PDA

View Full Version : Resignation Question

Phil
07-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Hey,

My girlfriend is gonna quit her job (works in same place as me but different dept.). She's going to resign tomorrow but she's going to EMAIL her resignation. I personally think it's unacceptable to send a resignation by email, what does everyone think?

;lll

Martin
07-02-2015, 07:37 PM
I know some places require written notice etc (and obviously a certain amount of time given as notice), otherwise it could definitely affect her reference etc?

I've not really heard of resigning by email though haha!

Joe
07-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Personally I think she should do it via letter (written). I think it's unprofessional.

lawrawrrr
07-02-2015, 08:12 PM
I personally wouldn't resign over email, would prefer face to face, but it can be easier for people who don't like confrontation about things!

Inseriousity.
07-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Resign over PM duh.

lmao yeah over email seems a bit dodgy, like you're just trying to avoid doing it face-to-face.

!:random!:!
07-02-2015, 08:54 PM
normally its letter or face to face and you have to give a months notice

Alysha
07-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Yeah, just make the email into a letter and give it in that way, they much prefer the hard copy.

A
07-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Most places require a written letter of resignation, and not by email. Would be something i'd recommend to be fair.

xxMATTGxx
07-02-2015, 09:33 PM
At least she is informing them, I've seen people leave company before and not even mention it to management. So they wonder for a few days why haven't they come into work.

Alkaz
07-02-2015, 09:57 PM
At least she is informing them, I've seen people leave company before and not even mention it to management. So they wonder for a few days why haven't they come into work.
What the heck, that's so dumb of them lmao.

Tell her to write a letter then hand it to her dept manager.

Phil
08-02-2015, 12:35 AM
Yeah she's not good with confrontation (unless she's confronting me ;ll) so I guess that's why she's taking this route

The Don
08-02-2015, 12:45 AM
Yeah she's not good with confrontation (unless she's confronting me ;ll) so I guess that's why she's taking this route

As long as it's in writing and you meet the notice period that is stated in your contract it doesn't really matter how you resign. She should still turn up to any shifts within her notice period otherwise she's not going to be getting any favourable references from them in the future.

Chippiewill
08-02-2015, 03:02 AM
Unless she doesn't want a good reference then she should write a letter (On paper) and give a reasonable amount of notice.

Lindsey
08-02-2015, 04:22 AM
I have written a letter before and handed it in, a lot more professional also leaves on better terms.

Yupt
09-02-2015, 02:00 AM
Yes a properly formatted letter is the way forward. It also gives them time to think privately about what to say when they speak to you too.

Calum0812
09-02-2015, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if company's prefer an email now-a-days. Depending on the size, it may be easier to get an email to the right place than a handwritten letter. With the way things are going now, too, I don't see an email as unprofessional providing it is
a) formatted well
b) grammatically correct
c) sent from an email that is professional (not [email protected])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!