PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2014!

RealClifford
02-07-2014, 05:19 AM
So, unsure how many people care about the tennis, but today is a proud moment for us Aussies!

Nick Kyrgios, a young bloke still on his way up the rankings pulled a magnificent victory over World No. 1 Rafael Nadal overnight in 4 sets!
He is only ranked 144 in the world, soon to be much higher after this tournament is over though.

He won the match in 4 sets going 7-6(7/5), 5-7, 7-6(7/5), 6-3

Nicks words after the match describe how he got the guts to play such a match stating that his mother didn't believe he could beat Rafa. Stating "I was reading a comment that she thought Rafa was too good for me. It actually made me a bit angry. You would think he’s in a whole other level compared to me. I just believed in myself that I could create some opportunities"

He played what is arguably the shot of the tournament and possibly the year with an absolute stunner between his legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DJgHwseiDI

Come on Aussie! Come on!

e5
02-07-2014, 07:04 AM
I knew an Aussie was gonna pipe up and make this thread! :p watch the game and he was quite good. He aced nadal 30 odd times. But usually on rally's, nadal was more competent. Guess he just was better on the day!

Kardan
02-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Been watching him through the tournament, his match against Gasquet was incredible, he saved 9 match points (a record for the Men's draw) and won the match, I thought he had a chance to beat Nadal (I mean, Nadal has lost a set in every match so far), but wow. He did great.

The Sharapova/Kerber match was also crazy! Great tennis. As always, I'm rooting for Andy Murray and Sabine Lisicki, hoping Lisicki can go one better this time. She did well to knock out Ivanovic but struggled against Shvedova, so hopefully everything is all right against Halep today.

CrazyLemurs
02-07-2014, 09:27 AM
I've kind of enjoyed seeing Serena and Li Na both lose early on, as it shows them to not be these untouchable figures like Serena especially thought she was. I suppose that is shown by Nadal losing, too. At least the ranking points the top of the table are losing should make things more even; Serena is now down to like 8,000 and Li is on 5,500~; Halep can climb a bit too if she does well!

Kardan
02-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Lisicki got thrashed :( Her serve had issues from yesterday, but bleh :(

Kardan
02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
And Murray. Clearly I shouldn't support anyone because they lose as soon as I mention them :(

dbgtz
02-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Gutted Murray didn't make it. It didn't seem like he was aggressive enough so maybe he'll learn from today and take that forward into the next grand slam/Wimbledon.

Also:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrjWHJ-CQAAZnvp.png:large
For god sake BBC.

Kardan
02-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Gutted Murray didn't make it. It didn't seem like he was aggressive enough so maybe he'll learn from today and take that forward into the next grand slam/Wimbledon.

Also:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrjWHJ-CQAAZnvp.png:large
For god sake BBC.

What's wrong with that?

lemons
02-07-2014, 06:34 PM
he is british in one and a scot in the other maybe

lol everyone on twitter saying he is scottish again because he lost

Kardan
02-07-2014, 06:35 PM
he is british in one and a scot in the other maybe

Says he's British in the second one as well?

lemons
02-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Says he's British in the second one as well?

yh but i guess ppl moaning cus its written by the same person

lucaskf390
02-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Federer defeated Wawrinka, great match for Roger. Semi-finals are going to be quite easy for Roger and harder for Nole. Hope Federer win the title.

Kardan
02-07-2014, 07:04 PM
yh but i guess ppl moaning cus its written by the same person

So people are moaning because not every article mentions he's Scottish?

Suicune
03-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Although Kyrgios lost this morning, as an Aussie i'm extremely proud of him by getting to where he was. He has a really good head on his shoulder as well as plenty of support from his family. Hopefully he stays grounded unlike someone else.

RealClifford
03-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Well that article had him as a Briton in the title and a scot in the actual article... Lol

But yeah, although he lost this morning. He still took a set from him, but he was pretty wrecked from the Nadal game. It was obvious.
He couldn't get a read on his serve either. I lost count of the Aces.

Amazing effort for him though. This tournament is a MASSIVE confidence booster for him.
He showed huge potential at the Australian Open in January, so glad to see he is improving and living up to the expectations people put on him then.

If he stays the way he is and continues growing his stamina and endurance, I think he could be a big figure in the top rankings.
Sad to see our other potential big guy Tomic do what he has done.
Hopefully Kyrgios learnt from Tomic's mistakes and that will spur him on to be better and the #1 Aussie.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!