PDA

View Full Version : Should three-person babies be allowed to go ahead?

Danny
04-02-2015, 12:10 PM
MPs have voted yes to allow three-person babies to be created, for want of a better word.

Source, BBC News.

In a free vote in the Commons, 382 MPs were in favour and 128 against the technique that stops genetic diseases being passed from mother to child.
During the debate, ministers said the technique was "light at the end of a dark tunnel" for families.
A further vote is required in the House of Lords. It everything goes ahead then the first such baby could be born next year.
Proponents said the backing was "good news for progressive medicine" but critics say they will continue to fight against the technique that they say raises too many ethical and safety concerns.

Obviously it is great that they are looking for ways for families to have their own children but is this really evolution? Or can you see any potential flaws occuring? Could they give false hope to families that already have had such heartbreak? Or should this be seen as a positive thing entirely?

David Cameron can be quoted saying: "We're not playing god here, we're just making sure that two parents who want a healthy baby can have one."

But are they playing god?

Or could this potentially have other consequences, as we already have enough struggles with too many people on this planet, creating more would add to those struggles.

What's your views on this, guys?

Landon
27-03-2015, 08:52 PM
I don't understand this.
How could three-person babies be created?

Lewis
27-03-2015, 08:55 PM
I don't understand this.
How could three-person babies be created?

Science of course, although I'm sure most people like myself and you don't know the full details of it :P.

I'm sure this debate was already created but I might be wrong. I certainly see nothing wrong with three-person babies as long as they aren't under any health threats and legal matters with parents have been dealt with beforehand.

Saying they're playing God is like saying that taking chemotherapy to help cancer is playing God -- it isn't.

Landon
27-03-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm not entirely sure that this would be the smartest thing to attempt.
Although, with what Lewis said, I don't see much wrong if it could be pulled off without health issues.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!