PDA

View Full Version : meeting people in uni [HELP]

kuzkasate
28-09-2014, 12:30 PM
okay so I enrolled at uni yesterday, I am living off campus (commuting there by train) and obviously because it's freshers week I want to meet some new people - not even for the fact of going out for freshers or anything like that because I went to freshers here in Manchester (where I live) so I feel kind of drained (I know it's not exactly the same as going to your own freshers). I just don't want to be a loner lol.

But yeah I don't really know what to do, I mean I could wait till my lectures etc start and hopefully find someone there but I wanted to meet a few people before that, preferably not doing the same course as me. I just don't know how because I don't know a single person at the uni, I'm not living in uni accommodation so I won't meet anyone from there.

There are loads of events on this week, even today on Sunday and I wanna go to some of them because they seem fun but I can't really see myself turning up to them on my own lol, I will look like a desperate saddo and I don't want to find a random person/people and tag along.

Any advice? I realise there isn't much I can really do but maybe some of you want to share your stories of how you made friends at uni?

p.s. I'm half tempted to just get the train there now because I want to have a look round the campus again and maybe I'll meet someone idk

The Don
28-09-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't think you would look desperate if you went on your own... Everyone at Freshers is in the same boat as you and looking to meet new friends. You're at a disadvantage because most people go out with their flat mates for the first few weeks until they've made proper friends so that they aren't on their own. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to mingle and meet some people if you went on your own, but obviously that requires a certain degree of confidence. If you don't feel like that, then wait until Uni starts properly and join some clubs/talk to people on your course etc. There are tons of ways to meet new people at Uni and whilst freshers is a big part of it, it's not the only way to meet new people! I've had some of my best nights out when I've gotten separated from friends and ended up with a completely random bunch of people. If you act fun and make an effort with people you'll have such a better time.

-:Undertaker:-
28-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Can't really advise... I made my friends because we were on the same university hall.

That said, a lot of people make friends in their lessons where as I haven't really had chance as I am stretched across three subject areas so I rarely see the same people all that often, even less so when new modules come up. A friend who does Geography has made a few friends in his class because Geography has really long lessons/sessions and it's a close-knit group.

kuzkasate
28-09-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't think you would look desperate if you went on your own... Everyone at Freshers is in the same boat as you and looking to meet new friends. You're at a disadvantage because most people go out with their flat mates for the first few weeks until they've made proper friends so that they aren't on their own. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to mingle and meet some people if you went on your own, but obviously that requires a certain degree of confidence. If you don't feel like that, then wait until Uni starts properly and join some clubs/talk to people on your course etc. There are tons of ways to meet new people at Uni and whilst freshers is a big part of it, it's not the only way to meet new people! I've had some of my best nights out when I've gotten separated from friends and ended up with a completely random bunch of people. If you act fun and make an effort with people you'll have such a better time.

yeah, I'd say I was a pretty confident person but I'm not the sort of person that would approach someone first if that makes sense. Unless I felt like I really had to, say it was awkward or something.

Can't really advise... I made my friends because we were on the same university hall.

That said, a lot of people make friends in their lessons where as I haven't really had chance as I am stretched across three subject areas so I rarely see the same people all that often, even less so when new modules come up. A friend who does Geography has made a few friends in his class because Geography has really long lessons/sessions and it's a close-knit group.

It looks like I will have to rely mostly on making friends that way too, but I am going to find out about societies and stuff as well. Apparently today their was a free BBQ for commuters (which I wasn't told about, I found out from their Twitter page) so that was a bit of a **** take because it would have been full of people who are in the same boat, so now I feel like I am at a disadvantage x2.

Samantha
28-09-2014, 09:33 PM
branch; I've just seen your student card on Facebook so I'm going to do some matchmaking here.
Kyle; you go to the same university as him, go meet him and he can have a friend!

Also, my sister started university last week - on the Hudd crawl she sort of got ditched and just randomly went with other people, kepy jumping to others and found her now boyfriend from it plus friends beside. I think that'd be great to you - I understand you might not want to 'make the first move,' but the other person might feel the same way too!

Shar
28-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Go to the SU, go to any student nights and just basically start up a random conversation!

Kyle
28-09-2014, 10:32 PM
what u studyin branch can you tutor me russian

Amberr
28-09-2014, 10:42 PM
The way I made friends with alot of people at uni was through facebook groups and I found a subject specific group so I basically knew all the people on my course before I even arrived at uni so there maybe something similar for your uni you could try? dont feel like a 'saddo' going to clubs on your own, thats what they are there for is for you to find new people who are interested in the same thing. just go for it otherwise you will only regret not going.

Kyle
28-09-2014, 11:29 PM
By the way u missed the free BBQ for off campus students. Go to all events, you will 100% meet people there. And yes Fb groups are wonderful, as are societies.

~~from phone

kuzkasate
29-09-2014, 07:53 AM
@branch (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=50462); I've just seen your student card on Facebook so I'm going to do some matchmaking here.
@Kyle (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=30795); you go to the same university as him, go meet him and he can have a friend!

Also, my sister started university last week - on the Hudd crawl she sort of got ditched and just randomly went with other people, kepy jumping to others and found her now boyfriend from it plus friends beside. I think that'd be great to you - I understand you might not want to 'make the first move,' but the other person might feel the same way too!

yeah that's what I mean if I had people to go out with it would be cool but going clubbing on your own is slightly sad

Go to the SU, go to any student nights and just basically start up a random conversation!

yeah I think there are some on this week, so I'm going to give them a try

what u studyin branch can you tutor me russian

I'm studying Biomedical Sciences lol, still don't know where half my lectures are though because the campus is so big (well it seems like that to me anyway) but yeah free Russian for u

The way I made friends with alot of people at uni was through facebook groups and I found a subject specific group so I basically knew all the people on my course before I even arrived at uni so there maybe something similar for your uni you could try? dont feel like a 'saddo' going to clubs on your own, thats what they are there for is for you to find new people who are interested in the same thing. just go for it otherwise you will only regret not going.

My friend said the same thing actually, but she's in Nottingham so idk but I don't think I can force myself to go on my own lol, but I have two lectures today and a meeting with my personal tutor on Wednesday so I can meet some people there hopefully

By the way u missed the free BBQ for off campus students. Go to all events, you will 100% meet people there. And yes Fb groups are wonderful, as are societies.

~~from phone

yeah I know man I found out from their Twitter page yesterday half way through and then I started going through all the stuff they gave me at enrolment and apparently I had this voucher for a free burger lol

Kyle
29-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Biomed is a great course, there are lots of students taking it lately. You'll have lectures in 1 building (Dorothy Hodgkins I would expect) and labs in the life sciences buildin opposite. Easy enough to find. Freshers and sports fairs are on today from 10-4 and you can sign up to societies all week. Just head to the campus and mill around in the union and sports hall, even if to don't meet anyone straight away there's free pizza and people handing out stuff so no excuse not to go. Yeah the campus can get confusing but luckily there are maps like everywhere so you'll be grand.

As for meeting people in general , there are flirt nights ever Wednesday that aren't awkward to go alone to because so many do, there's a chapel that's always got people in if you're into that sort of thing, there's a 24hr library if you want to befriend Asians. Languages are awesome for meeting like minded people so take one if you can, although I think the biomed timetable is quite rigid In the first year. Most people meet others through sports and societies if not in their seminars though, so go down and get involved.

It's daunting for any new student, others just have the luxury of hall mates to fall back on. You'll find people on your course and you'll go on socials as eventually you'll have more friends than you bargained for and be wishing you could have some peace.

~~from phone

kuzkasate
29-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Biomed is a great course, there are lots of students taking it lately. You'll have lectures in 1 building (Dorothy Hodgkins I would expect) and labs in the life sciences buildin opposite. Easy enough to find. Freshers and sports fairs are on today from 10-4 and you can sign up to societies all week. Just head to the campus and mill around in the union and sports hall, even if to don't meet anyone straight away there's free pizza and people handing out stuff so no excuse not to go. Yeah the campus can get confusing but luckily there are maps like everywhere so you'll be grand.

As for meeting people in general , there are flirt nights ever Wednesday that aren't awkward to go alone to because so many do, there's a chapel that's always got people in if you're into that sort of thing, there's a 24hr library if you want to befriend Asians. Languages are awesome for meeting like minded people so take one if you can, although I think the biomed timetable is quite rigid In the first year. Most people meet others through sports and societies if not in their seminars though, so go down and get involved.

It's daunting for any new student, others just have the luxury of hall mates to fall back on. You'll find people on your course and you'll go on socials as eventually you'll have more friends than you bargained for and be wishing you could have some peace.

~~from phone

you see I got more information from you than I did from the staff! Thank you so much, I'm definitely looking at the sports fairs today after my lectures. Think most of my lectures are in Huxley or something but I'm getting there earlier to have a look around the campus and familiarise myself with it a bit more. Thanks again!

Matt
29-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Is a society just like a group or club? :rolleyes:

kuzkasate
29-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Is a society just like a group or club? :rolleyes:

i think so because there is an Asian society but I don't think I qualify

Shar
29-09-2014, 01:16 PM
i think so because there is an Asian society but I don't think I qualify

Lmao the idea is that anyone could join though!:)

kuzkasate
29-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Lmao the idea is that anyone could join though!:)

I probably would be the only non-Asian their though

but today was a good day, met a girl in one of the lectures and then met another girl in my second lecture who is on my course (she is commuting too but lives very close) and we exchanged numbers #winning

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!