PDA

View Full Version : Is the Television finished?

-:Undertaker:-
30-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Is the Television finished?

http://images.bwbx.io/cms/2013-04-08/0408_aereo_630x420.jpg

With the coming of the television age into America in the 1960s and before, and more so Britain during the 1960s and 1970s during the Harold MacMillan "You've never had it so good!" consumer era, television has become a staple of homes up and down the country and we know think of the television as being as essential as say the fridge or toaster is. But is this all coming to an end? With the advent of the internet and computers during the 1990s, digital media has grown at an amazing speed and during the past few years many television channels have found themselves being directly challenged by well-funded outsiders on the internet much as Fox News challenged the media consensus in America during the 1980s.

So is television finished as we, especially the younger generations, all begin to glue ourselves to our computer screens as we leave the older folks to the living rooms? Or is it the case that television and television channels are adapting themselves and becoming more flexible (such as Sky+, Virgin OnDemand) as there will always be a market for a family setting?

There are plenty of nifty prizes to be won within this forum. Positive contributions towards official debates will sometimes be rewarded with a month's VIP subscription in a colour of your choice as part of the Top Contributor award. As well as this, reputation will be awarded throughout the debate to those who make valid and constructive posts. Those who make the best contributions within a month win the Debater of the Month award and wins themselves a month's worth of forum VIP and 10 reputation points. Finally, those who create debate topics that generate a lot of buzz and engaging discussion will receive 20 reputation points.

The debate is open to you.

Jssy
30-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Televisions are still used to watch TV but not as much. I personally bought a wide screen tv and barely use it, my mum paid for aerial installation in my room and I barely use it. I use netflix on laptops, tablets and occasionally on my TV via xbox.

Decades ago families would sit down as a family to watch TV and that was the norm and now that doesn't happen as much. We're not controlled by a TV schedule, thanks to catch up services we can now watch shows whenever we want on any device which brings the decline of the TV.

xxMATTGxx
30-07-2014, 10:54 AM
People will always want to be able to watch something on a big screen in their home whether that is in the living room or bedroom. This is where the television comes into it - Now what it is connected to has changed over the years and will continue to change. As more and more people like the on-demand services and also like to subscribe to NETFLIX. I think the broadcasting companies know this and that's why they have put money into BBC iPlayer, 4oD and all the other on-demand services the other channels support.

Seeing as your cable boxes can also connect to these on-demand services and also a lot of them can now support apps which will enable to watch Netflix on the TV as well.

It's changed, it's not coming to an end though. It's been made easier so you can watch what you want, when you want it. Rather than sticking to a specific date/time like you would have done a good few years ago before on-demand services came about.

Jssy
30-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Thats the reason why cinemas continue to bring out new technology as they know people want the latest technological experience. I do agree they're not coming to an end, with smart TV's manafacturers bringing what the consumer wants. TV's in my opinion though are just getting used less than they used to be definitely. With further viewing technology TV's could be on the increase again but right now different services and platforms have changed that allowing us to stream from virtually anywhere.

The Don
30-07-2014, 12:12 PM
We are currently living in a golden age of television. The quality of shows is currently on par with feature films, and A-List celebrities are even starring in shows, which before was unheard of. Shows such as Game of Thrones, Mad Men, House of Cards and Breaking Bad highlight just how good television is at the moment, where the average budget per episode for Game of Thrones is around $7-8 Million, meaning an entire season is just short of 100 Million Dollars, a figure, which before would seem absurd for a television show. Cable on the other hand is a dying medium, as we are currently seeing with the rise of streaming services such as Netflix. People don't want to have to pay for channels they don't want to watch, and if the cable companies don't attempt to change with the times they will meet a similar demise to the one that Kodak suffered when they refused to adapt to digital cameras.

FlyingJesus
30-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Do you mean the television set itself because there's absolutely no reason to assume there's any sort of decline in the quality or consumption of television production and viewing; people are more interested now in series and ongoing sets than singular films as shown by how many modern films are essentially themselves just one episode of a long season of the same story

Jssy
30-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Do you mean the television set itself because there's absolutely no reason to assume there's any sort of decline in the quality or consumption of television production and viewing; people are more interested now in series and ongoing sets than singular films as shown by how many modern films are essentially themselves just one episode of a long season of the same story
I assumed the debate was on the television set itself not production but other services like Netflix & Lovefilm definitely impact upon it

iBlueBox
30-07-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm confused,

Is the debate about television sets themselves or how the content of television is declining or the way we watch television?

Lewis
30-07-2014, 08:02 PM
It probably will come to an end. Perhaps all a TV will be in the future is a big screen that connects to your computer or something (which already basically exists, I know). However, I very rarely watch things on my laptop and stick to the actual TV for it, not including youtube obviously.

I can't see it being removed completely in the future, only changed to adapt to how we use new technology.

P.S I only read the title or something so ya, dnno if I'm answering it right lol

-:Undertaker:-
30-07-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm confused,

Is the debate about television sets themselves or how the content of television is declining or the way we watch television?

Both.

James
31-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Depends if you turn it off

Aiden
06-08-2014, 01:17 AM
I very rarely watch an actual TV... However, I do watch channel's shows online through services like iPlayer. Like a lot of people on this forum, I have more than one monitor so it's easy to display my Facebook feed and a full screen on another. Also some computer screens are getting to the sizes of TV screens. Don't TVs also have internet access now too? So it's basically becoming another computer.

idk though.

Plebings
09-08-2014, 01:43 PM
i don't think the tv as a format is dying, we may be using our personal devices but when it comes to activities multiple people can take part in nothing can really compare to having all your family or mates round to play games, enjoy a movie or watch the british bake off. i think tv is heading in the right direction by focusing more on the internet with services like netflix and channels on demand.

i don't believe this will be a generation thing either, at the moment our main priority will be spending time on our laptops and phones talking to friends, but as we get older and get more involved in relationships and family it's hard to imagine everyone sat in the living room all ignoring each other.

television stations themselves is a different matter, for now they are pretty safe but i can imagine in 20/30 years time the focus on online services and not broadcast. i still enjoy watching tv as (weird as it sounds) i like feeling the sense of community with many other people watching along with me, i'm also really awful at making decisions so having my options cut down makes it much easier. i think tv will end up like the state of music at the moment, less focus on the big brands and seeing a lot more independent films and shows.

james,
10-08-2014, 02:50 AM
I don't think the format is dead of TV yet, I think the whole concept of watching TV is just stupid to be fair now though because you can just watch it online without any ads etc. With Sky+ etc and on demand... people don't watch the actual programs when it's live, but I don't think it's dead yet, personal opinion.

soaf
10-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Clearly, TV is not officially dead as most people tend to watch it. But online? If most TV show were online, what would the fan think? They would say ''Wow, You really place this online?''. Mostly, it depend on it but seriously people would GO crazy if there favorite TV show no longer aired on TV and it just be online which will be terrible.

MotorStefan95
12-08-2014, 03:53 PM
I don't believe that the tv is a dying format, maybe the normal way of watching TV channels. I think TV is going in the direction of TV boxes and subscription services such as Netflix. I have noticed that I do not watch TV channels as much as I used to, and instead stream videos from YouTube to my TV to watch them on a bigger screen.

Honor-Branch
20-08-2014, 09:52 PM
i dnt use the tv anymore cuz i have a computer but idk about everybody else

hairpins
20-08-2014, 11:57 PM
no itz nawt eye wash it everidaii stil it wil bi stil hear in 3000 yers 2

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!