PDA

View Full Version : What did you do your dissertation on

buttons
02-09-2014, 12:57 PM
or what would u do?
post what you're studying/studied, your title and maybe give a summary

i do social sciences and wanna look at internet usage on mental health, not sure which direction to go but it'll probably include arguments for and against, whether those vulnerable to mental illness are more likely to use the internet or if internet usage itself may be a factor in creating mental illness. it'll be qualitative so there isn't going to be a summary of what we can conclude, just talk about various explanations.

Kardan
02-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Mine was only a 'half-dissertation', essentially half the size and half the work of a normal dissertation, so I could take another module in Maths basically.

It was titled: Using linear congruential generators for random number generation.

If you haven't realised, its for my Maths degree. Essentially I had to build my own random number generator in a coding program and pretty much prove it was a good random number generator by creating samples of random numbers and carrying out statistical tests to show the randomness of my data. Also briefly described what makes it random, what its used for in the real world etc.

Chippiewill
02-09-2014, 01:33 PM
How many numbers could you get out of a seed before it repeated?

Kardan
02-09-2014, 01:41 PM
I was able to create a generator with maximum period (and there's a theorem to allow you to identify generators with a maximum period), so if for example you wanted a number generator to generate a number between 0 and 1000, then you could set it so it would generate each number between 0 and 1000 before repeating.

Inseriousity.
02-09-2014, 01:42 PM
like aiden i did a half-dissertation (5000 words instead of 10,000) but I did two (joint honours student).

theology
testing the sociological theory of 'believing not belonging' amongst young people to determine whether secularisation is occuring or not. there's this likert scale that some research theorists developed. I think I posted the survey on here actually for people to fill out and I can't even remember my findings lmao all those essays are a blur now.

education
an examination of NEET policy and arguing for an early intervention approach (my title was 'Putting the Education back into NEET Policy') as policies tended to focus on waiting til they were in that NEET cycle (back to work/training schemes etc) rather than identifying at-risk NEETs and dealing with the issue there.

scottish
02-09-2014, 02:00 PM
You've read mine :P

Kyle
02-09-2014, 02:07 PM
You've read mine :P
what's yours on

I haven't decided yet. impression management has always been one of my main areas of interest so probably that. catfishing dissertation here we come

FlyingJesus
02-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Legal and social ramifications of dogmatic sexism in Western civilisation

It's fun loads

j0rd
02-09-2014, 02:58 PM
i do computing and want to do something related to Motorsport but i have no idea what yet

Matt
03-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Don't think we have them over here :S

lRhyss
03-09-2014, 08:29 AM
I do my Uni one next year, however, my college made everyone write one as "practice" :/

We could choose any topic we wanted, I did mine about North Korea :P

- - - Updated - - -

i do computing and want to do something related to Motorsport but i have no idea what yet
A lot of technology is used in some types of racing, such as F!, why not try something like:

The impact of technology on the moter sport industry.

Sounds so cliche, but, it's early for me :'(

Charz777
03-09-2014, 09:53 AM
I produced optimisation Matlab code to generate an optimal race strategy for a Formula One driver at a particular race.

Basically, it combined the data from previous races with pit-stop times etc to calculate what strategy is best with certain tyre types etc. And then after assessing all possible combinations, derive the fastest total race time.

It was over 16k words.

And I had to do a viva voce which was unpleasant to say the least :P

Got a First though, so I'm not complaining :P

j0rd
03-09-2014, 12:35 PM
I do my Uni one next year, however, my college made everyone write one as "practice" :/

We could choose any topic we wanted, I did mine about North Korea :P

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of technology is used in some types of racing, such as F!, why not try something like:

The impact of technology on the moter sport industry.

Sounds so cliche, but, it's early for me :'(

yeah something along the lines of that I wanted to do, or a program that calculates and extracts data from lap times or something idk

JACKTARD
05-09-2014, 01:53 PM
I do my dissertation this year, 14,000 words on 'The Physics of Climate Change'. So basically I guess it'll include everything on it. I study Physics and Maths and it was my first choice of title :).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!