PDA

View Full Version : CURRICULUM VITAE

lemons
29-09-2014, 05:38 PM
hello peeps so i want to get a part-time job because i'm sick of being bored at home all the time and everyone loves a bit of money :Money-Mouth:

however i've never had a job or any experience and i don't know how to write an attractive cv without any experience!

also to what extent can i lie

thx

Phil
29-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Love writing CV's a stuff! But yeah, have you not done any work experience in school or volunteer work or anything?

About the lying, in my opinion you can tell tiny white lies. For example, you shouldn't lie about past places you worked in or to claim to be fantastic at something you are not. Only lies I've told in interviews might have been experiences that I have learned from in my past work places such as "Tell me about a time that you had a difficult customer with a problem which was eventually solved" (was actually asked that).

A lot of people put down reading on their CV under the interests part. If you don't read and you put it down at least prepare a book or two that you can talk about that you'e "read recently" and maybe a book you are planning to read next :P

lemons
29-09-2014, 06:04 PM
nope no previous work or volunteering apart from helping my mum sometimes who is a florist

wixard
29-09-2014, 06:27 PM
dont listen to phil

i lied about working in zara and got loads of interviews

just under references write: available upon request

they never ask

lemons
29-09-2014, 06:29 PM
how many pages just 1?

kuzkasate
29-09-2014, 06:34 PM
how many pages just 1?

try to make it as short as you can (include all the relevant important info ofc but just don't waffle), employers don't really like reading lengthy CVs one page should be fine because you can't say much for past work experience/volunterring (if I were you I'd make it up) but mine is only one page because I've only had 2 jobs

wixard
29-09-2014, 06:34 PM
my cv is two pages but ive had like 7 jobs

Kardan
29-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Your CV should only use 1 sheet of A4 paper, so two pages basically.

The Don
29-09-2014, 08:14 PM
My CV is one side of A4 and I've never not at least received an interview from it. The size of it doesn't matter, it's all about quality and content. Your Name, Address, Number and Email should all be at the top of the page. The first section is usually Education with your most recent College/Sixth Form at the top (with what you studied/grades). Include your GCSE's (since you haven't got a degree so they are still relevant). Since you haven't had a job for Employment History put down your Year 11 Work Experience in that section and anything else that's relevant e.g work placements, helping in your uncles shop... Usually Qualities/About Me/Key Attribute sections are frowned upon, but considering what you're applying for and the lack of content you should add those sections. Usually it's best to not have a references section on your cv at all, but if you must put the section down just put underneath "available upon request". It'll also come in handy if you type a reference sheet up with two contacts on it to take to any interviews along with a copy of your cv.

Phil
29-09-2014, 08:26 PM
nope no previous work or volunteering apart from helping my mum sometimes who is a florist

Put it down. There's lots of good things to use there. Customer Service, Organisational Skill, Time Management (if you need to get orders done on time)

dont listen to phil

i lied about working in zara and got loads of interviews

just under references write: available upon request

they never ask

Loads of interviews but no jobs ;)

Don't listen to Tara. Some places do look for references, many of mine have. I used to have "Available on request" and they questions why I had that down :(

how many pages just 1?

one or two is sufficient. However many it takes really but keep it to the point. An interviewer won't want to read a novel

The Don
29-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Don't listen to Phil; ;) Don't put references on your CV. Have them on a separate sheet and take that with you to the interview.

Phil
29-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Don't listen to Phil; ;) Don't put references on your CV. Have them on a separate sheet and take that with you to the interview.

Ohh I've never done that nor heard of anyone doing so but I think that's good!

lRhyss
29-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Covering Letter

Often the first thing a prospective employer sees
May only spend 20 seconds on it initially
Must be good enough to be put into the ‘possible’ pile
Or it will be binned
Must be relevant to the application
On spec applications should be targeted as much as possible to the business/job you are aiming for
Must be clear, concise and to the point - no longer than one page
Must be spelling and grammar checked
Don’t rely on spellcheckers to do this.
It’s not all about you
Too much ‘I’ (I did this, I am that etc.) can be off-putting
Let the employer know what you can offer them
Not just what they can offer you
Avoid clichés, sounding pompous or ordinary

I have excellent personal skills; I am a good team player; I am hardworking/successful/dynamic…

Where is the EVIDENCE? Instead of saying you’re successful – give an example

EVERYONE says they are hardworking, excellent communicators and good team players – BE DIFFERENT!

Don’t use vague generalisms
Be careful using these words:

Aggressive, Ambitious, Competent, Creative, Detail-oriented, Determined, Efficient, Experienced, Flexible, Goal-oriented, Independent, Innovative, Knowledgeable, Logical, Motivated, Meticulous, People person, Professional, Reliable, Resourceful, Self-motivated, Successful.
All are meaningless without examples…
If you use them – be specific

Address your letter to the appropriate person

Dear Mr Gizajob or Mrs Gizajob
Don’t know the marital status? then use Ms Gizajob

Dear Sir/Madam if you don’t know the correct person

Try to find out the correct person

Create a favourable impression
Can be considered lazy not to address the letter unless it’s speculative
Speculative letter should still be targeted to the company/industry.
Start off by making yourself clear as to why you are writing
Opening paragraph

In response to your advert of January 1st in The Times I would like to…
In view of your company’s recent expansion I am writing to…
I was pleased to hear from Mr Brown that there will be/is a vacancy for a…
I am writing to apply for the position of ….. as advertised in…

http://tashload.com/Uploader/uploads//J8WtMuV.png

Sian
30-09-2014, 06:51 AM
The one thing I know is that you are well within your rights to not put references, and they shouldn't really ask you why, in finance etc they think it's odd if you do include them and job agencies never put the references on your CV.

Oh and use bullet points when describing your experience, your interests etc.

Zak
30-09-2014, 11:43 AM
My CV is two pages, so one when double-sided. Keep it concise. I include my references on my CV (for part-time positions they probably won't check them). Qualifications, Employment are the main two.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!