PDA

View Full Version : Capitalising on Human Organs

Daltron
15-12-2013, 06:56 AM
So the other day in Sydney I was waiting for a train and a woman came up to me asking me to sign her petition for a submission for the government to respond to organ trafficking and harvesting in China. The petition stated that there is a lot of underground organ trafficking in China which the government refuses to acknowledge.

For those who don't know what organ trade involves this is from Wikipedia:

Organ trade is the trade involving inner human organs (heart, liver, kidneys, etc.) for organ transplantation. There is a worldwide shortage of organs available for transplantation, yet commercial trade in human organs is illegal in all countries except Iran. The problem of illegal organ trafficking is widespread, although data on the exact scale of the organ market is difficult to obtain. Whether or not to legalize the organ trade, and the appropriate way to combat illegal trafficking, is a subject of much debate.

There have been very few cases in Sydney involving the drugging of adults and teenagers and removal of their organs, mainly by medical students with knowledge about safe practice and how to keep the individuals alive post organ removal, but I am sure in many other countries which are less developed it is a lot more prominent and I was thinking maybe this would halt if it was legalised with strict protocol.

My questions are:
1. Should organ trafficking and harvesting be legal?
2. Is a market viable for governments to legalise it and maximise profits and in turn ease tax payer funds?
3. Should an individual have a right to sell their organs for profit if they wish?
4. What are the most serious of risks?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!