PDA

View Full Version : Notable Novels - Ends 18th December

MKR&*42
05-12-2014, 10:50 PM
http://habbox.com/text/Keyboard/Notable+Novels

Reading. Something that I used to love to do as a child and into my young teens (before I got stuck in the online world :() purely because of the excitement you could get from one book. Your imagination could run wild and every colour of the spectrum would appear as a melody in your head, ahhh. I recently remembered a book I read a very long time back titled "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder. Whilst I don't recall much about the book itself, I do remember that it jump started my interest in philosophy and got me way more interested about deeper thought in the world right up to this very day.

Oops I'm rambling! For this competition, I'd like you to name a book that had a major impact on your life and how so. The most interesting answer shall win!

Prize: 5 credits + 15 rep

Honor-Branch
14-12-2014, 06:32 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird

Made me realize the injustices that still occur today in this world.

Harry98
15-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Harry Potter

*sigh* I don't wanna think about it... It brings me a lot of trauma :( About my friends, life, and more...

Alysha
15-12-2014, 11:06 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird

Made me realize the injustices that still occur today in this world.

This. Just this.

I would add that this book also let me realise the differences in the world and that a little kindness can go a long way.

Danny
15-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Harry Potter, it's just one of those books that fully takes you into their world, most people wish they could be a witch/wizard. I'm still waiting for my very late Owl in the hope I will be swept off to Hogwarts. I will always be a Hufflepuff either way!

RandomManJay
15-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Not sure if it can be classed as a novel, but Captain Underpants was an important book in my childhood.

I used to have a serious issue with fiction books when growing up where I just couldn't maintain any level of interest. I loved science books and books about space, but I never wanted to take books like that into school (mostly because they were my own and I was selfish :)). It resulted in me getting lower marks in English and Reading in terms of effort because I was never seen to be reading by my teachers. I ended up having to do paired reading and such which just ended up with me finishing early because the person doing it didn't understand how I needed the practice.

I can't remember how old I was, but at one point my teacher told me I had to pick a book and read it, and after numerous attempts I found Captain Underpants in the corner of one of the other classrooms.

Reading it was the first time in a while where I actually took an interest, and was the first time where that interest had stuck. The only books I really read prior to that were some book my mum had when she was a child while I was grounded, and A Mouse Called Wolf. The level of randomness and humour was high enough for me to be entertained, and I ended up reading the next 3/4 books before moving on to other things.

I don't know if it's why I like reading fiction books more nowadays, but I definitely get nostalgic when I come across it in a bookstore.

Chloe7355
18-12-2014, 09:26 PM
The Hunger Games,

cos it's the only book set i'm actually into :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!