PDA

View Full Version : GCSEs at College

Aiden
30-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Hey again. Another dull Q for you.

If I go to college and do A-Levels for something I already have a GCSE in, would it be possible for me to do a new GCSE as well? Do colleges allow you to do GCSEs? :/

My choices were pretty bad and I think I need another decent GCSE...

Sorry I don't really know much about how things work. :(

lemons
30-03-2014, 12:23 AM
in my sixth form they only let you do maths/english gcse if you failed it in secondary school

anyway this is something you need to ask the college you're applying for

dbgtz
30-03-2014, 12:28 AM
Depends on the college probably. Mine only did it out of hours and was very limited.

Kyle
30-03-2014, 12:54 AM
not many colleges allot time to gcses during day so u would probably be going to night school. not sure what your reasoning behind wanting more gcses is if you're getting alevels anyway, they become pretty much obsolete once u get ur alevels anyways. imo focus on doing the bst you can in alevels and put your gcses to one side. also worth bearing in mind that having a gcse in something does not always fully prepare you for it at high lvls so give it a go before u decide on taking up extra subjects

MKR&*42
30-03-2014, 01:58 AM
In my college you could do a hell of a lot of GCSEs (even lots that weren't at school), it does depend on the college. In mine nearly all the GCSE classes were in the day and they did actually have some regular classes for 14-16 year olds who wanted to study a GCSE at college as well as some in school.

My college was veryyyyyy varied in courses as you can tell, but yeah its gnna differ.

Kyle's already covered up the little usage of GCSE after college, so I'd advise only doing it if you need it to do another AS Level (that you wanna start in year 2) or if its something you have a small interest in.

--
Just checked and these are all the gcses my prev. college offer :P

Astronomy GCSE
Biology (GCSE)
Chemistry (GCSE)
Computing (GCSE)
Economics (GCSE)
English Language (GCSE)
Film Studies (GCSE)
French (GCSE)
Geography (GCSE)
Geology
German (GCSE)
Greek (Classical) (GCSE)
History (Ancient) (GCSE)
History GCSE
Italian (GCSE)
Latin (GCSE)
Maths (GCSE)
Media Studies (GCSE)
Music (GCSE)
Photography (GCSE)
Physics (GCSE)
Psychology (GCSE)
Religious Studies (GCSE)
Science (Core) (GCSE)
Sociology (GCSE)
Spanish (GCSE)
Statistics (GCSE)

The German teacher I had in college was also trying to get Dutch as a GCSE too :P

Aiden
30-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Atm the only GCSE I am doing is:

Maths
English (I think there's two for this? I'm not sure)
Science (Maybe additional)
Drama
Photography

So as you can see, besides the core subjects the other two will generally only be useful if I want to do a a-level which relates to them. I'm also doing b-tec in ICT, dance and business studies but I don't think b-tecs look good. This is why I want to take another GCSE which might increase my knowledge or w.e. It's not a very group. :(

But thank you.

Cerys
30-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Well you're off into year 11 next year yeah, so ask your school if you can do two gcse courses in a year.

It depends on your a levels though, if you can get onto your chosen courses without the extra gcses then don't bother getting the extras, it'll be a waste of time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sian
30-03-2014, 08:22 AM
The only GCSE I'd suggest you look into is science.

English and maths will always be important, but a fair few places like to see science too. Otherwise it's not too much of a biggy as you got 5 of them anyway.

Kardan
30-03-2014, 10:30 AM
GCSEs are useless as long as you get 5* A-C including English, Maths (and maybe science).

lemons
30-03-2014, 10:41 AM
why dont u just do another gcse in year 11

Kardan
30-03-2014, 10:43 AM
How many A-Levels are you thinking about doing anyway?

Zak
03-04-2014, 08:34 AM
GCSEs are useless as long as you get 5* A-C including English, Maths (and maybe science).

This.

Employers are usually only interested in your highest qualification.

My College offers GCSE qualifications. If you're doing an A-Level in the GCSE you're looking to retake there's no point.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!