PDA

View Full Version : Module Choice

dbgtz
24-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Hello. I'm just curious as to getting people's opinions before I choose. Basically, I get to pick 2 modules to do next year, either 2 maths related modules or 1 maths and 1 language. The language one has no chance of counting towards my degree classification, so I'm wondering how beneficial you think it would be to do it as having a language does help.
Also, if you think it's worth doing a language, I'm curious as to see what you think would be the best choice out of French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Mandarin, taking into account the likelihood of achieving a good mark and how useful it could be in my life.

lemons
24-02-2015, 11:54 PM
mandarin

china are taking over the world!!!

David
25-02-2015, 12:04 AM
mandarin will be the most useful of the languages

-:Undertaker:-
25-02-2015, 12:24 AM
The Spanish or French would realistically be more useful as you're far more likely to use them unless you move out to the Orient. :P

Kyle
25-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Personally I take (Russian) language modules as part of my degree and find that because it's beginner-intermediate it takes a lot of pressure away from otherwise very reading-heavy assignments and requires less effort in terms of preparation for classes and assignments which is a nice release. If you're at uni solely for a maths degree then take the maths module; if you want to experience something a bit different and break up monotony, take a language. Who knows, you might even enjoy it and want to take it even further.

In terms of what to go for, it really depends on your goal outcome. If you want something easy to pick up that you can get a good grade in with very little effort then go for French, German or Spanish. If you want a language that less people speak that will impress ladies, go for Italian. If you want to be challenged, go for one of the others. As for widespread application and 'usefulness' - French, Mandarin and Spanish are your best bets.

-Nick
25-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Mandarin would be a useful language to know. If you ever want to go high in a production company, you will most likely find yourself speaking to someone in China who may not know English.

Kardan
25-02-2015, 09:45 PM
So you have the choice between 2 maths modules, which will both count towards your degree?

Or 1 maths which will count, and a language that won't count. In this case, I'm guessing all of your maths modules will be worth more individually, since they have to make up the credits for you taking the language module?

I guess it depends really if you're confident on the other maths modules you have to take and whether you're comfortable with them 'counting more' towards your degree. I would personally make the choice on whether I was any good at the maths module you're considering of ditching for the language - if you think you could get a good result in that module, I'd take it over the language.

Of course if taking the language module means one less exam that count towards your degree, that's also a nice advantage.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!