PDA

View Full Version : Printed books vs. ebooks

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 01:18 AM
Surveys from many countries show that many readers still prefer the traditional books to electronic ones, mainly when they are student textbooks. There are many pros and cons for both.

For example, if you buy a traditional books, it can last you all your life. If you buy it electronically, not only you have to pay for the device and the book, but it is also probable that you will read it once and not touch it again. Also, it's more likely that you get more focused by reading a hard copy of a book than if you do it in a device that also offers games and such. We can also talk about how it can be better to your health, as staring into a screen for long periods of time damages your eyes.

On the other side, buying ebooks is much better for the planet as it doesn't use the paper that books do, so the carbon emissions are substantially reduced. Also if you do not want people to know what you are reading (imagine you want to read Fifty Shades of Grey on the subway!), you will not want a book with a cover - furthermore surveys have shown that when it comes to erotic romances, most will be purchased electronically.

Finally, I also saw an argument that was about the ability to become a conversation piece if left on the coffee table and it stated ''ability to get you laid'', which I found quite funny since on an ipad/kindle it's extremely low, as opposite of a book.

So what do you think is better? Which one do you use the most?

If you could only choose one to be used in the world for the rest of our lives, which one would it be? Why?

Brad
26-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Since getting my iPad, the chances of me picking up a book now is slim. Though I still like to choose a good book to read once in a while.

Kyle
26-04-2014, 02:03 AM
Reading ebooks is just too difficult for me. Endless scrolling and no real visual gauge of what page I'm at or how long I've got to go. When I'm assigned a few chapters from an unnecessarily loquacious (heh) book from the early 20th century I much prefer to be able to take it slow, highlight, and make annotations. I want to be able to know exactly where what I've written is so I can find it in future and that's something that for me is only possible with a physical copy to be able to memorise. I have piles and piles of printed chapters that I've gone over and over, it's just a matter of being organised and I guess ebooks help some people with that aspect.

A lot of the books I own are non-fiction and have my spider-like scrawls all over them. It's my handwriting and they're my thoughts so the books are mine. It's just not possible, I don't think, to personalise ebooks in that way. A tablet or computer can be personalised, sure, but you can't loan an ebook that belongs to you to a friend to read, you can't take your laptop in the bath and pore over notes. Every book I own has a story of its own, of where I bought it or was given it, of the places I read it and of the others I've let read it. They're physical possessions and ebooks are just files.

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 02:18 AM
I remember needing books for school that since my brother had been in the same school and grade 6 years earlier, I thought he would have, and instead he would tell me the book was actually first bought by our dad, and don't get my started on my Harry Potter books! I mean ''my'', but they have been read by so many people in my family! The first one, oh god. My aunt bought it, then a few years later my brother found out, read it and loved it, since they were both reading it, my mother borrowed the book as well and about 8 years ago it was my turn, with that same copy of that same first book. (Although I was too young to read such a giant book and got bothered easily with all those words I didn't understand haha.)

I will always read my traditional books, never have and don't ever want to get an ebook to be honest. I love reading an old book and the smell it has, it's just priceless! Also I agree about the notes, it's so much easier with a hard copy to know exactly the place in the book where this or that scene happens just by knowing how much you had until the end, and then find notes about that scene that you had written on the book.

jorsian
28-04-2014, 04:43 PM
I think both sides have their own pros and cons, but personally I will always enjoy having the physical copy of a book in my hands. Reading from a computer screen for long periods of time tends to strain my eyes, and I happen to use the computer too much as it is. I'm always happy to step away from it for a moment to read a book.

I don't agree with people who say that e-books are the future. There will always be people, even young people, who enjoy having printed copies of books. I think the notion that they will one day be replaced by e-books or audio books is ridiculous. The future is all about having choices. After all, some people like both methods of reading.

Lewis
28-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Surveys from many countries show that many readers still prefer the traditional books to electronic ones, mainly when they are student textbooks. There are many pros and cons for both.

For example, if you buy a traditional books, it can last you all your life. If you buy it electronically, not only you have to pay for the device and the book, but it is also probable that you will read it once and not touch it again. Also, it's more likely that you get more focused by reading a hard copy of a book than if you do it in a device that also offers games and such. We can also talk about how it can be better to your health, as staring into a screen for long periods of time damages your eyes.

On the other side, buying ebooks is much better for the planet as it doesn't use the paper that books do, so the carbon emissions are substantially reduced. Also if you do not want people to know what you are reading (imagine you want to read Fifty Shades of Grey on the subway!), you will not want a book with a cover - furthermore surveys have shown that when it comes to erotic romances, most will be purchased electronically.

Finally, I also saw an argument that was about the ability to become a conversation piece if left on the coffee table and it stated ''ability to get you laid'', which I found quite funny since on an ipad/kindle it's extremely low, as opposite of a book.

So what do you think is better? Which one do you use the most?

If you could only choose one to be used in the world for the rest of our lives, which one would it be? Why?

As far as I'm aware, by being told by quite a few different opticians, there's no scientific proof that staring at a screen all day damages your eyes. Nor have I seen any! Only that it can give you sore eyes and a headache. They could be wrong though :P.

And I've never had an ebook but I wouldn't mind either. If the book needs to be moved around, such as a textbook for something, then on paper. Other than that, no difference to me!

GommeInc
28-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Definitely printed books. Faster to navigate since you can just open it up and jump around pages. ebooks mostly require you to waste time swiping through pages which isn't what you want in a book. Not forgetting the lack of a smell you get with a good book (new or old). It adds ambiance.

iBlueBox
28-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Printed books.

I love the smell, feel and looks of printed books.

Also I get a sense of achievement after finishing ones and putting them on my bookshelf with my collection.

Phil
29-04-2014, 01:15 AM
Personally I much prefer having printed books. I don't read that often but if I want to read a book, I rather buy it and have it on my shelf. I'm really fussy about the condition of by books too. They have to be in pristine condition. It drives me crazy when the spine is broken :@

In saying that, I'm going back to college next year and my course has a lot of books so I've been thinking about buying an iPad and putting all the books on that instead of carrying around a bag full of books because I'll have my laptop too.

The Don
29-04-2014, 02:16 AM
I like to actually own the book, although most of my reading is done with ebooks as it's way more convenient.

-:Undertaker:-
29-04-2014, 02:24 AM
Printed books, always.

And that also applies to anything I have to read really, I always print stuff out. Easier for me to process when it's on paper.

Calum0812
29-04-2014, 07:13 AM
I'll interject here from a students perspective (yes I do study despite popular belief)!
There are two main reasons I prefer to use my iPad to read books. First is cost. It is so much cheaper to download all of my revision guides, work books and past papers than it would be to buy them (or with past paper print them). Like Phil;, I'm very fussy about books being kept in good condition and it's easily kept to my liking on a device!
Second is space. As a student (YES I DO STUDY), I have a metric **** tonne of stuff to revise and the space that it'd take up in my room would be stupid...
;)

Sian
29-04-2014, 10:16 AM
well, the textbooks thing is because most textbooks aren't ebooks, and also we like to scan text extracts from them which you can't do if it's an ebook really.

But I'm two ways with this, I love having the physical book, but if you read a lot it's cheaper and also easier for when you go on holiday to use ebooks, I only buy a physical book nowadays if it's something I love reading.

karter
29-04-2014, 05:02 PM
scrolling and staring at the screen is just too much for me i'll always prefer printed books

Kardan
29-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Printed, unless it's a book/document for studying.

Derrener
29-04-2014, 05:29 PM
I bought some e-books but didn't really like them. I prefer printed books as i like the feel of them

Shar
29-04-2014, 05:33 PM
I read a lot of ebooks but my eye sight has become quite **** so Im trying to read more paperbacks

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!