PDA

View Full Version : Facebook + Employment

Danny
05-08-2014, 01:21 PM
I inadvertantly got my brother in trouble at work with what I see was an innocent comment. I don't even work at the same company, however my brother put up a post complaining about receiving texts everyday from his work [Mass text sent to all employee's by the sounds of it] about being neat and tidy and having their shirts tucked in. Well from what he tells me in his job [Works for a private ambulance company] he sits in his ambulance driving for hours [Has travelled to Isle of Wight and Wales in the past, from London] And I basically said I'm not getting the point about shirts being tucked in if you're sat down all day.

His original comment, I feel was worse than my comment, yet they quoted my comment to him.

So i'm highlighting this to remind people that you must NEVER comment about your work or anyone else's work because somebody with too much time on their hands will find something to take offense at! :rolleyes:

j0rd
05-08-2014, 01:25 PM
ok ta

Futz
05-08-2014, 01:28 PM
what was the comment

people shouldn't have rats on facebook

Jssy
05-08-2014, 01:52 PM
It is a bit obvious not to slate your employer though, is his facebook not private? or does he have his work on facebook?

Danny
05-08-2014, 01:55 PM
I can't see the original comment now by my brother, because I suspect my mum has told him to remove me off FB. Oh well :D.

IzzyUhh
05-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Facebooks kinda not safe to make those sorts of things on there. It happend to my friend and they got questioned next day at work

Danny
05-08-2014, 02:14 PM
But the fact is, they chose MY comment. It's not like they can control what I say? I wasn't rude or anything I just questioned the need to have a shirt tucked in while in a hot ambulance most the day.

Danny
05-08-2014, 02:31 PM
It is a bit obvious not to slate your employer though, is his facebook not private? or does he have his work on facebook?

He was friends with somebody who's mother sent him the text... and I get the blame? lol.

Mr-Trainor
05-08-2014, 05:37 PM
I'd never slate where I work publicly, it's just unprofessional. However, as for slating where someone you know works (what you say you did), it's a little strange that they quoted your post as opposed to his - maybe it was a mistake?

Danny
05-08-2014, 06:00 PM
I'd never slate where I work publicly, it's just unprofessional. However, as for slating where someone you know works (what you say you did), it's a little strange that they quoted your post as opposed to his - maybe it was a mistake?

That's what I was thinking, I am not sure how they could punish somebody for something that somebody else says, it would be like someone saying to me, "LOL you work in Home Bargains, that's such a s**t job" and then me getting in trouble for it.

e5
05-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Yh never **** work off on fb

Phil
05-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Yeah that was a really silly thing to do lol

Sharon
06-08-2014, 12:36 AM
some1 ******* off a company on here or somethin and i think it came back to get them, so many employers these days will scour the internet for stuff like this not just on fb either

best thing to do is just to say it in person and not online at all or be decent n not at all

Zak
06-08-2014, 07:59 PM
It's a shame that its got to this but it was inevitable. :(

BlueEyedSarah
07-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Facebook shouldn't be used as a journal, if someone has personal feelings about work why post it on line for the world to see? Especially when you know you have your work colleagues on your friend list who will obviously see the post.

auffant1
09-08-2014, 04:53 AM
As a rule of thumb for myself I generally just don't post anything due to the possible repercussions down the road from employers and potential colleges :P. It has happened where people are turned away from stupid posts when they were young.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!