PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2014

Drewar
19-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Has anybody been watching the Australian Open?

I haven't got to watch most of it because I've been so busy this past week but I got to watch a bit of Djokovic v. Istomin yesterday, he was playing pretty damn good.

Anyone have a favorite playing? My tennis coach really loves Federer so I'd like to see him play well.

Mark
19-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Only been watching the late night matches, which is early morning for us. Naturally I'm rooting for Murray to win, he's been playing very well!

Daltron
19-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Been checking it out at the gym lately it's all they play (on all 12 tv's haha)
Not rooting for anyone in particular though!

Shar
19-01-2014, 12:14 PM
I've not been able to watch any matches but I'm rooting for Murray

Mark
19-01-2014, 12:25 PM

I think it's only been on Eurosport, although the final will be on BBC

Matt
20-01-2014, 05:05 AM
I've been keeping up with certain people. I saw a video on Facebook of a ball boy getting hit in the face with a tennis ball lmao, poor guy.

Blinger
20-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Worst player out there. I hope he doesn't get near the finals. Or even better if Federer knocks him out next round (if they get through.)

Mark
20-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Worst player out there. I hope he doesn't get near the finals. Or even better if Federer knocks him out next round (if they get through.)

Please elaborate on how he is the worst player ever? In the space of 18 months he's won two grand slams, a gold medal and a sports personality of the year award? Do you even know much about tennis lol?

iJim.
20-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Please elaborate on how he is the worst player ever? In the space of 18 months he's won two grand slams, a gold medal and a sports personality of the year award? Do you even know much about tennis lol?

I have to agree! Murray is looking on form! If he starts off well this could be his year, as long as he keeps his head!

On the other female side, I really like Anna Ivanovic! Good looking and has recently locked out Williams! Looking good for this year!

Blinger
21-01-2014, 05:16 AM
Trust a Scottish (or even British if you want to claim him as "your own") person to stick up for him. Anyway look at his Grand Slam (since they are the most important realistically) record from 2008:
Won 2 - the ones you conveniently pointed out.
Lost 5 - He has only won 2 set against his opponents in these matches whereas in his wins he won one over 5 sets and the other in three.
The sports personality of the year award? That's a predominantly UK/Northern Ireland award, so it doesn't really include other people like Nadal/Djokovic/Federer/Ferrer etc does it?

People are eligible to win Sports Personality of the Year if they are citizens of Great Britain or Northern Ireland or all of the following criteria apply:- They play a significant amount of their sport in the UK;
- Their core achievements that year were achieved in the UK, and not with a non-UK based team (in which case they would more likely qualify for the Overseas award);
- They are residents in the UK.

He is also quite up and down, he'll be good at one tournament and the next one he isn't convincingly (for lack of a better word) good.

Mark
21-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Trust a Scottish (or even British if you want to claim him as "your own") person to stick up for him. Anyway look at his Grand Slam (since they are the most important realistically) record from 2008:
Won 2 - the ones you conveniently pointed out.
Lost 5 - He has only won 2 set against his opponents in these matches whereas in his wins he won one over 5 sets and the other in three.
The sports personality of the year award? That's a predominantly UK/Northern Ireland award, so it doesn't really include other people like Nadal/Djokovic/Federer/Ferrer etc does it?
[/FONT][/COLOR]

He is also quite up and down, he'll be good at one tournament and the next one he isn't convincingly (for lack of a better word) good.

I assume you've never played tennis and don't know how difficult it can be sometimes. If we look at other Top 4 players such as David Ferrer who has been pretty consistent for years now yet never won a grand slam, does that make him a rubbish player? Absolutely not!
He's also fairly young for the sport with players retiring about 32/33, meaning he has about 6/7 years left. To answer your question of inconsistency he had a back problem/pain for years now, however had an operation in September and has just returned at the Australian Open. Returning from injury and getting to the quarter final of a grand slam is bloody good.

Relating to the sports award, it is a UK award. However considering he got over 50% of the overall vote emphasises how good a player he is. Yes he may not have a personality as such however he's greatly improved over the last two years, although I wouldn't expect you to know that because you're not "one of his own".

Apologies for any spelling mistakes as I've just got up.

Mark
21-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Huge upset today with the world number 2 and 3 time Aus Champion Novak Djokovic was knocked out by Stanislas Wawrinka in a huge 5-setter!!

Blinger
22-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Oh no. Andrew Murray lost. What a shame. . .

Kardan
22-01-2014, 01:41 PM

Haha, I'm a Murray fan. I think that Djokovic and Nadal are consistently better than Murray, and with Federer these days it seems they share wins every other match - so I'd say he's probably the 4th best in the world. Certainly not the worst :P

CrazyLemurs
22-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Why does nobody argue about womens tennis hmm
Na Li seems to be doing great with some clear matches like I think I saw 6-4 6-2 from her the other day
Seems to me the final will have to be Li and Azarenka as their opponents look pretty easy

I'm currently on my iPhone if you are seeing this message. Pretend like you care xx

lucaskf390
22-01-2014, 05:25 PM
ROGER FEDERER is playing better than all others, He'll be champion for the 5th time!
LETS GO, GREATEST TENNIS PLAYER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Why does nobody argue about womens tennis hmm
Na Li seems to be doing great with some clear matches like I think I saw 6-4 6-2 from her the other day
Seems to me the final will have to be Li and Azarenka as their opponents look pretty easy

I'm currently on my iPhone if you are seeing this message. Pretend like you care xx

Serena is unfortunately out, I believe (beautiful) Bouchard will be the champion now

CrazyLemurs
22-01-2014, 05:34 PM
I can't see her getting past the semis as she has Na Li tomorrow which will be difficult for her to win; 4th seed to 31st seed
Although there have been enough upsets to make it normal now, so maybe she will win

CrazyLemurs
25-01-2014, 08:51 AM
You can come and watch the women's final with me here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/25850080
it is currently 1 game to 0 for li

Daltron
25-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Ahh I hope Wawrinka wins tomorrow night! I love a good underdog story :)

Mark
25-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Ahh I hope Wawrinka wins tomorrow night! I love a good underdog story :)

Same! Really dislike Nadal!

Daltron
26-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Same! Really dislike Nadal!

Not very likeable at all!

Matt
26-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Is Wawrinka on steroids?

Mark
26-01-2014, 11:57 AM
What a fantastic final! Shame for Nadal being injured however on the day Wawrinka was definitely the better player. Looking to be an exciting season this year.

Blinger
26-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Just another Swiss grand slam winner. Oh how I'm proud to be swiss. :rolleyes:

Daltron
27-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Good on you Wawrinka! It's a shame Nadal was being boo'd when clearly in pain though, that was harsh.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!