PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

Richie
21-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Whether it be for school, uni or just in general, how did you get work experience? Did you enjoy the placement you accepted? & What sector was the placement in?

Any work I had definitely helped me, most companies demand some sort of work experience or you get shunned. I have worked in factories, a butchers, retail, a local radio station & catering and I can't say I enjoyed them all but I wouldn't say I regret experiencing work in these sectors.

Have you had any bad experiences?

Jssy
21-09-2014, 10:40 AM
My first work experience wss a few years ago, I did work experience with the teacher who taught me in Year one and I knew her very well as my grandad used to deliver to her farm before he died, and I played at her house a few times. Was really good, I didn't go direct to her for it, school just placed me with her which was a co-incidence. I also got to spend time with my headteacher whilst there just before she retired which was really good, was nostalgic haha.

I'm now hoping to get work experience on a labour ward or in a hospital.

Kardan
21-09-2014, 10:50 AM
I had work experience in a primary school, definitely helped me. Not only taught me things, but it was good experience for my future applications.

Shar
21-09-2014, 11:32 AM
I had to have work experience to get into my course so I just applied for a job in a care setting and it was actually quite good as it gave me some insight into shift work etc

Matt
21-09-2014, 11:44 AM
I've never done work experience. I left my school in England the year before they all got to do it, then over here you have to be in the Vocational training pathway in order to complete work experience. So i've never actually done it!!

Chloe7355
23-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Done work experience in July at a Vets which was quiet good actually :) xo

Hannah
23-09-2014, 06:35 PM
My first work experience was at senior school when I was a sales assistant thing at Boots during the Christmas period. It was awful.

I then did about 2 months during June and July after finishing senior school in my school where I helped out in the special needs year 7 and 8 classrooms - that was pretty good though being an LSA never really came in handy as I didn't go to uni. ;p

Gina
23-09-2014, 06:41 PM
i had my yr11/10 one like 8th til 12th september!

to get it i looked up places near me and found one i thought was good n suited me
phoned up and asked
then we met n filled in forms and yeh haha

was my first one and i really enjoyed it! i was working in a place where people with mental and learning disabilities live and everyday they do diff things so we went dancing LOTS like for people with similar disabilities and went to some cafe for people with disabilities and regular cafes n shopping n mcdonalds and stuff like that
wasnt really work experience to know how it feels to work in a shop but def did help because gave me an eye opener to what its like to work with people with disabilities and how it can acc be really difficult to handle them all

prob doesnt seem like itd help much lmao but when am older i prob want a job that involves working with people rather than just sat behind a till so obv good to see how it is to work with people such as older people, people with disabilities, younger people and so forth :P

i really did enjoy it though haha everyone was so lovelyyy

welshcake
23-09-2014, 06:41 PM
I did work experience in a weird college sort of thing doing all admin stuff like five years ago. It was one given to me by the school. It was horrible. They didn't tell me how to get into the building properly either so every morning I would wait for this bald man to turn up, he would type in a code and I would quickly follow him in without him noticing.
It was so stupid. I could have just asked but I was too embarrassed.

They gave me £20 on my last day though. Hahaha.

Hannah
23-09-2014, 06:46 PM
I did work experience in a weird college sort of thing doing all admin stuff like five years ago. It was one given to me by the school. It was horrible. They didn't tell me how to get into the building properly either so every morning I would wait for this bald man to turn up, he would type in a code and I would quickly follow him in without him noticing.
It was so stupid. I could have just asked but I was too embarrassed.

They gave me £20 on my last day though. Hahaha.

Ah ours were told that they couldn't give us money, so we got loads of new perfume testers and make-up and that. It was good 'cause the perfume testers were like the largest bottles you could get. :P

lemons
23-09-2014, 06:54 PM
ive never had any work experience :(

i hope to do some stuff during my gap year next year

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!