PDA

View Full Version : 'Fizzy drinks tax' - Is Government out of control when it comes to influencing food?

-:Undertaker:-
16-06-2014, 12:27 AM
'Fizzy drinks tax' - Is Government out of control when it comes to influencing our food choices?

http://www.yesmesushi.co.uk/uploads/menu/soft-drinks-22-09-12-1348323866.jpg

In recent months, much talk has been over the proposals by both the government, Labour Party and health experts in regards to the possible introduction of a tax on sugar-high foods such as fizzy drinks, sweets and other goods. In such proposals, the aim is said to be to avoid a health crisis in the future as our waist sizes expand massively and diabetes rates continue to rise with every passing decade.

But is this the place of the government to step in and regulate what we consume? Such actions by the state are often questioned as to whether they are workable and will do anything other than raise more revenue for the government through stealth taxation, while the civil liberties question would be what business does the government have in deciding or influencing our food choices as well as involving itself in the free market? On the other hand, as a zero sum game one could also make the argument that in terms of GDP, the increased care costs over the next few decades require pre-emptive state action.

There are plenty of nifty prizes to be won within this forum. Positive contributions towards official debates will sometimes be rewarded with a month's VIP subscription in a colour of your choice as part of the Top Contributor award. As well as this, reputation will be awarded throughout the debate to those who make valid and constructive posts. Those who make the best contributions within a month win the Debater of the Month award and wins themselves a month's worth of forum VIP and 10 reputation points. Finally, those who create debate topics that generate a lot of buzz and engaging discussion will receive 20 reputation points.

The debate is open to you.

lucaskf390
16-06-2014, 03:10 AM
I don't think raising price would help, it would be better if government just regulate factories, no food/drink can have x% of sodium/sugar on your composition. I'd support this decision if it was in discussion in Brazil.

Zak
16-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Raising the price would do absolutely nothing except make it more expensive for the consumer. The companies who produce these sugary-products aren't going to absorb the costs.... it will just cascade down to the consumer like everything else. It's just another ******* stupid ploy to take more and more from their hard-working citizens.

In all honesty, it won't stop people buying them. It wouldn't stop me buying a sugar-filled product. People won't bat an eyelid at a slight increase in price and that's what the government is banking on.

It's an absolute disgrace. Just like the Government's plans to move everything online to "cut costs" knowing full well that majority of the elderly won't have a clue. This country has gone to the dogs.

Sian
23-06-2014, 01:59 PM
I agree with previous statements in this thread. I absolutely hate some of the things they tax. It's getting insane. What they need to do, is focus more on the education of children and their parents/guardians.

I just hate how they believe this is the only way as a government they can make a difference. I also don't agree with regulating the factories, in many ways it's not actually their fault. Having a fizzy drink every now and then is nice, it's only a problem if you go nuts with it, and parents need to start putting their feet down about it.

iBlueBox
23-06-2014, 02:07 PM
I dont agree. Its up to parents to watch kids weight not the government.

dbgtz
23-06-2014, 02:56 PM
I don't see people stopping buying these products in the slightest and is probably just a way to squeeze more tax for more vanity projects. The only way I could see this justified is if they subsidised healthier food with revenue from this (though I still wouldn't approve).

GommeInc
24-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Raising the price for the sake of taxation won't work, people will still buy them and if anything it discriminates against poorer individuals.

Better education would be nice, with parents opting for squash or drinks with less sugar in and using full-sugared drinks as treats only when they're deserved, and even then you don't need to resort to bribery.

It all boils down to moderation, really. Don't drink too many and don't see it as a go to drink.

Danny
25-06-2014, 02:09 PM
This is just another scheme to get money out of people. I don't like Coca-Cola that's not made in GB, I can always taste the difference even if you give me glass of it without showing me the tin, but I can see people trying to smuggle in fizzy drinks like they do with cigs in the end if this comes in.

I enjoy fizzy drinks, i'm not overweight or anything even though I enjoy a large amount of takeaway food, if anything I still get told i'm underweight. Now, why should I pay extra because other people cannot control themselves when it comes to sugary items or fatty foods?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!