PDA

View Full Version : How to get kids to stop smoking in non-smoking areas?

Zak
07-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to stop students from smoking in the playground or outside doorways?

Incentive schemes, policies etc? There are designated smoking areas already but they pay no attention to them :P

+rep for amazing suggestions :P

Catchy
07-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Take it your on about a school? There shouldn't have to be any incentives, what's wrong with punishment if caught doing so?

Kyle
07-03-2014, 03:14 PM
fear of informal sanction is better deterrence than punishment. find a way 2 make others hate them for breaking the rule and they will be less likely to do so.

buttons
07-03-2014, 03:20 PM
er say if they are caught smoking out with designated areas they will have the cigarettes taken off them?

Alkaz
07-03-2014, 04:16 PM
There is never enough staff to encorce these rules and even when there are they just ignore them. When I am at uni there is often like 100 people outside smoking and nothing gets said or done about it because no matter what you do people will continue to smoke there anyway.

Futz
07-03-2014, 04:58 PM
guilt trip them all with an assembly about second hand smoke

-:Undertaker:-
07-03-2014, 05:40 PM
I suggest abolishing the silly anti-smoking rules and focusing on education, which is what school/university is for.

buttons
07-03-2014, 05:43 PM
I suggest abolishing the silly anti-smoking rules and focusing on education, which is what school/university is for.
they have designated areas... he's complaining they don't smoke there, not that they smoke
as someone who used to smoke id have rather used designated areas so im not bothering others with my smoke (not just in ur oo passive smoking doesn't count way but in a it makes people choke, gets in their eyes n smells awful kinda way) or making a mess elsewhere

Empired
07-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Kyle's idea was best I think. Yeah it's unfair for other kids to get punished for something they didn't do, but if you punish everyone (doesn't have to be a big thing, just something annoying) for when a few people are caught smoking in non-designated areas, they're going to be under a lot more pressure to only smoke in the designated areas?

-:Undertaker:-
07-03-2014, 05:51 PM
they have designated areas... he's complaining they don't smoke there, not that they smoke
as someone who used to smoke id have rather used designated areas so im not bothering others with my smoke (not just in ur oo passive smoking doesn't count way but in a it makes people choke, gets in their eyes n smells awful kinda way) or making a mess elsewhere

I haven't ever tried a cigarette (won't on the principle of it) yet i've never felt that strongly about it to force others in public to act in a certain way. I'm not keen on smoke but then i'm not keen on seeing sick all over the streets at 3am from girls dressed in the bare minimum. I don't approve of gay prides either and wouldn't like to see one, but I wouldn't ban it. I'm actually glad the smokers are ignoring these strange social engineering rules that are thrown at us all of the time now..... from smoking to 'healthy eating'.

Inseriousity.
07-03-2014, 06:02 PM
playground? how old are these kids?! Would really help to know, I think you'd deal with secondary school kids differently than college students.
As you said playground, I'll assume secondary school kids (although a bit confused why a secondary school would have designated smoking areas) so yeah taking the cigarettes off them seems the obvious.

Kardan
07-03-2014, 06:11 PM
I haven't ever tried a cigarette (won't on the principle of it) yet i've never felt that strongly about it to force others in public to act in a certain way. I'm not keen on smoke but then i'm not keen on seeing sick all over the streets at 3am from girls dressed in the bare minimum. I don't approve of gay prides either and wouldn't like to see one, but I wouldn't ban it. I'm actually glad the smokers are ignoring these strange social engineering rules that are thrown at us all of the time now..... from smoking to 'healthy eating'.

It was silly to suggest that he gets rid of the anti-smoking policy when its the law.

I had a teacher that would leave the classroom if he saw anyone smoking near his window (his class faced the back of school property) and he just snatched the cigarette off them and threw it away and called student support.

mrwoooooooo
07-03-2014, 09:38 PM
needs more context, college? primary?

Zak
08-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Sorry everyone for not explaining this better! I'm talking specifically about a college! Most of the kids will be 16+

Empired
08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Oh. If they're 16+ just take the cigarettes off them every time. Hopefully they'd want to stop because the more they smoke there, the more expensive it gets for them if they keep having to buy more.

Kyle
08-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Any idea of the reasons why they're not using designated areas? Perhaps work from there. Make every effort to present the designated smoking areas as a better option than smoking just outside doorways by not only informing them properly of the effect it has on others. these rules are clearly in place for some reason? make them aware of it.

Zak
10-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Any idea of the reasons why they're not using designated areas? Perhaps work from there. Make every effort to present the designated smoking areas as a better option than smoking just outside doorways by not only informing them properly of the effect it has on others. these rules are clearly in place for some reason? make them aware of it.

My guess about them not smoking in designated areas is that there just trying to be difficult and it's cool for them to rebel I guess. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!