PDA

View Full Version : [HELP PLEASE!] Emotions in Film // Uni Study

Chug!
23-02-2014, 04:52 PM
HI GUYS;
I'm currently doing a uni study on Sound and how it's used in films to manipulate our emotions

Could you please read through the following and answer the best you can, with any ideas you have!

QUESTION: What films do you think of when you think about EMOTION, whether it be horror, naivety, love, heartbreak.. ?

What do you think it is, in that film that makes you feel that way.

Is it the acting, and screen play? What is on screen, what you're viewing.

Is it the music soundtrack? That happy jolly track that you hear when someone is on a bike riding down a slight slope?

Is it the sound fx/design in general? Them harsh sound effects? that whip that makes you cringe a little, thinking about how much it may hurt? Them high pitch squeals that make you feel un-easy?

All comments welcome! Theres no right or wrong, I'm looking for opinions and how films can be perceived. Especially regarding the Sound and what it'd be like to watch a film without the sound on!

Thanks!

+REP to any answers given :)

IzzyUhh
23-02-2014, 06:49 PM
The notebook
IDC BUT FROZEN DOES OK
They both contain a lot of emotion, Happiness, Anger, Sadness.
The frozen soundtrack has a couple of sad songs but a lot of uplifting jolly ones (Well I think so anyway :P)
The emotion in the actors voices represent it well along with the music in the backround and how they have shown the characters

Empousa
23-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Putting my response under spoiler tags so as to keep from possibly spoiling bits of this film.

QUESTION: What films do you think of when you think about EMOTION, whether it be horror, naivety, love, heartbreak.. ?
- There are so many... but to pinpoint a few: Pete's Dragon; The Hunger Games (both); Marley & Me; Star Trek: Into Darkness. The one that comes to mind most prominently is The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

- The characters, and how they are portrayed... the varied emotions of the likes of Katniss Everdeen and Haymitch Abernathy, the change from chirpy Effie Trinket to a woman who cares about lives of tributes, and the discreet dislike in front of others between Katniss and President Snow... and the twists in the Arena, and the Quarter Quell in general. Half of the film's duration, I was in tears because I could understand just how the characters had felt.

- I am seeing my favourite literary characters being brought to life, so vivid it's like you're watching their lives as if it was happening not just in the cinema but in the real world. This film in particular, it feels even more realistic, and even more terrifying, because it's got a possibility of reality to it. And that's how I can read and feel those emotions more than other films.

Is it the music soundtrack? That happy jolly track that you hear when someone is on a bike riding down a slight slope?
- It's not so much the soundtrack as it is the lack of soundtrack. No tension music whatsoever, which makes it all that much more tense and realistic. I fixate on the situations at hand because of that lack of soundtrack, which gets my nerves up more than if music was put to the tense and sad scenes.

Is it the sound fx/design in general? Them harsh sound effects? that whip that makes you cringe a little, thinking about how much it may hurt? Them high pitch squeals that make you feel un-easy?
- That's another contributing factor. I won't go into too much detail because even under these spoiler tags I don't want to spoil too much of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire for anyone reading this, but the sound effects with one particular scene got me on tenterhooks. It terrified me as much as Katniss and Finnick.

Kardan
24-02-2014, 12:29 AM
The music is probably the most important part other than the acting itself. I mean, watching Requiem for a Dream without music is completely different to watching it with music. The music constantly builds up throughout the whole film, starts off with slow music that sounds half decent, and by the end it's fast music with violins screeching and everything. Gives a sense of the emotion I think.

Eric
24-02-2014, 01:53 AM
What films do you think of when you think about EMOTION, whether it be horror, naivety, love, heartbreak.. ?

24 Days Later

The connection and bond developed between the characters throughout the movie
Sharp cuts and film editing that make it looks nightmarish and spine-chilling
The production design responsible for the meticulous details of the surrounding in depicting a vivid apocalyptic city

Yes, the acting is important in making the audience to invest themselves in the experience of survival
Same goes for the screenplay, a structured plot is important to link the story from the beginning til the end, along with twist and turns, constant obstacles to overcome, a good ending (interestingly enough 28 days later had a few alternate endings but they went with the happy one), the development and relationship between the characters

Yes, like the music used in the movie called "in a house in a heartbeat" by john murphy ramps up the finale of the movie thus enhancing the emotional impact of that scene, perfect music for thrilling action scene. And "A.M 180" by Grandaddy when they found an intact supermarket with plentiful of supplies in the midst of apocalypse increases the spirit of survival

The beastial sound effects of the virus-infected cannibals and the fx could contribute in conjuring up scary images and further adds into the chaos and confusion.
But i wouldn't say it's all about sound effects, there is a part where it's silent and that also builds up the tension as well, creating a different mood. Silence speaks volumes. Still i think both could be useful and could play important roles in creating an emotional movie

Chug!
24-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys ! It's really appreciated! +Rep to all who have suggested so far ! :D Eric NoNoNoNoDPWMH Kardan IzzyUhh xx

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!