PDA

View Full Version : Should abortion techniques be taught alongside sex education/abortion itself?

-:Undertaker:-
26-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Should abortion techniques be taught alongside sex education/abortion itself?

http://abortion.uslegal.com/files/2009/11/abortion.jpg

In schools, abortion and sex education are pretty much rooted within the science and education system with little or no chance of this being reversed at the current time. In addition, much emphasis is always placed on the ability of children to learn about abortions, STDs and contraception options. There's one key difference between the three however, that whilst children are taught and shown the graphic results of STDs and actually handed out contraception - it's very rare if not unknown that the graphic methods of abortion are shown or even discussed in the classrooms.

Do you support abortion yourself or are you against it? Have you yourself found out the techniques of or watched an abortion? Do you believe it should be taught in schools if abortion itself is to be taught in order to give the not so pleasant side of the practice?

There are plenty of nifty prizes to be won within this forum and within the coming weeks we'll hopefully have some new awards and prizes to be won in this forum and beyond. Focus on putting a good argument forward, try to be controversial and you'll be rewarded!

The debate is open to you.

buttons
26-01-2015, 02:16 PM
no we didn't learn about it.... im not sure if learning about it would be good or bad but people should know their rights when it comes to abortion. im for abortion but not when people are using it each time they get pregnant because they don't get contraception... it's their body and i don't believe it should be policed but i really don't like when people do that, although im sure it's very few people who do that.

i was always against abortion for myself but i think if i got pregnant through rape i would find it hard to bond with the baby. in future when i get pregnant, i have the option to screen that pregnancy very early on for a genetic disorder that is seriously life limiting. in the case that my baby does have it, i think the best option for myself and the baby would be to abort.

i guess the practice should be taught to people rather than benefits versus cons cause it's not really up to anyone to persuade someone whether they have the baby or not.

FlyingJesus
26-01-2015, 04:45 PM
We had a small focus on abortion for a bit and they showed some film of Cher getting shot but I don't really see a need for anything more than a single session on how it works as an actual process because it's simply not that involved, and gore isn't what schools are for :P everyone knows for example that if you have a tumour you can have it surgically removed and that it's a pretty good idea to go ahead with that procedure, but you don't make people look at surgical videos and tumour dissections before they can do it. Not comparing a foetus to a tumour obv just saying that medical/surgical procedures don't necessarily need to be graphically understood to be of benefit

Landon
28-01-2015, 03:04 AM
In my opinion, educating abortion technique is overall a terrible idea. Yes, I understand it is Sex Education, but please. Imagine the religious and political hatred that will be received. America is full of it.

Lewis
28-01-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm completely against abortion and I do personally think it's murder, nothing can and nobody can change my opinion of that, although I'd never judge someone for it. If you saw my replies in the last debate about abortion, you'll know nobody can make me think otherwise lol.

But the fact is simple: not everybody has the same opinion as me, perhaps even the majority don't. I think it should be taught in schools despite my own personal beliefs.

MKR&*42
28-01-2015, 05:10 PM
You know I'm actually going to say yes the techniques should be taught. I support any individual's right to abort a child, but I've never actually been taught (or even bothered to find out myself) about what actually happens during a medical abortion. I only really know about ''backstreet abortions'' that used to be common-ish.

But yeah I think it would be nice if maybe only the 16 year olds (I wouldn't like to discuss it with like someone in year 7 really) were educated about abortion techniques and stuff :P

Our school was very "STI focused" as opposed to abortion focused.

Jssy
29-01-2015, 12:29 AM
Yes because its shocking. We were shown in ethics and after the foetus had been removed it was still moving until it died and the surgeon was poking it with a metal thing. I think if you're prepared to have sex you need to know about how abortion works. We also saw an abortion being carried out whilst there was an ultrasound on the screen. I don't agree with abortion, only on cases where a woman has been raped or where her life is at risk. However I think individuals need to see the effects of abortion, itx not always a straight forward procedure and it carries risks, they need to see the consequences of not having careful sex.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

Alkaz
29-01-2015, 12:50 AM
Your options in the poll are too black and white to really make any kind of selection.

There are many reasons why a woman would opt for an abortion and I think you would get into a really lengthy debate about the morals behind each reason, right or wrong. Who are we to decide what is right or wrong for anybody. With things such as abortion I think the only way to ensure people are making fully informed decisions is through education so I think that it should be taught in education. If people are not using contreception, becoming pregnant and then having that baby aborted, I feel that is completely wrong. That is the man and womans fault and that should be totally discouraged. However as others have said, it could come from an incestuous relationship, rape, anything then I think that the mother should have the option to abort the baby. However people need to realise that it isn't a simple decision to make and it isn't like taking some paracetamol and your headache goes away. If people have the information then they can only make the best, most informed decision for themselves, regardless of what others think.

30-01-2015, 12:58 AM
Your options in the poll are too black and white to really make any kind of selection.

There are many reasons why a woman would opt for an abortion and I think you would get into a really lengthy debate about the morals behind each reason, right or wrong. Who are we to decide what is right or wrong for anybody. With things such as abortion I think the only way to ensure people are making fully informed decisions is through education so I think that it should be taught in education. If people are not using contreception, becoming pregnant and then having that baby aborted, I feel that is completely wrong. That is the man and womans fault and that should be totally discouraged. However as others have said, it could come from an incestuous relationship, rape, anything then I think that the mother should have the option to abort the baby. However people need to realise that it isn't a simple decision to make and it isn't like taking some paracetamol and your headache goes away. If people have the information then they can only make the best, most informed decision for themselves, regardless of what others think.

As a culture and as mankind we make those decisions all of the time. I am against abortion because looking at it - as well as how an abortion is performed which to me sounds like something on a Dr Mengel horror scale - I believe an innocent unborn child has a right to life and that a mother (in most cases of abortions) made the decision to have sex which resulted in a pregnancy: in other words, they should take responsibility for their actions and not place them on an unborn child.

I'm completely with others on teaching abortion techniques: it's high time people were exposed to the mass butchering that is abortion. It's horrific.

Joe
30-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Teaching abortion techniques? Absolutely stupid - the only advice anyone going through such an ordeal would be to simply go to their GP and tell them about it. If the GP doesn't authorise, you simply go private and they will. But no, being taught 'techniques' would be the completely wrong way to go about anything, especially in the fact some could take it literally or too far and end up causing serious damage to themselves.

Personally, i agree with abortion, but that maybe because I'm male and will never have to go through with it myself. I only agree with it in the sense it's your body and your life, and if a child will get in the way you should be free to make that decision. My opinion is, despite obviously once a baby develops in the womb after a certain number of weeks (not sure exactly) they are then considered to have a life, but I think of it in the sense, if the baby in the womb doesn't have their mother constantly supplying them with oxygen and food and nutrients etc, they would die. They are fully dependant on their mother's, so I can't comprehend how they fit into human rights laws. Anyway, this is about techniques, not the actual subject of abortion.

Teaching any techniques, long story short, is an idiotic idea. Tell them to seek medical help.

30-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Teaching abortion techniques? Absolutely stupid - the only advice anyone going through such an ordeal would be to simply go to their GP and tell them about it. If the GP doesn't authorise, you simply go private and they will. But no, being taught 'techniques' would be the completely wrong way to go about anything, especially in the fact some could take it literally or too far and end up causing serious damage to themselves.

Not for them to do it themselves: to teach both sides to the quick 'solution' of an abortion and exactly what it as a procedure entails aka cracking the head/skull of a baby foetus open in the womb and essentially sucking it out of the womb via a vaccum.

I always remember this (and reading into the methods you are disgusted) as another example of something that you never hear airtime given to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkAsLPrnJGc

Joe
31-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Not for them to do it themselves: to teach both sides to the quick 'solution' of an abortion and exactly what it as a procedure entails aka cracking the head/skull of a baby foetus open in the womb and essentially sucking it out of the womb via a vaccum.

I always remember this (and reading into the methods you are disgusted) as another example of something that you never hear airtime given to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkAsLPrnJGc

Apologies, I misunderstood. I guess the actual processes of abortion could be taught, but it should really remain scientific, not taught in lessons such as social education or such, more Biology instead.

Showder
02-02-2015, 12:09 PM
I've studied sex education in school but I hope that they'll never implement abortion techniques mainly because it's useless and can be quite traumatising and life-threatening to others. Also, abortion is considered a 'greater evil' in several countries - including the one I live in and having techniques taught in school in regards to the subject is somehow quite disrespectful to the culture.

In my opinion though, abortion is a terrifying thing to go through. You witness the loss of a life (though many people may argue that at that point of time, the baby isn't really a 'life' yet) of someone who could've had a chance to live and this may prove to be a huge emotional wreck for women who had to suffer through this event. I don't get how some people are able to withstand this situation traumatically on a large-scale and I definitely don't agree with some when they say that abortion helps lessen overpopulation. You might as well murder grown-ups or other human beings in that case.

Anyway, back to the topic. Abortion definitely shouldn't be taught in school unless of course, parents of the student agree to that sorta thing. It's also quite a tough thing to watch - since I've had to sit through a 5 minute video on the pro's and con's of abortion during our general Science class. Very agonizing and emotional (especially for the girls in my class), if you ask me.

Empired
02-02-2015, 06:42 PM
I believe abortion should be touched on in schools as it is important for people to know what happens if you don't want to keep a baby. However we shouldn't go into too much detail; I know I learned about abortion in school through part of my science course so I found out about what happened in a purely scientific light and was allowed to form my opinions for myself.

Girls should really be taught about abortion when they are considering going through with it as it's obviously important for them to know exactly what they are doing to themselves their baby/foetus and the possible effects this will have on their life.

Krazybethw
03-02-2015, 02:11 AM
I agree with abortions to an extend. Personally I would never have one but I understand why people do. I think that the basics should be taught but not too in detail. I dont even remember learning anything about abortion. On the othet hand, teenage pregnancy is still relatively high so teaching people on std's and contraceptive isnt really working is it? When I was in my last year of secondary school around 4-5 girls were pregnant or already had a baby in my uear group. I aldo know people who have just turned 18 and has two babies.

Bobozia
04-03-2015, 03:53 PM
I am completely in agreement with abortions, people make mistakes. We are taught that from day one. So, if someone makes a mistake then they should be given the tools to rectify that 'mistake'. Further to this, if a woman is sexually attacked, then she should be allowed to be given the opportunity to abort a resulting pregnancy. It must be terrible for a mother to look at her child and be reminded by such a daunting and life-changing memory.
As such, we need to make it as easy for a woman to abort her pregnancy. Giving women the knowledge of exactly how, sometimes, brutal the abortions can be could well turn them away from making this decision. We should not force that upon girls whilst also learning about sexual activity etc.
It may seem wrong to lie, or lie by omission, but sometimes lying is necessary, for me, abortion and how exactly they occur is one of those times.
I understand there are religions which ban abortions and any use of family preventative techniques, but I feel that the woman's rights must come above anything else. Without the ability for NQA abortions, women will not be truly equal.

OldLoveSong
04-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Wasnt taught about abortion til i think grade 9 health. There should maybe be one lecture about all of your options in an unwanted pregnancy, including adoption alongside abortion.

Explorator
08-03-2015, 12:04 AM
I think it should be taught to students. I remember learning about it in my RE classes and it never did anyone there any harm.

Abortion should be allowed IMO, since the babyisn't conscious and it couldn't survive on its own outside of the womb before something like 22 weeks.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!