PDA

View Full Version : 'Queer'

Alysha
15-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Basically, I have to write an essay on the strengths and weaknesses of the term 'queer' in terms of film analysis and academic debates, so I was wondering how you all define the word 'queer'? I'm trying to see the difference in generations to define it. If you could, what do you see as a strength/weakness of the term in modern society?

Thank you!

Lewis
15-11-2014, 02:08 PM
In Scotland, or at least where I am in it, it's always simply used to offend people. There's probably no difference between the word 'idiot' and 'queer' as to how people use it here. I don't personally use that word though.

In its own meaning I've always thought that queer meant that a male was very feminine, but it goes for saying any other type of word to offend people: calling someone gay where I am is also very common, but it doesn't mean that person's gay at all, all it means is that you're an idiot or don't be an idiot.

buttons
15-11-2014, 02:22 PM
only time we ever used it was in the phrase 'there's nothing queerer than folk' basically said when someone has done something 'strange' eg talk to you online constantly but then in person they don't talk to you. it was never used as an insult in the way of sexuality. not entirely sure where that phrase comes from but queer in that context meant strange/acting weird i suppose.

never really see it used in films? see it constantly on tumblr and gay sites which i think it means to be non-hetrosexual and maybe non binary?

scottish
15-11-2014, 02:22 PM
derogatory term for a gay person

mostly used as a general insult (similar to how gay is used as an insult, but queer is meant to be a 'better' insult)

- - - Updated - - -

where i'm from it's never used for 'strange' (although that's the actual definition of the word) just an insult really

lawrawrrr
15-11-2014, 02:29 PM
omg I did a whole essay on this, I loved queer theory so much!! I could go into so much technical detail but I'll leave it simple

I define it (mainly due to my academic knowledge) as sort of "Challenging the norms" - generally adopted to refer to gender and sexuality but has been expanded in modern society to cover a wide range of behaviours and thoughts, from just acting a bit strange to having non-"mainstream" thoughts. It's changed a lot over the years, and some people have an old definition so there's a lot of arguments and confusion surrounding it when someone identifies as it or identifies someone ELSE as it

Strength: It can be used as an umbrella term when it comes to non-'traditional' sexualities or genders, and some people might find it more comfortable to identify as that rather than their obscure (that's not in a sarcastic or passive aggressive sense) gender/sexuality - and would also make it easier for the.... less informed/ignorami... to understand those obscurities.

Weakness: Umbrella terms can also be a weakness because they don't really describe each person's individual thoughts, feelings, situation, ideologies etc. Also, there are a lot of differing ideas about what Queer is so some people will think it just means strange, some people will think it means gay, some just challenging norms like myself - so there's confusion which could lead to more serious things - bullying, violence etc, just because people don't have a solid definition!

Hope that helps :)

Alysha
15-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Thank you everyone!
lawrawrrr; that really helped! I cried a bit, I couldn't think of how to word it and you summed it up perfectly.

lawrawrrr
15-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Thank you everyone!
@lawrawrrr (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=61966); that really helped! I cried a bit, I couldn't think of how to word it and you summed it up perfectly.
:) If you want anything else, do let me know, it was honestly my favourite topic in all the 3 years of uni :)

-:Undertaker:-
16-11-2014, 10:45 AM
I hear it and use it myself as an insult.

But if i'm reading, I also understand it to mean strange especially in older books.

Jurv
16-11-2014, 11:17 AM
james arthur used it in a rap which is why people say he's homophobic lol

i don't think it's ever or rarely used to insult sexuality, i just see it as an everyday insult to call someone odd/weird

Evanora
16-11-2014, 11:24 AM
I hear it and use it myself as an insult.

ur transparent insecurities are showing

ot yes cool thread good luck

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!