PDA

View Full Version : Presentations

buttons
23-04-2014, 12:49 PM
can we talk a little about presentations
one of my tutors is obsessed with presentations and makes you do them in every subject she teaches
i have one tomorrow & it's 4 of us for 5 mins so i thought oh that's not bad
but none of them have turned up to last thursdays class or been in uni at all since, so we've not had a chance to make our presentation TOGETHER and they've all decided to send me their work to add into a presentation even tho i don't have PowerPoint and can't get into uni... it's to be in for 5 so im trying to do a ****** OpenOffice one despite the fact i have essays to do too which they've all skived uni to do so have had more time than me. i said imhaving trouble getting it done and they've just completely ignored me obviously hoping i sort it out
anyway, one is at work til 7, one is impossible to get hold of and the other just said she can't make it for the presentation

I AM ANNOYED AND FEEL LIKE BOYCOTTING IT
none of them are helping at all so it's going to be a mess tomorrow!

what do u think of presentations
do u usually sit there/stand with ur notes or can u speak easily without needing to
do u get nervous? people always tell me they're nervous then go up and don't seem it
what makes presentations better or worse for u eg going up first, doing it do a small class etc
should i just not go in and feel guilty even tho they aren't helping me out
tell me your experiences

Kardan
23-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Argh, I hate presentations. Doing a maths degree I don't do many, I had to do a group one last year that was average, but I have one in the coming weeks. On Wednesday we have our practice presentations, and doing that will add 2% to our grade (Woo! So worth it!), and I've not even got around to doing my presentation yet (It's essentially a verbal 10 minute presentation for my dissertation, and I'm still writing the dissertation so can't really start the presentation yet).

Then in 2 weeks time, we have the proper presentation worth 40%. Urgh. It's on 'Using linear congruential generators for random number generation' :(

I always prefer not using notes, because I'll just end up reading it directly and not engaging with people, and usually I find it better to go first, so you spend less time worrying, and other people don't put you off if they're awesome. But I get so nervous, like, worse than exams. I hate public speaking.

And I had to do one for my Uni interview in the group stages, but that went horribly well, I had everyone nodding at me in agreement and got some feedback afterwards where they said they felt that I really knew what I was talking about. I didn't. So I guess you can act good, and it can pay off sometimes.

Absently
23-04-2014, 12:57 PM
wow what complete ******** i'd just take out all their work and be sassy and just say to your tutor they did nothing 'cus essentially they haven't!!

they're okay as long as you know what you're going to say. i've only done one that i can remember of nd it was a few months ago and it was on a topic on anythin i wanted so was easy peasy rly. i wrote out a script nd sorta learnt it so i knew what i wanted to say on the day
do u usually sit there/stand with ur notes or can u speak easily without needing to
i did it on a powerpoint nd cus i had had a script nd knew the script (didnt bother bringing it with me) i knew what i had to say for each slide. i am a rly big chatty person so i find it easy to talk
do u get nervous? people always tell me they're nervous then go up and don't seem it
yeh i was super nervous nd sweating all over the shop my hands were dripping!!
what makes presentations better or worse for u eg going up first, doing it do a small class etc
doing it in a small class deffo makes u feel so much more at ease
will u lose marks if u dont go?? u should show up nd make it obvious it's all your own work like

Kardan
23-04-2014, 12:59 PM
And I'd definitely email the tutor and explain the situation - I imagine you'll still have to do some sort of presentation though. I had a similar issue with my group presentation where they added slides from each individual person and I spent hours making it into one seemless thing, but it paid off in the end, and they actually attended group meetings and what not, so not as bad as your situation.

Matthew
23-04-2014, 01:00 PM
tell me your experiences

I don't mind presentations. Listening to them is okay assuming the speaker is a good one and actually doing them is again okay assuming the topic is one that interests me

I normally stand there with a couple of bullet points just in case, don't normally use them

The most nervous i've been was when I did a presentation during my last job interview for KPMG, was so nervous. Not so much because of the presentation though I don't think but more because I REALLY wanted the job (got it woo)

I like to go up in the middle ish, not first but not last. Find it a lot better doing it infront of a small group as you don't have to make eye contact non stop with one person but then there's not a huge amount of people infront of you to scare you to death :P

Should you go in? Dunno. It seems really unfair that its been dumped on you. I'd probably go in as I don't mind doing them but if its stressing you out and whatnot then I'd just not go, its hardly fair on you.

buttons
23-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Argh, I hate presentations. Doing a maths degree I don't do many, I had to do a group one last year that was average, but I have one in the coming weeks. On Wednesday we have our practice presentations, and doing that will add 2% to our grade (Woo! So worth it!), and I've not even got around to doing my presentation yet (It's essentially a verbal 10 minute presentation for my dissertation, and I'm still writing the dissertation so can't really start the presentation yet).

Then in 2 weeks time, we have the proper presentation worth 40%. Urgh. It's on 'Using linear congruential generators for random number generation' :(

I always prefer not using notes, because I'll just end up reading it directly and not engaging with people, and usually I find it better to go first, so you spend less time worrying, and other people don't put you off if they're awesome. But I get so nervous, like, worse than exams. I hate public speaking.

And I had to do one for my Uni interview in the group stages, but that went horribly well, I had everyone nodding at me in agreement and got some feedback afterwards where they said they felt that I really knew what I was talking about. I didn't. So I guess you can act good, and it can pay off sometimes.
2% pmsl for a module last year 30% of their overall grade was a group presentation, thought it was dumb because u don't know who contributed the most :/
i do get really worried and nervous and idk why because the people are really supportive and everyone gets on well, ive just never liked presentations since my very first one in school and that was only with 3 other people watching. just don't like loads of eyes on me .

wow what complete ******** i'd just take out all their work and be sassy and just say to your tutor they did nothing 'cus essentially they haven't!!

they're okay as long as you know what you're going to say. i've only done one that i can remember of nd it was a few months ago and it was on a topic on anythin i wanted so was easy peasy rly. i wrote out a script nd sorta learnt it so i knew what i wanted to say on the day
i did it on a powerpoint nd cus i had had a script nd knew the script (didnt bother bringing it with me) i knew what i had to say for each slide. i am a rly big chatty person so i find it easy to talk
yeh i was super nervous nd sweating all over the shop my hands were dripping!!
doing it in a small class deffo makes u feel so much more at ease
will u lose marks if u dont go?? u should show up nd make it obvious it's all your own work like

its not graded thankfully but they give feedback so it'd be nice to see. our PowerPoint can only be 2 slides so it's not got much info on it just little pictures and headings to help us but im not going to research their topics to put up bulletpoints for them. only got one persons notes and asked her to condense to headings for the presentation, no reply. 2 of them bring laptops in everyday so could have came to uni and did it today but nah rather drop it all on me cause im only one who even turns up to class

for me i can talk fine but once i **** up n lose where im going with it, that's when i get self conscious and realise people are watching lol. also last presentation she actually stopped me to ask me to speak louder -.-, as psychologists they aren't very understanding that many people find it extremely discomforting, she could have been a bit more tactful but in the end im not going to force myself to speak louder than i can. im even on the disability register for social anxiety but feel i have to do it because 'u need practice for job interviews'. i just don't find presentations an effective learning tool for myself personally cause im too busy worrying about my own to listen to others then once im done get too bored to listen to theirs. had enough experience n still find it uncomfortable, everyone has a weakness and this is mine ugh

havent even done the presentation yet espec as they've not given me anythin to write up, so im missing valuable essay typing time :/ might stay up all night doing essays n sleep in. have never intentionally missed something because don't want to let people down but they've done it to me so y not

@Matthew (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=60298); yh gonna give him an email explaining situation just not gonna be too mean as one is a good friend and the other 2 are parents so guess they have some reason to miss class... Iv also put up the last 4 out of 7 forum answers that we r supposed to do AS A GROUP (which i fb them asking them to do but didnt so i do them..) so im sure the lecturer will realise it's not me not putting in work, n the fact they can check the register cause av not missed one class

Kardan
23-04-2014, 01:36 PM
The 2% is only for attending the practice presentation, the proper presentation is worth 40%, the written dissertation is 50%, 4% from the dissertation outline, 2% for asking someone a question in the practice presentation and another 2% for annotating another person's draft dissertation.

So at the moment I've got 4% of the module done :(

- - - Updated - - -

I also hate the fact that everyone in the group gets the same mark. In our group report (Written report and group presentation) we would get a base grade, and then we would get an adjustment to our grade based on how well everyone in the group ranked each other. Sad thing is, everyone agreed to give everyone equal marks, so everyone would just get the base mark, no matter how much work you did - so I ended up doing loads and two guys did barely anything :/

wixard
23-04-2014, 01:42 PM
i absolutely HATE presentations

first off jen that is such bs, nobody in my course would ever dream of not coming in to do a presentation if it was a group one, it's always a first priority. second, why can't one of them put the powerpoint together? or why don't you use prezi?

i'd consider myself a confident person and i have no problem speaking in front of large groups, i was even on my debate team at school but for some reason the past year i have just had a terrible time with presentations. like i'll go up and not feel that nervous but when i start my voice is SHAKING literally shaking, and when i finish everyone is like 'aww tara' and cuddles me because they think i'm really scared but i'm not even scared of giving presentations what i'm scared about now is my voice shaking!! i don't really prepare anything i'll just read from my slides and add bits myself but i try rush through them otherwise i wont be able to talk anymore

buttons
23-04-2014, 01:53 PM
i absolutely HATE presentations

first off jen that is such bs, nobody in my course would ever dream of not coming in to do a presentation if it was a group one, it's always a first priority. second, why can't one of them put the powerpoint together? or why don't you use prezi?

i'd consider myself a confident person and i have no problem speaking in front of large groups, i was even on my debate team at school but for some reason the past year i have just had a terrible time with presentations. like i'll go up and not feel that nervous but when i start my voice is SHAKING literally shaking, and when i finish everyone is like 'aww tara' and cuddles me because they think i'm really scared but i'm not even scared of giving presentations what i'm scared about now is my voice shaking!! i don't really prepare anything i'll just read from my slides and add bits myself but i try rush through them otherwise i wont be able to talk anymore
yeah i think biggest problem for me is the fact people will see you're nervous, it shows in my face, people are like im so nervous then go up n do fab :@

lucky u because in almost every presentation there will be someone who doesn't turn up lol for my last one 2 didnt turn up out of 5. i personally couldn't do that to someone and would feel so guilty even if i physically couldn't make it, ill most likely go in but what if i go and more than 1 doesn't turn up? i also msged to our fbook group that i was having probs getting PowerPoint up and does anyone else have access. the one who can't come has gone to drs apparently so is going to send me her headings/notes (she said that this morning) my friend is at work and the other hasn't replied so ive just installed OpenOffice and all i can put up is my own and the other girls. im not waiting till 9pm to get their info, add it in then send the PowerPoint in 4 hours late, ive reminded them twice since last week we need it done n can we meet up but they haven't been in uni since before thursday last week

ARTPOP
23-04-2014, 01:53 PM
ugh, i am terrible at presentations! i go so red and embarrassed!

my last one was like 3 weeks ago & i stormed out as soon as it was finished! ughhh disaster!

lemons
23-04-2014, 01:59 PM
i dont have to do any for my a-level subjects luckily (even if i did have to i wouldn't mind because my classes have like 7 people in each of them) but i HATED doing them at gcse UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh so embarrassing

especially in english when u had to do presentations and roleplay which counted for like 20% of the gcse -_-

Mr-Trainor
23-04-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't mind presentations if I've prepared, but having a group that does no work must be so annoying I would just refuse to present with them :/. Luckily when I did one in my first term at uni, before Christmas, my group all got on and we actually did the work and practised so that when we presented it went really well. If you're prepared you'll be less nervous too, but yeah because you said you're group hasn't even been in uni that's really annoying :/.

I would never want to do a presentation by myself to more than 10 people! But yeah I've done group ones pretty much every year multiple times since year 12 so I'm kind of used to doing them, and like I said above if I'm/we're prepared it'll go muchhh better and you'll be less nervous too.

Hmm that depends. At the beginning of year 13 I had to present by myself just to 1 teacher (for epq, some people might know what that is :P) and I had no notes and it went really well. For the presentation I spoke about at the beginning of this post, which was my most recent one, I was definitely more nervous particularly as it was a group of 20-30 and I'd hardly spoken to the majority, but it was a group presentation (5 of us) and we'd all prepared so it was fine, but I did have notes for this one and looked at them every 10 seconds or so when I was speaking.

Yes definitely! But when I know what I'm going to be saying I'm not so nervous. In year 13 I had to do a presentation just me to the teacher and 4-5 people who were in my team for a project, and I didn't practice because I thought it would be easy but it went terribly and I had to make up everything as I went on, and I missed key points but the Q&A went alright at the end lol. But yeah, practice is key. Oh and they could just be hiding their nerves, which I like to think I do too :P!

Presenting to a large class, or a class below (I had to present to year 12s when I was in year 13). Presenting when you don't know the people can be a good thing sometimes but could be a bad thing also, idk :P. Depends on who you're presenting to I guess. I'd rather go second if there's multiple groups presenting, because then I'm able to think through my part of the presentation whilst they're presenting! And ngl if the first group does badly it'd make me less nervous :P.

You should tell your tutor that you've not been able to prepare as they've not been in, maybe, idk tbh :(. But good luck with it whatever you decide to do in the end!

buttons
23-04-2014, 02:03 PM
yeah I said last week after tellin them what we have to do, 'can we meet up this week and get the presentation done, sooner we get it done and more time to practise the better', 'to replies of I have work, I'm not free this week, choose somethin for me to do'
then didnt bother to msg the group when they were free so I did yday to ask them if we can after class but none of them were coming in to class today surprisingly
il just prepare as much as poss n if they haven't it's their fault
@ARTPOP (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=113515); I feel ur pain, i get red when im embarassed in most situations :'(

wixard
23-04-2014, 02:09 PM
i dont have to do any for my a-level subjects luckily (even if i did have to i wouldn't mind because my classes have like 7 people in each of them) but i HATED doing them at gcse UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh so embarrassing

especially in english when u had to do presentations and roleplay which counted for like 20% of the gcse -_-

lol i loved roleplay i remember everyone hated being in a group with me because i would always volunteer my group to go first

Jurv
23-04-2014, 02:14 PM
presentations were my worst nightmare in school, i absolutely hate public speaking. i'm not that bad if i'm in a group and we've all decided what we've gotta say (with notes, couldn't do without omg) but when i'm alone i'm a complete mess. i talk too fast, my voice shakes, i go red in the face! (worst thing ever) and get a lump in my throat :( uh i wish i had confidence to talk in front of people. i'm fine if it's a class discussion it's whenever i'm stood at the front and everyones staring at me

luckily i haven't done one alone since being at college so i dunno if i've improved

Shar
23-04-2014, 02:18 PM
I hate public speaking I would rather write a 3000 word essay than do a presentation in front of the class or anyone else.

ARTPOP
23-04-2014, 02:23 PM
@buttons me too! im sooo awkward irl so presentations and stuff involved speaking to ppl and all is the death of me

Yawn
23-04-2014, 02:49 PM
they r my worst nightmare but ive got so much better at them in last 3 years. tbh i only did presentations in first year and they went well, had none last year, and this year avoided them. still i h8 them even tho ive improved. my voice used to shake as well and trip up on my words and i go red and sweat and get flustered :( yh i just hate having all eyes on me, i can do it just infront of the teacher and if its a group 1 but on my own in front of a big group would be the death of me

umm jen u either need to skive it all together, or u need to go in and do it and face it and say the others did absolutely nothing and that u had an impossible time doing it cos they refused to help - u will look amazing. its unfair cos u also had work to do but u still worked on the presentation and even did their work which made it an even bigger task than it needed to be cos they didnt help. its so selfish. if i had the balls to do the latter i would and it would feel SO GD, i'd also make sure to emphasise how they didnt help and how hard it was :Innocent:

wixard
23-04-2014, 03:02 PM
they r my worst nightmare but ive got so much better at them in last 3 years. tbh i only did presentations in first year and they went well, had none last year, and this year avoided them. still i h8 them even tho ive improved. my voice used to shake as well and trip up on my words and i go red and sweat and get flustered :( yh i just hate having all eyes on me, i can do it just infront of the teacher and if its a group 1 but on my own in front of a big group would be the death of me

umm jen u either need to skive it all together, or u need to go in and do it and face it and say the others did absolutely nothing and that u had an impossible time doing it cos they refused to help - u will look amazing. its unfair cos u also had work to do but u still worked on the presentation and even did their work which made it an even bigger task than it needed to be cos they didnt help. its so selfish. if i had the balls to do the latter i would and it would feel SO GD, i'd also make sure to emphasise how they didnt help and how hard it was :Innocent:

how did you get better if you had none last yr and avoided them this year!!!!

buttons
23-04-2014, 03:02 PM
see people always talk how they go red too but in my class no one does despite how nervous they say they are, except me... i don't do it as bad as i used to, i used to get red cause i was worried about going red.... so now i pretend that doesn't happen n carry on.

one of them has given me notes the other two have again said later, so ATM ive done one slide for me and the one who's contributed and the others can fall on their ass. hopefully they mess up so attn is on them screwin up not me heh

skiving wouldn't be a big deal as it's not marked and we have had feedback throughout the course, just wouldn't want to do that to my group, we should all be there to face the uncomfortableness!!

Yawn
23-04-2014, 03:07 PM
how did you get better if you had none last yr and avoided them this year!!!!

yh i didnt word that very well. the last 1 i ever did at the end of yr 1 i was quite comfortable doing and they'd been improving as the year went on all through 1st year. they all went much better between then and skl/college anyway. i still **** myself b4 i had to do it

just in general speaking in front of class im more happy now and that happens quite a bit naturally at uni where lots of class discussions happen

Becca
23-04-2014, 03:26 PM
i dont really bother worrying about presentations
i'm really good at improvising so say if i cba doing an amazing powerpoint, i just write some basic stuff on it and just speak without notes, if i have a rough idea on the topic i can talk for hours and i just get everyone involved so they're not just sat there like wow this is ****

sex
23-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Publin humiliation. But yeah I do them in every module I have so they don't phase me really though if I mess up it will go to the pits and just downhill from there. We do them lots last year I had one due every week

Calum0812
23-04-2014, 04:35 PM
I love presentations, done properly they can actually be very informative and not boring.
When people use them as a tool to project Wikipedia extracts on the screen, that's when it is boring.

I personally don't get nervous but then again I've done acting and public speaking from a young age through Scouting and what not. I'm also a part of our school's debating team so yeah.

Practice makes perfect and the more you do it, the less scary it becomes! :)

FlyingJesus
23-04-2014, 05:04 PM
I have to do loads because it's pretty much how we get feedback and ideas on how to continue with projects or whatever and it's like 10% of the grading at the end for everything. They're boring usually but not too awkward or w/e, got a bit flustered on my last one because I was actually pleased with the outcome of my work but couldn't think how to explain it all so that was annoying but went ok in the end I think, just wing it I don't write notes and stuff

buttons
23-04-2014, 05:30 PM
2 down -.-

Kyle
23-04-2014, 06:31 PM
i had a lot of presentations at a level and all loads of ppl did was write as much as humanly possible on the screen and read it out loud :l. key to a good presentation is i think writing a few points of interest and expanding on them as u go cos often people are too busy reading screen (if they are actually interested in ur presentation to notice how awkward ur being. i hate presentations just like every1 else but roleplays are the best. luckily only had 1 this year and it was like 5mins and on a topic i could talk for hours about.

could u not have created it in something like prezi rather than wasting time getting powerpoint? dont take the weight of other peoples work on your shoulders just make yours longer if you know that they arent turning up. the more u do on ur own topic the more feedback u will get.

FlyingJesus
23-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Ugh yes never write paragraphs and read it off the slide it's the worst thing to sit through ever especially when you get people who can't even read what they've put so it takes them longer to work it out than the audience

Inseriousity.
23-04-2014, 09:17 PM
dont mind presentations but group presentations are the worst. whoever thought that was a good idea needs to die.
I don't use notes, first presentation I ever did I used notes and I just stared down at them all the time. I've spoke at a few conferences and I do get nervous and if I haven't practiced enough the general ideas of what I'm going to say and my mind goes blank I'm terrible. The best presentation I've ever done is one where I had to design a curriculum and present it to the class. totally nerdy but I really enjoyed it so I was better and more confident at speaking about it.

The Don
23-04-2014, 11:27 PM
can we talk a little about presentations
one of my tutors is obsessed with presentations and makes you do them in every subject she teaches
i have one tomorrow & it's 4 of us for 5 mins so i thought oh that's not bad
but none of them have turned up to last thursdays class or been in uni at all since, so we've not had a chance to make our presentation TOGETHER and they've all decided to send me their work to add into a presentation even tho i don't have PowerPoint and can't get into uni... it's to be in for 5 so im trying to do a ****** OpenOffice one despite the fact i have essays to do too which they've all skived uni to do so have had more time than me. i said imhaving trouble getting it done and they've just completely ignored me obviously hoping i sort it out
anyway, one is at work til 7, one is impossible to get hold of and the other just said she can't make it for the presentation

I AM ANNOYED AND FEEL LIKE BOYCOTTING IT
none of them are helping at all so it's going to be a mess tomorrow!

tell me your experiences

It sucks when you have to do group work with rubbish people who don't pull their weight. I was pretty much the only one speaking for the previous ones i've done as everyone in my group were quite shy and anxious about speaking in front of the class (I have a feeling the teachers were tactically choosing the groups so that there was at least one decent public speaker on each team) . I don't really have a problem with it as I usually know everybody there and I like to go first so everyone else is going to be too busy worrying about their presentation coming up to pay attention to mine. If I had to do a presentation in front of a large group of people I didn't know I would probably find it harder.

Matt
24-04-2014, 01:55 AM
I get myself so nervous over presentations and I can't stand presenting to people in my class. I'll fixate on them until they're over and I actually hate them so much. I've never failed a presentation but I end up being so nervous and a lot of the time just speed through my part. I have a presentation due next Tuesday and they're individual presentations and I hate these the most lmao. They take over my life because I worry about them so much. I'm trying to put off mine at the moment because even thinking about it and preparing it makes me nervous.

buttons
24-04-2014, 09:56 AM
well last night my friend text to say she wasn't coming in. that left me and one other girl, we will call her Lisa. i decided im not risking coming in and having to do all the work when i already have (didnt tell the group i wasnt coming) and knew if Lisa did come in she wouldn't be made to do it alone but at least if she was there it wouldn't look like we planned to boycott the whole thing. well i got text from a friend also in thst class to say no-one in my group turned up!!! Lisa clearly had no plans to come in and let everything fall back to me. sent an email to my lecturer to explain what happened.
so annoyed :@ :@ wish i went in to show it's not cause im incompetent, THEY ARE

The Don; i would so prefer that. ours is basically choose ur friends or get given a number... i didnt choose my group, 4 of us were sat on the same row so went together -.-

Liva
25-04-2014, 01:43 AM
I hate them. I have a quiet voice, I overthink everything, I stutter. :P
My teacher told us we didn't have to present it in front of the class if we REALLY didn't want to, and because I have major anxiety and how I felt about doing it last year was horrific, I told him I didn't want to. Then everyone else didn't want to just because they were lazy and cbf presenting, and my teacher mentioned it in class and made me in particular feel bad because he made it sound as if everyone isn't doing it because they cbf and yeah. :/ I had a legit reason!

And I'm not making assumptions like my teacher did, they're all loud and boisterous people and so I believe they were just being lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kardan
30-04-2014, 11:39 AM
I have my practice presentation in 25 mins and I'm dreading it. I have to explain my dissertation in 10 minutes and it's pretty darn impossible since we have to assume that the audience hasn't taken the same modules as myself. If I speak too fast it's bad but if I don't speak fast enough it's bad... And nobody in my friendship group got put in my presentation group, so I'll be presenting to complete strangers :( I hate final year. I'm going in without any notes, they usually screw me up. Yolo.

wixard
30-04-2014, 11:46 AM
GOOD LUCK KARDAN YOU'LL DO GREAT

buttons
30-04-2014, 11:52 AM
yea **** notes, it is your dissertation, you've spent so much hours on it, you'll be fine ! once u come back tell me the kind of stuff u have to talk about so i know for mine :'( good luck xoxo

Kardan
30-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Dficcndjdiduh. So nervous. This is only the practice one as well. Good turnout pf 6 people so far. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Calling tech support cause the projector doesn't eork. All going well. Seems half of the group arent turning up.

Shar
30-04-2014, 12:44 PM
didnt see the questions woops

I hate them

I need notes

You can tell that I'm nervous because I always stutter and have to repeat myself

I like going up first so I can get it done quick and don't have to worry about it all the whole time and I prefer doing it in front of a smaller class

Make it clear that its all your own work and they didn't help!!!

tell me your experiences
I hate them, I panic, I try and avoid them if I can

scottish
30-04-2014, 01:27 PM
dissertation presentation is fun

we have like 30 students and 10 staff at ours

Shar
30-04-2014, 01:28 PM
is that a viva or something different scottish

scottish
30-04-2014, 01:29 PM
a what?

Shar
30-04-2014, 01:35 PM
https://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/studyadvice/postgraduates/sta-vivas.aspx

scottish
30-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Kinda yeah

You spoke about your research, like your aim, if there was any other related work, what you done what you used, what happened in the end, what can happen in the future, etc

obviously be dif for non comp people as dissertation will be dif as mine was based on programming :P

Kardan
30-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Urgh, meh. It was mixed really.

I thought I spoke well, a bit fast, but I didn't fumble or anything, and this was without notes. Got feedback saying that I was a bit quick through some slides and that I need to take more time explaining, but I got cut off on my last slide as the 10 minute time limit was up. So clearly I need to cut things, but when I asked what to cut to make it fit within the time limit, I was told that everything was good and that I shouldn't cut anything, just expand more on things.

So not entirely sure how I'm supposed to do that. And about the worst thing happened to me really. I was 7th/9th, and all the previous presentations looked pretty crap, and I knew mine looked good. Because I'm on a Maths degree, we have formulas and all sorts everywhere, and I'm not sure if you've attempted to write formulas in office programs, but it's bloody hard, and this is what the others did. I had a plug in for typesetting formulas perfectly and stuff, so I was happy mine would look good.

For some reason, the Lecturer wanted our powerpoints in .PDF format, not .PPT, because apparently she didn't want to waste time with technical hiccups (which was funny because she spent the first 10 minutes trying to connect her laptop to the projector), so we all converted our powerpoints into a PDF and I emailed mine to the lecturer, but either converting to PDF, or emailing the PDF across must have compressed all my images, so all the images were grainy and not very clear - and because literally my whole presentation was formulas and equations, my whole presentation looked pixelated. FML.

I should point out what I'm doing isn't a viva - my dissertation only takes up 10 credits and half a year, whereas usually the dissertation would take up 20 credits and the full year, I opted to do the half dissertation so I could take another maths module, so therefore, I don't have to do a viva, just a class presentation. A viva in my degree at least, is explaining your report in depth for about half an hour to 3 examiners. That sounds a lot worse.

So I can't really tell you what you need to do, but we did get given these guidelines before everyone started:

1. Content (40% of grade)
 Does the talk cover some important concept without being overloaded?
 Is there a clear trajectory to the concepts in the talk?
 Are the motivations from mathematics and/or applications clear?
 Are the key ideas you cover clearly explained?
 Are they illustrated with simple examples and/or diagrams?
 Is the level of the presentation appropriate?
 Can the speaker answer questions on the material after the presentation?

2. Organization (40% of grade)
 Does the introduction provide a compelling motivation?
 Do the main statements and points of the talk come across as such?
 Is the talk clearly structured around them?
 Is the pace of the presentation good?
 Does the speaker finish in time?

3. Presentation (20% of grade)
 Is the speaker engaging?
 Are the visual aids prepared well?
 Are the visual aids used well?
 Is the presenter audible?
 Is the presentation smooth?

Phil
01-05-2014, 01:03 AM
I enjoy them and I'm great at them but I don't like doing group presentations. It's so unfair on my team! I do nothing until like last minute which stresses out my team but I do it with everything! I did 100% for a module a few hours before it was due and got a Distinction. I'm just like "Oh I have loads of time" and then I'm like "OMG IT'S BEEN SIX WEEKS AND IT'S DUE TOMORROW" but I work best under pressure and I always pull it off.

I have notes but it's just keywords. Like I'd have a number and that'll be enough to remember a whole fact like the amount of people with thyroid disease in a certain area after Chernobyl (not random, I did a presentation on Chernobyl lol)

Not really, I'm on stage a lot so used to being in front of people.

Only think that makes it worse is when I'm not interested in the topic. The amount of people or if I go first/last doesn't bother me although I do like to get it done with.

No go in and do it, you'll be great! You're going to outshine them and it'll be clear you're the one who has worked flawlessly on the presentation and they've been doing nothing! Hopefully they're dark horses like me!

Sian
01-05-2014, 08:24 AM
i never really liked doing the, but honestly i was quite good at them all the same. In 3rd year it was a 10 min presentation on your own though, was not fun. And then I'd do a second year module, and it's only 5 mins, and completely go over.

Can't win with presentations.

Matt
01-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Whats a dissertation????

scottish
01-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Whats a dissertation????

Thesis or final year project.

Matt
01-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Thesis or final year project.

Do all Uni courses do them?

scottish
01-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Yes, bachelors masters and doctorate degrees use them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis

Zak
01-05-2014, 05:07 PM
I hate doing presentations but if I had to do one now I don't think it would go badly. I'm just afraid of making an arse of myself :( lol

God
01-05-2014, 11:21 PM
Go to Docs.google.com open up an account. Make a presentation. Then save to computer as PowerPoint. Send/save on usb to uni and ur done. Also can be opened from any computer aslong as u sign into docs account!

-:Undertaker:-
02-05-2014, 02:19 AM
I'm rather good at presentations, the only marked one I ever did I got a first in it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!