PDA

View Full Version : Are you an 'Amber Gambler'

scottish
15-04-2014, 11:24 AM
As you probably know, going through amber light is illegal (unless you're already over the stop line or you're close enough that stopping could cause a collision)

Do you go through amber lights and risk it, or do you always stop at amber? (talking about Green > Amber > Red, not Red > Amber > Green)

Have you ever got in trouble with it?

Do you know that it's illegal to go through an amber?

If you do why do you, impatience?

Futz
15-04-2014, 12:00 PM
the places I drive there's really not all that many traffic lights so I havent encountered this sitation enough

I wouldn't ever do it if it was a pedestrian crossing but if it's just one where theres another set of lights to let cars come through I'd probably do it if it just changed and i'm going a speed where it's not a problem - theres usually quite a bit of delay between one going red and one going green

but there has been times where I've floored it to get through a green that I can see from a distance and has been for a while

Kyle
15-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Does Amber gambling count for pedestrians? There were a lot of traffic lights on my way to college ad I would always try to get there without stopping even if it meant speeding across the road while the cars were revving up. Felt like I was playing irl frogger.

I don't drive but my dad and brother always run through amber lights lol

~~from phone

Amberr
16-04-2014, 02:54 PM
I'll admit i'm terrible at going through a yellow light when I should probably slow down. I am quite impatient. I'm a true 'amber gambler'

Kardan
16-04-2014, 03:00 PM
And this is the reason why I always wait for the cars to stop, even if the traffic lights are on red.

Absently
16-04-2014, 03:10 PM
yeh i always go through them 'cus a lot of the lights around here only let a car or two out and it bugs me sooo much. never been in trouble for it tho.

Jordan
16-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Yes but that's because if I stopped I would of killed the brakes. Never been told off though and I get use to the traffic lights that I go to regularly so you know if they are going to change to red or green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingJesus
16-04-2014, 11:04 PM
If I'm close then yeah because I think it's gonna be more dangerous if I suddenly slam the brakes. Went through a bit of dubious one earlier but I was the last in a line of cars and it didn't make any difference to anyone I was long gone by the time the green man flashed up for the crossers

Phil
17-04-2014, 12:34 AM
I would normally stop if I saw it turn amber as long as I thought it would be safe to do so but there's been a few times when I booted it through if I was in a rush or something. As cupcake; said, some of the traffic lights in Waterford are green for like 5 seconds and then have to wait five minutes so it's hard not to be impatient sometimes lol

Omg Kelly the ones by Yellow Road are so bad :@

FlyingJesus
17-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Ugh so many sets of lights in my town where if you're going out of a certain road (they tend to be at crossroads and stuff other than school ones) you get literally 2 cars out before they decide to change, gets so annoying. Also one of our rail crossings is genuinely the worst in the country, fab claim to fame. It has 6-way traffic lights as well as a short platform so trains often stick out across it when they stop at the station. Not uncommon to wait 20 minutes to get across and that's if you're at the front of the queue

Absently
17-04-2014, 07:48 AM
I would normally stop if I saw it turn amber as long as I thought it would be safe to do so but there's been a few times when I booted it through if I was in a rush or something. As cupcake; said, some of the traffic lights in Waterford are green for like 5 seconds and then have to wait five minutes so it's hard not to be impatient sometimes lol

Omg Kelly the ones by Yellow Road are so bad :@

Yellow road is one of the worst places which I try to avoid at all costs. There are far too many lights and none last long enough to get one car through let alone a few :/

Firehorse
17-04-2014, 09:56 PM
You guys drive? Wouldn't even consider owning a car in London - probably wouldn't even make it to the amber traffic light in the first place let alone have a chance to go through it.

LiquidLuck.
18-04-2014, 06:00 AM
That was a funny thing I noticed when I moved to Scotland and had already noticed in my visits to London. In the UK, mainly in London, but also here in Edinburgh, people tend to stop when the light goes yellow and just wait for it to go green again. This doesn't happen in Portugal. In Portugal if the light goes yellow it means ''speed up so you make it'' and most of the times what happens if that the cars cross when it's actually already red, so they call it ''toasted yellow'', a nice way to say they did cross with a red light, but had only been red for a second.

e5
18-04-2014, 06:48 AM
I'm an amber gambler, impatient! I usually know the lights around so know time between the other lights etc. I'm pretty safe when doing it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!