-10-2013, 06:06 PM
wHO rubbed their penis against you what thE ****

what actually happened was he put his hand down his trousers and then rubbed that hand on my head (yes we believed he was a paedo) but I muddled my words to make it seem like his willy instead of his hand.

CrazyLemurs
10-10-2013, 07:51 PM
LMAO tom err

Well
I think speaking and listening tasks are being either discounted or worth less or something
But nonetheless:
Pick a theme you're comfortable talking about (make sure they can't ask questions that you won't be able to answer) and ideally one you're already knowledgeable about so the conversation (or presentation etc.) goes as realistically as it can
Probably most importantly, if you're not taking in an entire script (which some actually allow), don't be afraid if you can't remember it 100%.
Nobody will really care if you say one thing in your talk that's different to what you intended, so long as you don't contradict it later. I've seen a lot of people just freeze up because they couldn't remember the exact line they wanted to say next. Improv will likely look a bit more natural too

Gibs960
10-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Don't have cue cards that say exactly what you're going to say, they're just for reference.
Make eye contact with the whole audience
And do something that you're genuinely happy with, don't have a gameshow that you don't believe in, it comes across badly.

I did mine last year and we had a choice of what we did, I didn't do any preparations because I got the dates muddled up and ended up just going off the top of my head... got A*. But honestly, I wouldn't recommend that if you're not confident to begin with, doesn't work unless you're genuinely confident. But of course, I'd try out different ways, such as going off the top of your head, with cue cards or completed scripted. Hope I helped!

Kardan
10-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't remember the speaking or listening parts...

Matt
11-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Speaking and Listening kills me it's the one thing I hate more than anything. I worry about presentations way too much and I'm hoping i'll overcome it some day but yeah the only advice i've been told over and over again is to relax and be prepared. The worst thing you can do is go up there and not have a clue as to what you are going to talk about. But yeah, I hate public speaking soooo much wow, don't get me started lol.

lawrawrrr
11-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Just remember to talk slowly and clearly - practice practice practice. When you're walking around, in front of the mirror. And make sure you actually know what you're talking about!

Although it's worth so little just practising public speaking or anything is extremely good for later in life :)

Gina
11-10-2013, 04:05 PM
prob shouldnt take advice from me cos when i did one last year i mucked up all my words... i did mine about an eastenders transcript n it was all going good until i mucked up all the names and merged them together so i started saying like sheather and hirley haha
but yeh just practice it and try and learn your line things
hv some special card things though to remind you what you're saying incase you forget, but that looks a lot better than having a piece of paper you're reading word for word from and it shows you have a better grasp of it
o and also make sure that when you speak you speak clearlyyy

Evanora
11-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Don't speak too fast as it can lead to you tripping over your own words

Aiden
11-10-2013, 06:12 PM
My group got a A. Get our personal grades on Monday... :S

Our presentation was also voted best by our class... 4 out of 7 people voted us wooo ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!