PDA

View Full Version : Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate

Matt
12-02-2015, 02:34 AM
So in a few weeks I'm turning 18 and I've always liked the idea of working in a bar and therefore I'd need an RSA Certificate in order to apply. It might be different in the Uk so I'm not entirely sure, but yeah over here you just have to be 18 and provide ID (I think). You can do it online too as I was talking to people at work and they both have their RSA Certificate. I think it would be a really good thing to have as it opens up quite a few opportunities (especially for a Uni Student looking for work).

Those of you who don't know what it is:

You will learn to:

Legally sell, serve and promote alcohol
Measure standard drinks and advise patrons
Assess and monitor the levels of intoxication of patrons
Sell or serve alcohol responsibly
Assist customers to drink within appropriate limits
Assess alcohol-affected customers and identify customers to whom sale or service must be refused
Refuse to provide alcohol to intoxicated patrons
Detect and prevent underage drinking

You also need it if you want to work in the following professions/areas:

Licensees (varies in some states)
Staff serving or supplying alcohol
Security staff in licensed premises or events
Airline staff
Backpackers looking for work
Clubs and societies who sell alcohol
Aged care and hospital staff
Hospitality staff serving alcohol including cafe, restaurants and bars
Bed and breakfast / hotels / motels where alcohol is served
Alcohol delivery
Wine tasting or cellar door staff

Basically I'm just interested to see how many people on the forum have theirs (or the equivalent in their country), whether or not you plan on getting one when you're old enough and/or if you think they're good things to have.

e5
12-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Never heard of that? Do you need that to literally work behind a bar?

Matt
12-02-2015, 07:51 AM
e5; yeah you need to have it if you want to be able to serve alcohol as part of your job.

Idk what they have in England though, if they have anything at all!? You might not even have anything in place haha.

e5
12-02-2015, 10:14 AM
That's crazy, I could walk in a bar and ask for a job and it's as easy as that

UnrealGoffEmo
12-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Great for you O.P - I have always, always dreamed of such a course when am old enough Lol

Sounds amazing and I bet you'll learn tons from it too and get a fab insight!

Zak
12-02-2015, 11:40 AM
I did some serving in a pub a long time ago. I've never heard of an RSA certificate :P

j0rd
12-02-2015, 12:23 PM
i've worked in bars and clubs for almost 5 years and i've never heard of one of these

Matt
12-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Well then ;/

Just another one of Australia's unnecessary rules that they put in place for the fun of it. Probably so they can get money out of us as it's normally around $70 to complete. I don't think you're allowed to get a job in a bar or club without one over here so I kinda guess I have no choice but to do it!!

I didn't know the UK didn't have them though, interesting.

Inseriousity.
12-02-2015, 03:33 PM
lmao that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard

ihatehash
14-02-2015, 11:58 PM
I have heard of it however I believe it is only necessary if you want to be a duty manager (that is how it is in New Zealand anyway) as in you being the person responsible for the bar at that time, not just the person pouring a beer.

Phil
17-02-2015, 11:24 AM
That sounds pretty good, we most certainly do not have it here. The amount of people illegally working in bars here would probably shock you then lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!