PDA

View Full Version : Travel Help , please?

Kimmy
14-12-2014, 02:03 PM
So, I've just bought my tickets to get the train to Scotland this coming saturday and I just read the journey breakdown that they printed off for me at the station and 10 HOURS AND 50 MINUTES, what???

I'm going to be on my own for the whole of this journey, and since it cost more to either go first class/have net I won't have any connection for the whole 11 hours. I always take books and my headphones, but what else can I do to pass time? I always find it so hard to sleep because I'm scared to miss my stop (even if it is 11 hours), and because I always think people will sit on me or something if I lie down.

What do you do to pass time on your journeys? Help me out! +rep

buttons
14-12-2014, 02:12 PM
so how much connections do you have? 11 hours seems a long time unless you're coming from the very south of England or something to Scotland?

whats the times between connections? if it's less than 30 minutes you can probably get to the train early, get your bags in and find a seat. if it's longer then i'd go get something to eat.

i usually just listen to music on long journeys or try do some uni work or read dunno what else you can do. all scottish trains i've had do free internet but not when im going out the country.

Kimmy
14-12-2014, 02:14 PM
so how much connections do you have? 11 hours seems a long time unless you're coming from the very south of England or something to Scotland?

whats the times between connections? if it's less than 30 minutes you can probably get to the train early, get your bags in and find a seat. if it's longer then i'd go get something to eat.

i usually just listen to music on long journeys or try do some uni work or read dunno what else you can do. all scottish trains i've had do free internet but not when im going out the country.

I'm coming from Cornwall. It's the Western rail too so it'll go up and around england to all of the western places like Peterborough and Norwich and York z

Also, it's a straight through journey. I always get there super early so that I can get a seat first

Kyle
14-12-2014, 02:17 PM
get an audio book narrated by a soft voice, close your eyes, and immerse yourself in the story. if you're not planning on sleeping definitely make sure you sleep as much as possible beforehand. but wtf laying down to sleep on a train? just sleep sitting up.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm coming from Cornwall. It's the Western rail too so it'll go up and around england to all of the western places like Peterborough and Norwich and York z

Also, it's a straight through journey. I always get there super early so that I can get a seat first
do you mean eastern or are you just bad at geography and guessing

lemons
14-12-2014, 02:19 PM
maybe download a whole tv series and watch it on your laptop/tablet or a few films

buttons
14-12-2014, 02:20 PM

ah so it's just one journey straight the way through? i prefer that to connections cause sometimes i miss connections or if they're a long waiting time i hate having to wait.
you can sleep if your stop is the last stop, or set an alarm or have someone ring you before your stop? you could download some stuff to watch on your laptop or something instead of relying on the internet, although probably be difficult to get a full 10 hours on laptop battery :P

Phil
14-12-2014, 02:22 PM
You can moderate. ;)

Kimmy
14-12-2014, 02:35 PM
You can moderate. ;)

Nah m9

NO NET

- - - Updated - - -

maybe download a whole tv series and watch it on your laptop/tablet or a few films

I've downloaded series 2 of orange is the new black but I know I won't be able to concentrate on just that. Was maybe thinking of taking some of my art stuff and doing that but idk

- - - Updated - - -

get an audio book narrated by a soft voice, close your eyes, and immerse yourself in the story. if you're not planning on sleeping definitely make sure you sleep as much as possible beforehand. but wtf laying down to sleep on a train? just sleep sitting up.

- - - Updated - - -

do you mean eastern or are you just bad at geography and guessing

Oops. Yeah, I'm horrible at geography. But it's called First Great Western and it goes up East, and then snakes around to the West? I like to lay across the two seats if the other one's not reserved shh

Shockwave.2CC
16-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Sleep but set an Alarm on your phone for the approx time you should arrive. Maybe even set it for like 30 mins before you should arrive

Alysha
16-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Download films and watch them on the way.

James
17-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Try and trade your tickets for a more direct route instead of touring the UK, if possible, to speed up the journey :P

Kimmy
18-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Try and trade your tickets for a more direct route instead of touring the UK, if possible, to speed up the journey :P

I'm a cheapo ; this was the only journey available really. :c

MKR&*42
18-12-2014, 10:19 PM
11 hours what the hell oh my God.

All i can really recommend (that youve already said) is the books. Try to get up and walk around the train as well and mayb stand by the entrance door windows for a bit of fresh air jus so u dont feel too stuffy. Longest journey ive done is about three and a bit hours via train and that was hard enuf i feel 4 you.

And first great western is called that cause it primarily deals with trainlines going to/from the south west ;) it doesnt just only go west lmaoo.

Kimmy
18-12-2014, 10:23 PM
11 hours what the hell oh my God.

All i can really recommend (that youve already said) is the books. Try to get up and walk around the train as well and mayb stand by the entrance door windows for a bit of fresh air jus so u dont feel too stuffy. Longest journey ive done is about three and a bit hours via train and that was hard enuf i feel 4 you.

And first great western is called that cause it primarily deals with trainlines going to/from the south west ;) it doesnt just only go west lmaoo.

It's so hard to walk normally because people leave their bags and their children in the middle of the lanes. The windows might be a good idea especially if they have those windows that actually open like the last train I was on...
I feel for me too , I'm going to die ; get off of the train and some major event will have happened and I'll miss it because I'm on the bloody train

LouisBergev
14-01-2015, 06:30 AM
Best time pass while travel are:
Sleep, Taking Photographs, Writing a Travel Diary, Games and Fun, Making New Friends, reading books, music.
And my favorite one Window Gazing.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!