PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam

Blinger
11-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Who's been, what are your thoughts? Would you go again?

Moved by Calum0812 (Forum Moderator) from 'Spam' as I feel it is better suited here.

Rixion
12-01-2014, 06:49 AM
I've been and I loved it (was only 16 though so didn't get to have the *full* Amsterdam experience), the sights were beautiful and the RLD was certainly interesting..

GommeInc
12-01-2014, 02:38 PM
I've been twice. Such an amazing city. What I find odd is whenever I tell people they immediately look at me as if to say I went for the Red Light District, drugs and prostitutes. I was fascinated that cocaine only cost 50 Euros, but it was probably not legitimate in any shape or form, not that I bought any but was approached when leaving the RLD.

Anyone who goes - I urge you to get the IAmsterdam Card - a maximum 72 hours of tram travel included, as well as free entry to some exhibits and money off food and drink. Also, a 2-3 hour train journey to Apeldoorn and then a short bus ride to the Kroller-Muller National Park, sculpture and art museum are well worth it. You can spend a day there cycling for free (they have thousands of bikes you just pick up and go on, leave, then pick up another one when you're done with wherever you are).

Definitely would love to go again and I recommended it for the art and culture. It is incredibly expensive though.

lRhyss
13-01-2014, 12:50 PM
I've been twice. Such an amazing city. What I find odd is whenever I tell people they immediately look at me as if to say I went for the Red Light District, drugs and prostitutes. I was fascinated that cocaine only cost 50 Euros, but it was probably not legitimate in any shape or form, not that I bought any but was approached when leaving the RLD.

Anyone who goes - I urge you to get the IAmsterdam Card - a maximum 72 hours of tram travel included, as well as free entry to some exhibits and money off food and drink. Also, a 2-3 hour train journey to Apeldoorn and then a short bus ride to the Kroller-Muller National Park, sculpture and art museum are well worth it. You can spend a day there cycling for free (they have thousands of bikes you just pick up and go on, leave, then pick up another one when you're done with wherever you are).

Definitely would love to go again and I recommended it for the art and culture. It is incredibly expensive though.

I agree with this... However I didn't find it expensive at all, to go there?

£260 Got me and 4 friends there for 4 nights, 5 days in the Holiday Inn which was pretty central... But if you mean while you're there (food, travelling, entries, "coffee" etc...) The it's.. Meh, Just like London really... So yeah, expensive :P

I recommenced the Anne rank museum, I'm sorry but it's really bloody interesting. Although get tickets before going as we queued for 3 hours!

GommeInc
13-01-2014, 06:45 PM
I agree with this... However I didn't find it expensive at all, to go there?

£260 Got me and 4 friends there for 4 nights, 5 days in the Holiday Inn which was pretty central... But if you mean while you're there (food, travelling, entries, "coffee" etc...) The it's.. Meh, Just like London really... So yeah, expensive :P

I recommenced the Anne rank museum, I'm sorry but it's really bloody interesting. Although get tickets before going as we queued for 3 hours!
Agreed about Anne Frank. Also, I have a feeling it was only expensive when I went because we also went to Apeldoorn which is on the other side of the country :P

Cassiieee
14-01-2014, 01:07 AM
My ex-best friend is originally from there. She moved to spain at a young age, I can't remember how old she was, She and her family ended up moving back about 4/5 years ago now. And tbh, she's got such a better life now since she's gone back. She's always invited me to go out and visit, but it's so expensive. :L

Blinger
18-01-2014, 06:45 AM
I went by Megabus, backpacking on the cheap and being a tightarse. Would I do it again? Probably. Although it may have felt like a long trip.. I don't remember having anyone next to me which was good and free WiFi = win!

The RLD was over hyped, its just girls in windows doing one of three things: a figure 8 dance, checking their phone or putting makeup on. Staying at a hostel was cheap for summer, something like €15-20 a night for dead center of the RLD. Pubs, bars, cafés everywhere and drugs.. well there's mushrooms (truffles) to weed and I was even offered coke by a drunk local.

Probably won't go back, if I want to do drugs I'll do it with friends at home, and the city wasn't THAT good compared to others (London, Paris, Rome, Zürich (Switzerland in general)).

GommeInc
18-01-2014, 02:09 PM
I went by Megabus, backpacking on the cheap and being a tightarse. Would I do it again? Probably. Although it may have felt like a long trip.. I don't remember having anyone next to me which was good and free WiFi = win!

The RLD was over hyped, its just girls in windows doing one of three things: a figure 8 dance, checking their phone or putting makeup on. Staying at a hostel was cheap for summer, something like €15-20 a night for dead center of the RLD. Pubs, bars, cafés everywhere and drugs.. well there's mushrooms (truffles) to weed and I was even offered coke by a drunk local.

Probably won't go back, if I want to do drugs I'll do it with friends at home, and the city wasn't THAT good compared to others (London, Paris, Rome, Zürich (Switzerland in general)).
I take it you didn't go for the art then? :P Amsterdam is a good base to go from to Utrecht (?) and elsewhere like The Hague and Rotterdam. I can see your point though, there is a lot of hype over the city in general - particularly the RLD.

Blinger
18-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Not really, no. I did go to the Van Gough museum if I remember correctly, well, one of the museums. But they really do nothing for me. A bit like going to the Louvre and seeing Lisa, it wasn't my cup of tea but I did it anyway.

GommeInc
19-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Ah so one of those "might as well do it once" events? Completely understandable. Are there any countries or places you'd like to go to in the future which stand out?

Yawn
19-01-2014, 11:35 PM
id love to go
but no sight seeing for me x

e5
19-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Went with my gf first time round, it's very good for tourists tbf, we had a good time!

going this year with the lads though so should be a different experience haha :P

Blinger
20-01-2014, 07:43 AM
id love to go
but no sight seeing for me x
I'm going to assume drugs. It's cheap enough but going with mates is more fun I'd suspect. Or you can do it at home where it won't be any different.

Ah so one of those "might as well do it once" events? Completely understandable. Are there any countries or places you'd like to go to in the future which stand out?
Berlin for sure. The history of it would be amazing. I'd love to go camping/hiking in the Scottish highlands but for that I'd need more cashola, be older (more than 22 so I can rent a car cheaper) and be with the old man I think, he enjoys nature stuff and we're pretty good mates.
Other than that probably need to backpack around Asia. Apart from being cheap, there'd be heaps to do because of the currency conversions.. and the amount of amazing islands and secluded beaches and food. I'd be eating street food all day everyday (yeah, I've done it before, never been sick).
Also want to go to America. Drive from L.A. to Vegas to New York via Miami. But that's not too high on the list tbh.

Went with my gf first time round, it's very good for tourists tbf, we had a good time!

going this year with the lads though so should be a different experience haha :P
Best thing I saw sitting in the hostel was 4 french guys who were spaced out on 'shrooms trying to roll a 30cm joint and giggling like a bunch of girls. Absolute classic!

Daltron
22-01-2014, 09:34 PM
never been

-Moniquee.
25-01-2014, 06:25 AM
I'm going there I'm July. I'm pretty keen.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!