PDA

View Full Version : help a gurl out +rep

buttons
05-11-2014, 03:39 PM
hi
for my social psychology project i want to look at the attitudes of social scientists towards mental health, to see if they differ in their attitudes compared to people who study other disciplines. basically i assume that learning psychology/sociology will give you a different attitude towards mental health than someone who studies something less person centered.

in order to do this, i'm sending out questionnaires for people of all disciplines on their attitudes and they will be given the chance to give their reasons into why they have these attitudes.

i would be really grateful if you help me out by answering a few questions that i can then include in my research. you don't have to answer every question, your name won't be used in the research but you do need to be 18+.

so if u wanna take part please post here and i will send u the questions through pm and rep u once its done.

thnx!!!

edit: its ok if you're a past student as well.

FlyingJesus
05-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Just ask people like Dan over and over again that way you'll be proved right and get published

James
05-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah ill do it

wixard
05-11-2014, 04:43 PM
holla at me

Futz
05-11-2014, 04:52 PM
also holla

Jssy
05-11-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm 18 and doing Psychology & Health & Social Care so thats quite person centered haha, but I'll do it :)

Hannah
05-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Sure, I'll do it. ;>

jesus
05-11-2014, 06:09 PM
go on then seeing as its you

Kardan
05-11-2014, 06:56 PM
I'll give it a try.

Matthew
05-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I'll do it also :)

buttons
05-11-2014, 07:41 PM
I'm 18 and doing Psychology & Health & Social Care so thats quite person centered haha, but I'll do it :)
yeah that's perfect :)

ok thanks guys i have sent them off now. feel free to critique my questions because i will be critiquing my own research dw.

lawrawrrr
05-11-2014, 09:12 PM
If you need more people I will!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buttons
05-11-2014, 09:21 PM
the more the better.

seriously. i do not want to talk to people irl and a lot of people in my class are doing online surveys etc. for social scientists we are really not that social.

Alysha
05-11-2014, 09:22 PM
I can help, if you need an extra person...

buttons
05-11-2014, 09:24 PM
i need loads as much as possible thanks guys

Richie
05-11-2014, 11:19 PM
damn, i'm only 17 .................. but i can still do it if you want!!

Bloop
06-11-2014, 12:12 AM
I would love to help u but I'm 15 sry :(

Phil
06-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Go for it :)

:odey:
06-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I'll do it if you still need people :)

Mark
06-11-2014, 11:51 AM
I'll do it

buttons
06-11-2014, 03:14 PM
these are really helpful and interesting thanks!!!
i will get it sent to the rest of you and have given out +rep

still looking for any more volunteers

Matt
07-11-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm 18 in 4 months???

I'll do it if I'm allowed :O

buttons
07-11-2014, 07:39 PM
do ya study something mdport.; i suppose it doesn't matter as long as you're a student. i will send to ya in a bit.
@-:Undertaker:- (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=24233); wanna help out??? hehe

Ailurus
07-11-2014, 08:03 PM
I volunteer!

-:Undertaker:-
07-11-2014, 08:33 PM
do ya study something mdport.; i suppose it doesn't matter as long as you're a student. i will send to ya in a bit.
@-:Undertaker:- (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=24233); wanna help out??? hehe

sure thing, worth sending me to see if i can do it xx

The Don
07-11-2014, 09:20 PM
buttons; just seen this, i'll do one

Kyle
07-11-2014, 11:58 PM
Student ere

I remember your survey that involved those that have experience with mental health and their perception on depression. Do you think that perhaps life experience might be a swaying factor in terms of what to study, rather than the study itself opening us up to mental health. Idk maybe u mentioned this in ur survey lets do it

~~from phone

LoveToStack
08-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Yeah I'll do it.

buttons
08-11-2014, 12:18 AM
thx guys. if u havent got a pm plz remind me.

- - - Updated - - -

didnt see u there @Kyle (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=30795);! was wondering why u hadnt posted yet. will get it sent to u in a bit and u can give me some critique. yeah one of my questions is about experience so i will deffo be writing about that but it'd be too unethical to get a group with experience and group without experience so i can't study that directly. you're not allowed to actually ask for people with mental health problems specifically to study on.

buttons
09-11-2014, 08:02 PM
bump
help mehh
as long as ur a student it'll be fine

Empired
09-11-2014, 09:22 PM
I am a student but I'm not 18 for a few months :( would u like me to do it?
sounds interesting nonetheless

I was tempted to take psychology AS this yr but was deterred because the teacher was crap. Almost took sociology too but only the A2 course sounded interesting and i would only do 1 year so :/

kuzkasate
09-11-2014, 11:18 PM
go for it

buttons
10-11-2014, 09:27 PM
idk how much i have but mooooooar plz

Inseriousity.
11-11-2014, 12:56 AM
I'll do it. I'm a bit confused by the hypothesis though tbh. Isn't it essentially that those who study scientific subjects are dehumanised and that would expand outwards to other subjects? I hope that's a cliche, will be interesting to find out so you'll have to come back to us with the results.

also this is not the internet thing! did you change your mind?

buttons
11-11-2014, 10:11 AM
I'll do it. I'm a bit confused by the hypothesis though tbh. Isn't it essentially that those who study scientific subjects are dehumanised and that would expand outwards to other subjects? I hope that's a cliche, will be interesting to find out so you'll have to come back to us with the results.

also this is not the internet thing! did you change your mind?
im doing the internet thing for my dissertation, this is social psychology.

no not dehumanised. my main aim is to see if social scientists would have better attitudes to mental health seeing as they learn about what causes it and the social factors making you more likely to get it. I'm comparing their attitudes to non-social scientists. studies have actually found that mental heath professonials are more negatve in their attitudes, i suppose because they learn about it and sort of generalize everyone with it.

buttons
12-11-2014, 01:02 PM
bump
RyRy; Nemo; le harry; anyone else who has studied at college or uni help meh

Ekelektra
12-11-2014, 01:23 PM
I'll do it

RyRy
12-11-2014, 07:44 PM
GO ON THEN

le harry
13-11-2014, 10:46 AM
yah no problems

buttons
13-11-2014, 12:37 PM
thx babes
anyone else plz xx

Sho
13-11-2014, 08:27 PM
i'll do itt

buttons
14-11-2014, 03:09 PM
thx
bump
gna start writing up by nxt wk i think

Empired
14-11-2014, 03:30 PM
finally got round to answering lol
found some of the questions so difficult to explain

hope tht helps

buttons
14-11-2014, 04:18 PM
thx empired seems iv repped u recently so will have to remind myself to rep u tonight

Narnat,
14-11-2014, 09:46 PM
I would like to do it :)

Shar
15-11-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm up for it :)

-Amyy
15-11-2014, 05:10 PM
I'll do it if you still need more people :)

buttons
15-11-2014, 05:31 PM
I'll do it if you still need more people :)
tried to pm u but you've not got enough pm space!

Kyle
15-11-2014, 06:47 PM
remember to post ur findings

Shar
15-11-2014, 09:34 PM
I feel like you know all of my deepest darkest secrets now

I'm quite interested in what the findings will be

buttons
15-11-2014, 09:41 PM
i just took everyones answers, saved it on a word document and deleted the pms.
well have a guess at the findings? atm its mostly young people i've got for my research so obviously that'll have an effect and my questions/hypothesis is quite limited so i'll hve to critique. i personally believe attitudes depend on age and experience and younger and more experience would have less negative attitudes but i've not read all of them yet.

buttons
17-11-2014, 07:18 PM
oh ya im clsoing this at the end of the weak coz i think im going to do my analysis next week so if u wanna take part or still to send bk then plz do asap
but knowing me i wont finish everything until the deadline (22 dec)

alilbitoflauren
17-11-2014, 11:07 PM
I will so it for you @buttons

buttons
08-12-2014, 04:17 PM
im in the middle of writing this up but i got my results done Shar; Kyle;

i had 28 social scientists 28 non social scientists
there was no significant difference in attitudes between the two groups and all individual attitude scores were pretty low. the higher your score, the more negative your attitude is towards those with mental health

4 themes i found throughout the data were:
1) attitudes based on personal experience
2) attitudes based on the type of disorder in question
3) attitudes based on comparison to the "non mentally ill"
4) attitudes based on the impact of others' disorders on the self

hope that makes sense!

got approval for my dissertation so will be posting a new thread sometime soon on INTERNET ADDICTION AND DEPRESSION fun

FlyingJesus
08-12-2014, 04:24 PM
But isn't that the opposite of what you said would happen so you need to doctor the results to make it look like you were right

buttons
08-12-2014, 04:29 PM
i assumed there would be a difference yeah but no lol just reject my hypothesis and in discussion will use the themes to explain attitudes towards mental health so would say how my data concludes that personal experience, types of disorders, comparisons to non-mentally ill and impact on the self seem to be more important in producing our attitudes than the discipline they study.

Inseriousity.
08-12-2014, 06:05 PM
I would've been surprised if there was a difference tbh. I know scientists can be s**** (oh you're doing a social science, are you?) but not that bad haha.

buttons
08-12-2014, 06:33 PM
a hypothesis is only a hypothesis. it doesn't mean i believe it. i'm aware there are infinitely different reasons for our attitudes towards mental health but i had to do a project on attitudes between TWO DIFFERENT GROUPS based on previous research. my prediction was false and my data gave me alternative explanations into factors for attitudes towards mental health and that's a good thing.

all social research critiques their own work and everyone elses. they don't all adhere to the same belief or ask you to do the same.

Inseriousity.
08-12-2014, 06:53 PM
oh I know, I meant I'd have been surprised if your results proved it was true

buttons
08-12-2014, 06:57 PM
it was quite close to being a significant different actually but i think the reason it was higher in the second group was because less people had personal experience in that group. kinda makes sense that some people studying social science/mental health disciplines is because of experience with it and wanting to understand it
but yeah ppl have this misconception that all social science is pseudoscience but its not. my fave thing to do is critique peoples research lol

anywayyyyyyyyy my hypothesis for my dissertation is "there will be a relationship between levels of internet usage and symptoms of depression" (wanted to do mental health but she said to be specific so went for one with more research) we'll see if that one's true ;)

Kyle
08-12-2014, 08:18 PM
I think that depression can certainly lead to higher internet usage, do you think that the te relationship works both ways?

No surprises with the results, mental illness appears to affect almost everybody some way or another these days so everybody is a little more aware regardless of their area of study. Did you notice any differences other than the one you hypothesised between social scientists and others?

I agree, critiquing research is the only way to move forward. People underestimate social science by labelling it a Mickey Mouse science or whatever but it works in very much the same way as the conventional sciences and is still a useful field of study!

~~from phone

buttons
08-12-2014, 08:41 PM
nope no differences but attitudes would probably differ in people born and raised in other cultures maybe? depends on the type of coverage and social stigma they are used to i suppose

there could be a rship but im more inclined to think people with depression or those predisposed to it use the internet in the first place but then u have to think about the likes of @scottish (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=53890); who is as addicted as the rest of us but has no depression, suggesting it could be personality?

i started using the internet more when i got to the age of 14 and had started becoming self conscious irl for no apparent reason. online people actually liked me and thought i was pretty which is obv important for a 14 year old so i wanted to come online everyday but at the same time others were calling me ugly and picking out flaws. so u want to stay on for the positive but u have to take the negative that comes with it. u use it because it gives u some sort of positive reinforcement but there are risks of harm too. i still sometimes think about things people on here WHO HAVE NEVER MET ME have said about me and have focused on that rather than what anyone has said irl. if i hadn't been on here, my self esteem might not have got as bad as it did because irl people never actually called me ugly, stupid or whatever else ive had here. i still would have got the disorders cause they were already starting before i started using the internet.

but then some depressed people come online make friends find a partner so that will probably have a positive mental impact on you. too many factors to consider but it'll be interesting to see what other people think. when i make my thread ill try make it so that others can reply what they think themselves.

Josh!
09-12-2014, 10:51 PM
hi
for my social psychology project i want to look at the attitudes of social scientists towards mental health, to see if they differ in their attitudes compared to people who study other disciplines. basically i assume that learning psychology/sociology will give you a different attitude towards mental health than someone who studies something less person centered.

in order to do this, i'm sending out questionnaires for people of all disciplines on their attitudes and they will be given the chance to give their reasons into why they have these attitudes.

i would be really grateful if you help me out by answering a few questions that i can then include in my research. you don't have to answer every question, your name won't be used in the research but you do need to be 18+.

so if u wanna take part please post here and i will send u the questions through pm and rep u once its done.

thnx!!!

edit: its ok if you're a past student as well.

I just did a project on this as well :P. Just got it back.

Send me the questions you need :P

buttons
09-12-2014, 10:56 PM
I just did a project on this as well :P. Just got it back.

Send me the questions you need :P
ive finished it now! what was ur project? how did u do?

Josh!
09-12-2014, 11:02 PM
ive finished it now! what was ur project? how did u do?
Also for a social psychology class.

I/we had to to explore in-depth a specific topic within the field of social psychology.
I picked peer pressure. I did as an essay. We had to look at it and say how,what,why and it how it has an effect on youth(s).
It had to be 5 pages.

I even went to the point of asking people how they think peer pressure effected them. Most said it doesn't but it does.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!