PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Do you think gender equality has, or ever will exist?

Kimmy
08-10-2014, 05:22 PM
http://oi57.tinypic.com/30as2lk.jpg
Do you think equality in men or women has, or ever will exist?

This question was actually posed to me in an English Literature class today by a boy who likes to provide a counterargument to everyone's statements, whether they have a valid point or not. It was completely out of context. I was analysing quotes from Frankenstein, he was looking for some typical smart-boy 'banter'. Being the quiet girl chucked into his group to do some much loved group work, I guess he figured that he'd test my wits and brains with a topic irrelevant to the work. Sure, fine. I'll answer... and then I'll write an article about it later, because that's what article writers do, isn't it? Gossip. Rant. Argue. Little did my interrogator know, my views on this particular subject run strong and firm.

I'll begin with history. in the late 1800's – early 1900's, women's station in society was substantially less than it is today. Where men worked and earned their living, the women were expected to stay at home and provide nurturing and mothering care to children, do the housework and cook the food. A man was entitled to beat his wife, so long as the stick he used was no wider than his thumb, whilst any property that a woman had was transferred to her husband at the point of marriage. The division of the sexes was certainly more stark at this point in time; one might argue that the genders were used to their roles, although the actions of Madames Fawcett and Pankhurst in the early 1900's would dispute this.

These days, of course, equality is supposedly a far more advanced and accepted idea; men and women are, prima faci, equal in every non-biological respect. There are women MPs (although not, feminists argue, enough), there are women in high positions within companies (although once again, it is argued, not enough) and many influential modern female role models (although very few of these seem to be acceptable). Some facts about gender inequality in the UK:

Only 1 in 4 MPs is a woman and women from minority ethnic groups make up only 1.2% of MPs yet comprise 4% of the UK population.

The full time gender pay gap is 10%, and the average part-time pay gap is 34.5%.

Women are entitled to 39 weeks of Statutory Maternity Pay at 90% of their average weekly earnings.

Men are entitled to an equal amount of pay for Paternity Leave, but only for two weeks, assuming that the mother/adopter has returned to work and ceased recieving their maternity pay.

Women are outnumbered 5 to 1 in the House of Commons.

Men are, on average, given 2/3rds the prison sentence as a woman for equivalent crimes.

The emancipation of women is marked in British history as an essential starting point for human progress and the transformation of society. The persistent denial of equality to one-half of the world's population is an affront to human dignity. I believe that the oppression of women is linked back to facts of history and, arguably, of evolution. The majority of societies which did not have a matriarchal religion have been patriarchal. I believe that if a woman were born a woman, and a man were born a man, then they should take the traits and qualities that they develop in early life and prosper in those traits and qualities to be who they want to be, whether a female wanted to be a fire-fighter or a builder and a man wanted to be a nurse, or a carer of children. In this day and age, that is indeed possible as opposed to the aforementioned differences, but I still believe that true equality of gender and sex will never truly and fundamentally exist because through years of tradition and induction, it is not what society has become accustomed to.

So, to answer my little English class, debate-winning interrogator, I answer above. Equality has not, in the better part existed, and, although there are hopes towards a future where we weigh out identically on the scales, I do not think it ever will truly exist.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2gvlw6c.jpg

Note: To those women who wish to be subservient to men, or to men who wish to be dominant, or vice-versa on both spectrums, I say good luck. So long as whichever partner you find yourself with is accepting of this, everyone is entitled to determine their own lifestyle.

Edited by e5 (Forum Super Moderator) - Moved from 'Current Affairs' as I feel it is better suited here.

MKR&*42
08-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Ergh god I cannot wait for another feminist vs everyone argument in this thread.

Biologically true equality can never exist, even in some of the most seemingly 'gender equal countries' (i.e. Scandinavian countries) there are still huge gaps in the ratio of men:women in construction and in nursing, despite numerous efforts to beat this barrier it still remains there.

Pay gap is also a myth that has been disproved a 100 times. It is a generalised figure that does not account for working conditions, experience, skill level etc. Warren Farrel speaks an awful lot about this in a lecture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VAZx07rOKU but it is like an hour long lmao.

Jssy
08-10-2014, 05:33 PM
im actually equality and diversity manager at college now lol so have to help college with ways of tackling the attainment gap between boys and girls but yh their will obviously always be a gender gap despite the equality pay act. What gender do you think of when you think of a consultant?

Kimmy
08-10-2014, 05:36 PM
im actually equality and diversity manager at college now lol so have to help college with ways of tackling the attainment gap between boys and girls but yh their will obviously always be a gender gap despite the equality pay act. What gender do you think of when you think of a consultant?

Depends. Marriage consultants tend to be female, surgical consultants tend to be male... It's different all around.

- - - Updated - - -

Ergh god I cannot wait for another feminist vs everyone argument in this thread.

Oh, God.

Brad
08-10-2014, 05:40 PM
An interesting read, and I will side that there will never be 100% equality for genders. Even though we try so hard to make it, as Hayden said; There are just some jobs now-a-days that just seem fit for just males or just females.

there are still huge gaps in the ratio of men:women in construction and in nursing, despite numerous efforts to beat this barrier it still remains there.

But other than that, good article!

Jssy
08-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Depends. Marriage consultants tend to be female, surgical consultants tend to be male... It's different all around.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, God.
not a marriage consultant, a clinical consultant. Did a survey from 10 classes at college and not one person answered female. When asked about nurses the majority answer is female. We had a discussion and male nurses tend to aim for the high roles such as senior and ward managers as it is high pay and more responsibility and men usually aim for power, even in a female dominated profession, but there are increasingly more girls doing male dominated roles such as engineering, mechanics and ICT.

You should look at some sociological perspectives they're really interesting. You could say that the issues with gender equality are more covert, than overt like in the 50s and 60s. When I did sociology at A-level we looked at Ann Oakley, and whilst more men do housework and responsibilities with children, she reckoned its still not equal to what women do. There are more male single parent families and homosexual families so clearly men have to do that which is a reverse of societies view on gender roles. However, women are still expected to have children and look after the home and its found strange if women don't want children, gender equality imo has improved since the 50s/60s but I doubt both sexes will ever be equal. It just can't happen

Kyle
08-10-2014, 07:06 PM
The gender inequality debate always seems to begin by tipping the scales in the favor of men. Women can become MPs, they can become bishops and they can achieve top jobs if they have the aspiration to do so, just as men can become teachers or study medicine. Yes, there is still a slight glass ceiling in some professions, but for the most part there are equal opportunities for all, regardless of what the actual gender gap is.

also to above, I don't think that asking common sense questions about professions that have always been dominated by particular genders demonstrates anything other than the fact that these people have clearly not encountered female consultants. It's just not something that females *want* to do, not anything to do with access or inequality.

So no, there won't ever be true gender equality. But why should there be? So long as the access to opportunities is equal for each gender then it shouldn't matter how evenly we are actually spread.

Jssy
08-10-2014, 07:29 PM
The gender inequality debate always seems to begin by tipping the scales in the favor of men. Women can become MPs, they can become bishops and they can achieve top jobs if they have the aspiration to do so, just as men can become teachers or study medicine. Yes, there is still a slight glass ceiling in some professions, but for the most part there are equal opportunities for all, regardless of what the actual gender gap is.

also to above, I don't think that asking common sense questions about professions that have always been dominated by particular genders demonstrates anything other than the fact that these people have clearly not encountered female consultants. It's just not something that females *want* to do, not anything to do with access or inequality.

So no, there won't ever be true gender equality. But why should there be? So long as the access to opportunities is equal for each gender then it shouldn't matter how evenly we are actually spread.
Its not necessarily a bad thing it was just to do with perceptions on peoples first thing to that comes to mind in those careers, as I'm doing my equality, diversity & rights unit :P

Kimmy
08-10-2014, 07:59 PM

More or less what I think.

Jssy
08-10-2014, 08:43 PM
It is law though for equal opportunities, if it wasn't law we wouldn't be where we are now, so an act has had to come in to force to pretty much force employers and organisations to give equal opportunities, in that they can't discriminate over gender. But I do still think it happens just covertly

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!