PDA

View Full Version : [Question] I was just wondering

Rachel
22-04-2014, 06:55 PM
I was wondering why department managers can't give forum perms? Well I know if they did then Assistant General Manager(Staff) wouldn't be any use but I just wondered why Habbox never worked that way? The fansite I worked about 2 years ago they let the department managers giving perms for their team. Is it because you have someone abusing this right?

Just wondering and Chris is doing a fabulous job I was just saying :) :Heart:

Thread moved by e5 (Forum Super Moderator) from 'Habbox Feedback' as it is better suited here!

Calum0812
22-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Last time I checked if they were given permission to, they could give any forum perms to anyone. So, the HxL manager could set someone to HxHD staff.

Kardan
22-04-2014, 06:58 PM
The only people that are trusted with permissions seem to be Jin, Matt and Recursion I think.

Loads of people have less perms than they should, for example the forum manager doesn't have full forum perms, rare value reporters can't actually update rare values etc. etc.

Sian
22-04-2014, 07:01 PM
it's because they'd then have access to the admin cp, and very few people are trusted with it (which is fair) even if they have very limited power.

Every site i've worked at though only allow the GMs, Owners and FM deal out forum perms. Otherwise managers could give themselves other perms.

e5
22-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Guess it means giving them permission to the admincp and stuff I guess? Not too sure.

I too would be careful with who I trust. You can give someone too much power and they'd be able to ruin the forum. Not saying I don't trust any of our current management whatsoever but if I was the owner of a fansite or any site, I'd naturally be careful with who I trusted

GoldenMerc
22-04-2014, 07:02 PM
would you want 10 more admins, i certainly wouldnt

Mr-Trainor
22-04-2014, 07:03 PM
When v6 first came out, me and -Danube- (both rare values management back then) were able to sort the rare values panel staff perms ourself, but then that was taken away from us. In regards to your comment regarding all managers and from a site owners point of view; 9 managers having ACP access to deal with staff perms as opposed to just an AGM (Staff) is more risky.

e5
22-04-2014, 07:04 PM
The only people that are trusted with permissions seem to be Jin, Matt and Recursion I think.

Loads of people have less perms than they should, for example the forum manager doesn't have full forum perms, rare value reporters can't actually update rare values etc. etc.

Obviously Phil and Chris are too :P

Kardan
22-04-2014, 07:06 PM

Phil definitely doesn't have all the permissions he should, unless they changed that recently.

Rachel
22-04-2014, 07:06 PM
But they would give their team their forum perms not for the other teams. Only their specific team. Yes they can have access and give other perms but they wouldn't be allowed to do so.

As for trusting, I am sure the management here are trusted by now but yeah this could be a risk taken.

Mr-Trainor
22-04-2014, 07:07 PM
I don't think Phil has full acp access judging by a previous feedback thread :P.

- - - Updated - - -

But they would give their team their forum perms not for the other teams. Only their specific team. Yes they can have access and give other perms but they wouldn't be allowed to do so.

As for trusting, I am sure the management here are trusted by now but yeah this could be a risk taken.
It's also the fact that 1) each of the managers would have to be given the acp password and it'd have to be changed every time there's a management change, and 2) there's a lot more people who if hacked a hacker would potentially be able to cause trouble (as opposed to just 1 person as it is atm) :P.

xxMATTGxx
22-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Phil definitely doesn't have all the permissions he should, unless they changed that recently.

Wrong - Phil can remove and add permissions to users.

e5
22-04-2014, 07:10 PM
I don't think Phil has full acp access judging by a previous feedback thread :P.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also the fact that 1) each of the managers would have to be given the acp password and it'd have to be changed every time there's a management change, and 2) there's a lot more people who if hacked a hacker would potentially be able to cause trouble :P.

Thought they meant like ability to give perms and stuff.

Yeah, that was some area to do with the filter with I think like literally matt, jin and sierk has access to. maybe recursion too

Mr-Trainor
Wrong - Phil can remove and add permissions to users.
I don't think he's referring to just giving permissions :P.

xxMATTGxx
I don't think he's referring to just giving permissions :P.

The thread is about permissions though.

Mr-Trainor
22-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Thought they meant like ability to give perms and stuff.

Yeah, that was some area to do with the filter with I think like literally matt, jin and sierk has access to. maybe recursion too
Yeah I think it was that :P.

Shar
22-04-2014, 07:13 PM
The current system is fine

e5
22-04-2014, 07:14 PM
The current system is fine

I don't think that was ever in doubt :P

Rachel
22-04-2014, 07:15 PM
When I was a Radio Manager at another fansite back then, I had access to the ACP yes but when I left all the had to do is remove my forum perms and that was it...they didn't have to change the acp password, unless habbox forum works different.

PS: The system is fine I was just being curious :P

e5
22-04-2014, 07:17 PM
When I was a Radio Manager at another fansite back then, I had access to the ACP yes but when I left all the had to do is remove my forum perms and that was it...they didn't have to change the acp password, unless habbox forum works different.

Was that quite possibly a smaller forum with less departments or what? Too much of a flaw on this forum to ever allow that to happen haha

Rachel
22-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Was that quite possibly a smaller forum with less departments or what? Too much of a flaw on this forum to ever allow that to happen haha

It was one of the oldest Habbo fansites made and was quite popular back then. They recently lost their official status.
I was Radio Manager way before all of this happened. But to be quite frankly, I think it was the only fansite who did this.

Mr-Trainor

They wouldn't have to, but for security purposes it'd be best not to keep it the same :P.

xxMATTGxx

Yeah I would never allow every single department manager to have access to ACP. That is a huge no in my eyes and we have had issues before when a manager has decided to leave with a bang and cause issues somewhere on the line. Forum permissions can be quite tricky depending on what has been set up and we use various usergroups and access masks which may or may not confuse people. That's why we leave permissions to people who know what they are doing.

The Staff AGM also double checks each hiring that takes place at Habbox to make sure that the people who are getting permissions are not people who isn't allowed. (Banned users, DNHL etc etc). As long as the permissions are done witghin 24 hours which 98% of the time they are then it's not a problem and we will continue to use this system until the day Habbox closes.

In regards of the ACP password - We do update passwords for control panels across all Habbox sites a number of times throughout the year.

Rachel
22-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Yeah I would never allow every single department manager to have access to ACP. That is a huge no in my eyes and we have had issues before when a manager has decided to leave with a bang and cause issues somewhere on the line. Forum permissions can be quite tricky depending on what has been set up and we use various usergroups and access masks which may or may not confuse people. That's why we leave permissions to people who know what they are doing.

The Staff AGM also double checks each hiring that takes place at Habbox to make sure that the people who are getting permissions are not people who isn't allowed. (Banned users, DNHL etc etc). As long as the permissions are done witghin 24 hours which 98% of the time they are then it's not a problem and we will continue to use this system until the day Habbox closes.

In regards of the ACP password - We do update passwords for control panels across all Habbox sites a number of times throughout the year.

Yeah and I accept your point of view here Matt and I was just wondering :P
Thanks for answering and no need to post more as it was answered :) thx

lawrawrrr
22-04-2014, 07:36 PM
There's no point in giving managers access to ACP, like everyone's said, even me and Sam don't have anything to do with that. The system is fine as it is, especially now as perms are actually now done within the space of 24 hours (woo chris). The only time it's ever an issue is when the Staff AGM goes away, but even then it's hardly a big enough deal as Matt will just take over! Way too much of a security risk otherwise; the only time I've ever done perms is fixing odd bits or changing emails/names on the main Habbox site when I had those perms as Content Manager, but it's just not necessary.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!