PDA

View Full Version : Charles at 65: Will Prince Charles make a good King?

-:Undertaker:-
09-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Charles at 65: Will Prince Charles make a good King?

http://www.euromag.ru/storage/c/2013/05/08/1368020149_294047_70.jpg

On her 21st birthday in South Africa, in 1947, our present Queen, then Princess Elizabeth, famously broadcast to the Commonwealth and Empire. She dedicated “the whole of my life, whether it be long or short”, to its service. It has been long. Next week, in Sri Lanka, the Prince of Wales will spend his 65th birthday representing his mother at the conference of the Commonwealth that she still serves. It will be the first time he has stood in her stead for this task.

As he reaches what most people think of as retirement age, he has still not stepped into the role that his mother assumed at the age of 25. His position is unique. Even Edward VII, Queen Victoria’s eldest son, did not have such a long apprenticeship. Prince Charles has been the heir to the throne since 1952.

When the time comes, as it eventually will barring unforeseen circumstances, Prince Charles will become King Charles III of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Canada, the Commonwealth of Australia, New Zealand and various other realms across the world with Queen Camilla by his side. Uniquely, however, and not seen since Edward VII will a King and Queen of such old age have come to the throne - the present Queen, as Charles Moore notes, came to the throne as a tender age 25.

The question is, do you believe a future King Charles III will rule as a good monarch? Critics of the Prince of Wales make the charge that he constanty meddles in the affairs of government - from environment to religion to architecture. Others argue that he is simply following his interests and that for him to remain silent whilst not King (despite being 65) is an incredibly long time to expect a man to act as a Monarch when he is not the Monarch. Supporters will also say that it is good that Charles in his role as part of a constitutional monarchy is keeping the politicians in line and on their toes.

So what do you think? Not that you have any choice in the matter as it is a monarchy, but do you think Prince Charles will make a good King or are you dreading the moment he becomes sovereign and why?

There are plenty of nifty prizes to be won within this forum. Positive contributions towards official debates will sometimes be rewarded with a month's VIP subscription in a colour of your choice as part of the Top Contributor award. As well as this, reputation will be awarded throughout the debate to those who make valid and constructive posts. Those who make the best contributions within a month win the Debater of the Month award and wins themselves a month's worth of forum VIP and 10 reputation points. Finally, those who create debate topics that generate a lot of buzz and engaging discussion will receive 20 reputation points.

The debate is open to you.

-Moniquee.
09-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Personally, I don't like Charles much at all. I think William would make a much better King.

Inseriousity.
09-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Him being King means his mum would have to die so I don't think he minds waiting so long (pretty sure he's talked about it elsewhere). I know some say he should abdicate and give it to William, someone who's young, but it's my opinion that having kings that are old so that the younger princes don't have that pressure on them at such a young age (and maybe not so much a normal life as we know it but as normal as they can make it given their circumstances) is a good thing. As for whether he'd be a good King, I think it'd be nice having a king who's passionate about issues so long as it does not go too far. More of an educational role telling people about things he cares about rather than a political one where he gets involved in policy-making.

Kardan
09-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Why wouldn't he make a good King? I think the argument that he should let William become King ASAP is a bad one :P

-:Undertaker:-
11-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Personally, I don't like Charles much at all. I think William would make a much better King.

Is that because Charles is old and not attractive?

The odds are that William won't be much younger than Charles when he comes to the throne too you know. :P

-Moniquee.
11-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Is that because Charles is old and not attractive?

The odds are that William won't be much younger than Charles when he comes to the throne too you know. :P

I don't know what it is, I just don't respect Charles. There is something odd about him.

bkps
11-11-2013, 04:38 PM
I think him being King wouldn't be a great idea. First of all, the queen is still in place and she may be for a few more years and Charles is already 65, maybe by then he will be 70 and him reigning may be a waste of time. It is quite shallow of us to not want a King just because he's already quite old but it's reality - he won't last very long. I'm not saying he wouldn't do a good job, because I think he would I just think that William should be the King as he's already been appointed

FlyingJesus
11-11-2013, 05:59 PM
I can't imagine anyone who knows what Charles actually does with his time would be against him as a monarch - the man has had a ridiculous impact on turning around youth unemployment/unemployability (which he's initiated his sons into as well to ensure that his work continues as long as possible) as well as constantly campaigning for a slew of noble charity causes. I used to be part of the "just a bumbling old man" brigade but then I looked into his life and am happy to say that I couldn't have been more wrong

Empired
11-11-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm not so sure about Charles becoming king.. I've never had much respect for him because of how horrifically he treated Diana after their separation. Plus I'm slightly confused by him having political views. I thought you were supposed to keep your political opinions private if you are (in line to be) King/Queen? :S

Reality
01-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Ok he's a good asset to the blue blood royal family; he is basically the queens "trophy" she has him there when she is at important events! I don't think that he will be successful but I'm sure he will hopefully make the correct decisions for the UK as the current royal is at the minute! I do think his political views could get the better of him though as he shouldn't be speaking to the public about this! Going back to making sure he makes the correct decisions, will he? He will most probably not, so I don't think he will be a good successor to the throne as previous have done!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!